Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarq2008 View Post
Hi All, I am not sure why I have not run across this page yet. My family (3 Kids (Ages 12,10 and 7) and wife) and I are proud owners of an X254. Its greate to see others with this model. We purchased it brand new in the spring of 2016. We have loved the floor layout as the quad bunks was very important to us. We have come from a line of Hybrid campers where I was getting sick of the leaks one of which replace a complete front floor. I did have an issue with it (Which im curious if others have) that I managed to get covered with warranty just outside of the warranty. The rear wall on passenger side started to separate from the side wall up about 3 feet. The said either the screws broke or the stripped out. It wasnt a good thing to notice when you are in the middle of a 3000 mile camping vacation.

The other thing with the slide that I am seeing not and this might be just due to may lack of maintenance on that part as im not sure exactly what to do is the slide seems to be harder and harder to get out almost to the point where it wont go out all the way. I had found a couple of other posts that the slide is to heavy for the motor which has lead to the motor failing. Has anyone else had this?

The Last one, Have any of you seen where it seems as though the floor is getting soft at what looks like the seams? We have soft parts of the floor that are about 4 feet apart and run width wise dependent on the higher traffic walking areas. With our previous camper leak issues I immediately went to thinking we have a leak some where but the soft part is only about a 2-3 inch wide area along what to me seems like a seam in the floor.

Other than these couple of things we have enjoyed this camper very much. We have tossed around the idea of semi remodeling the rear by the bed to instead of having the big U shaped couch to having a what i call Normal dinnet table and find a futon type couch like our old floor plan had.

Looking forward to hear from you and your experiences.

The Marquettes

Does the slide out respond differently when plugged in compared to running off the battery?

I haven't noticed a change it ours. It would be great if you could post a video or alink to a video of it running the full cycle.

We also have soft parts in the floor. My understanding is it's cheap construction, not water intrusion. I'm a big guy, and now make a conscious effort to step on the floor joists. it's unfortunate, but I love everything else so much, I tolerate it.

I'm always on the look out for a steal of a deal for an 2012ish Outback for this reason. They were better constructed, but finding a deal to make it worth switching has been impossible.

We also love it. We really like the big dinette at the back. It allows all of us to sit at the table at once, and we are a family of six. I think if you really wanted to switch it out, it would probably be worth getting an Outback with it from the factory after the time and expense is added up. Plus it would solve your floor problem.

I'll try to post an update video of all the things we have installed or repaired.
kraigf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigf View Post

I'm always on the look out for a steal of a deal for an 2012ish Outback for this reason. They were better constructed, but finding a deal to make it worth switching has been impossible.

I'll try to post an update video of all the things we have installed or repaired.

What is the attraction for a 2012ish Outback? Is there a certain model they made then that is similar to our X254?

Also, I am looking forward to your video of repairs and new installs.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarq2008 View Post
Hi All, I am not sure why I have not run across this page yet. My family (3 Kids (Ages 12,10 and 7) and wife) and I are proud owners of an X254. Its greate to see others with this model. We purchased it brand new in the spring of 2016. We have loved the floor layout as the quad bunks was very important to us. We have come from a line of Hybrid campers where I was getting sick of the leaks one of which replace a complete front floor. I did have an issue with it (Which im curious if others have) that I managed to get covered with warranty just outside of the warranty. The rear wall on passenger side started to separate from the side wall up about 3 feet. The said either the screws broke or the stripped out. It wasnt a good thing to notice when you are in the middle of a 3000 mile camping vacation.

The other thing with the slide that I am seeing not and this might be just due to may lack of maintenance on that part as im not sure exactly what to do is the slide seems to be harder and harder to get out almost to the point where it wont go out all the way. I had found a couple of other posts that the slide is to heavy for the motor which has lead to the motor failing. Has anyone else had this?

The Last one, Have any of you seen where it seems as though the floor is getting soft at what looks like the seams? We have soft parts of the floor that are about 4 feet apart and run width wise dependent on the higher traffic walking areas. With our previous camper leak issues I immediately went to thinking we have a leak some where but the soft part is only about a 2-3 inch wide area along what to me seems like a seam in the floor.

Other than these couple of things we have enjoyed this camper very much. We have tossed around the idea of semi remodeling the rear by the bed to instead of having the big U shaped couch to having a what i call Normal dinnet table and find a futon type couch like our old floor plan had.

Looking forward to hear from you and your experiences.

The Marquettes
Welcome to the X254 club. Thanks for sharing your experience. We just came back from a 3 week camping trip of which our new to us 2016 X254 performed flawlessly. I am troubled by some of your issues concerning the slide wall and the soft floor. I haven’t noticed any soft floor spots but haven’t really been looking until now. I do however tow with slide supports under the rails, and also use slide supports when the slide is out. Mostly as a preventative measure because the slide is so large. I would love to hear if anyone has any slide maintenance tips or suggestions. My family really likes this unique floorplan and I want to make sure it stays in decent shape. Thanks
DROBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #24

Here's a modification/improvement that I just did yesterday that gave me bonus points with my wife. Now we can clean up the 'kids' room.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1565208021542.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	52267Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1565208026859.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	52268

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 08-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Here's a modification/improvement that I just did yesterday that gave me bonus points with my wife. Now we can clean up the 'kids' room.Attachment 52267Attachment 52268
I just did the exact same mod earlier this year too! Only difference is I left the center support in place, thinking in was necessary. But looking at yours, it seems way more efficient. Well done sir!
DROBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROBC View Post
I just did the exact same mod earlier this year too! Only difference is I left the center support in place, thinking in was necessary. But looking at yours, it seems way more efficient. Well done sir!
I removed the centerpiece (four screws hold it in), ran the ends on a belt sander to slightly shorten the length and attached it to the left door with screws. That allowed the right door to still click shut like it did before the mod. I added a latching hasp (I'm not sure what else to call it) to the top and bottom of the centerpiece to hold the doors shut during travels. I can get a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean if you like.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #27

Here's the rig.

Try to see past the mess ��

https://youtu.be/gYcmWrigVSo

https://youtu.be/gYcmWrigVSo
Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #28

I am inspired by your video kraigf to make one of my own. I have my camper in the driveway at the moment. I showed my wife your video and she now has other storage option ideas. She even suggested she liked the idea of removing the king bed cabinets like you did. Currently, we keep our clothes in those cabinets. I think she has a shelf idea from IKEA in mind to put between the fridge and dinette as a replacement to the cabinet removal. I have to move the camper tomorrow so the video will be posted soon.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
I am inspired by your video kraigf to make one of my own. I have my camper in the driveway at the moment. I showed my wife your video and she now has other storage option ideas. She even suggested she liked the idea of removing the king bed cabinets like you did. Currently, we keep our clothes in those cabinets. I think she has a shelf idea from IKEA in mind to put between the fridge and dinette as a replacement to the cabinet removal. I have to move the camper tomorrow so the video will be posted soon.

Word to the wise, the cabinet is surprising hard to get out of the camper IF you want to be able to reinstall it at some point. Unfortunately I can't remember the particulars, but because it's the exact length of the bay, it's hard to move around. I did get it out, but only for resale purposes. And at this point, I think I would sell it without the cabinet.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #30

Another win for the X254

Only staying one night, and really didn't want to unhook. Just enough room to get out of the road. Pretty sure we're the only ones that have stayed in this spot without unhooking... that still got to sleep in a king size bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	x254.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	52669
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #31

I like seeing pics of "our" camper in action. Here's a few recent pics from a 17 day, 900 mile jaunt we just finished. It began in SW Michigan and took us to the U.P. I also got a 10 minute video to post with my mods but have to figure out how to post it. I uploaded it to YouTube but then I couldn't find it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Yogi%20Bear%20-%20Grayling%2C%20MI.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	52677Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp%20Peta-Sega%2C%20Petoskey%2C%20MI.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	52678Click image for larger version

Name:	Manistique%20(MI)%20%20Lakeshore%20Campground.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	52679

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 07-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #32

x254 slide motor

Hi all, we have a 2016 x254. Our slide out has been getting slower and slower. We are to the point where I hold the switch and my husband manually pushes or pulls it to set up of pack up. We tried ordering the motor replacement (found one through Amazon, cheaper than the local RV place), but a new motor didn't do the trick. Slide out still struggles. Anyone else have a fix? What else should we check? We purposefully chose a camper with few slideouts, and knew this would eventually have to be replaced, but not sure why a new motor won't fix it.
memorris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorris01 View Post
Hi all, we have a 2016 x254. Our slide out has been getting slower and slower. We are to the point where I hold the switch and my husband manually pushes or pulls it to set up of pack up. We tried ordering the motor replacement (found one through Amazon, cheaper than the local RV place), but a new motor didn't do the trick. Slide out still struggles. Anyone else have a fix? What else should we check? We purposefully chose a camper with few slideouts, and knew this would eventually have to be replaced, but not sure why a new motor won't fix it.
I don't have an answer for you, but I did want you to know that I saw your message. If you can make it through the season, maybe take it in to be repaired later?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #34

Yes. We have one more trip lined up this month and then we can put it in for repair. Was just hoping maybe someone knew of a fix. We don't think it's the motor, since a new motor didn't solve it. Maybe something to do with the limit switch on the slide? No idea where that's located though.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #35

I've had mine for two years, going through our third summer with it (we bought it new after it sat at the dealer for two years). Mine does not seem to be as peppy in it's movement as well but still runs it in and out.

Do you have excess weight on the bed? Did you ever bump into the slide or the slide bump into something while extended, possibly bending a rail? Does it seem ok under shore power verses battery power?

I just installed four 100 watt solar panels on mine last month so I'll see if it keeps the battery healthy enough to move that slide back and forth in about two weeks. Keep us informed on your findings. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_123444.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	60690Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_123629.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	60691

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #36

Update slide motor

Just wanted to share an update. We greased the slide rails really well, and after a few runs in and out the motor seems to be handling it much better.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Just wanted to share an update. We greased the slide rails really well, and after a few runs in and out the motor seems to be handling it much better.
That's good to know. Our first outing won't be until late June. I may just grease the rails out of principal. We've got a five week trip planned Aug/Sept taking us out west (Michigan to Idaho) so a little maintenance wouldn't hurt. So far, we have just over 11,000 miles on our camper since new. It's getting it's first full tire replacement (including spare) before the big trip. The original tires have a date code of Nov 2015 so it's time.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for the update memorris01
Old 07-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #39

Time to sell I'm afraid.

Well, we've come to the end of this road everyone. My kids don't really want to camp anymore.

Any one know what these are selling for these days?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigf View Post
Well, we've come to the end of this road everyone. My kids don't really want to camp anymore.

Any one know what these are selling for these days?
We're thinking of selling as well after our big trip out west in a few weeks. We moved back to Northern Michigan on a lake so we'll be camping a lot less.

I couldn't find a lot of information. I'm starting at $20,000. I'll have new tires (including spare) on in the next day or two, solar panels (four 100w panels), a new AGM battery last year and several minor improvements too (stove burner cover for more counter space, thermostat upgrade, PVC bunk ladders, better shower head, etc.).

We're also going to include all the accessories we purchased over the years such as the 22 gallon portable waste tank, extension cords, tire chocks, X-chocks, Andersen Levelers, sewage lines, fresh water lines, etc. It will be a package that will allow someone to throw on a hitch (which were also incliding) and head down the road.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254

Tags
x254