Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #21

Coming from a pop up to the "Big" leagues I would have say we finished our first year pretty successful ! Other than my quality control OCD kicking in we had very few minor issues. A warped cabinet door, shower doors leaking, every plumbing fitting leaked antifreeze during the winter, screws protruding through the slide and cracked table feet didnt stop us from doing what we bought it for.
I fixed some of the things ( even though the dealer claimed they did ) and the dealer make good on the other issues. All in all I've towed it from south "joisey" to Maine and created some great family memories !! Cant wait for Memorial Day 2016 to kick off the season... ( unless the weather is that nice and we get a head start )
:
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #22

Add me also to the list of a real happy owner of a 5year old Jayco (2nd owner).i couldn't ask for a better performing TT, I really have nothing to do once I'm parked at my site. Hats off to Jayco for the build quality of this unit.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #23

Haven't moved into a house or vehicle of any kind that didn't need "fixed" to suit me. The Eagle has been great with only cosmetic issues. It does what it was purchased for, provides a comfortable place to stay away from home where I can still sleep in MY own bed.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #24

We sold our X23B after 2 years and 4000 miles later. Only one major issue as our fridge went out and was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, the trailer served us well. We have a 28BHBE on order and should deliver sometime next month...in the meantime we are glamping hiatus.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
Coming from a pop up to the "Big" leagues I would have say we finished our first year pretty successful ! Other than my quality control OCD kicking in we had very few minor issues. A warped cabinet door, shower doors leaking, every plumbing fitting leaked antifreeze during the winter, screws protruding through the slide and cracked table feet didnt stop us from doing what we bought it for.
I fixed some of the things ( even though the dealer claimed they did ) and the dealer make good on the other issues. All in all I've towed it from south "joisey" to Maine and created some great family memories !! Cant wait for Memorial Day 2016 to kick off the season... ( unless the weather is that nice and we get a head start )
:
That is what this is all about!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #26

Great to read all the positive reply's. I think I can conclude that if we didn't have any major issues early on she'll be a pretty good camper. Really glad to see the happy Eagle owners because they are in play when we upgrade from the 24FBS and full time as much as possible (I guess technically that's not full timing?) and spend looong periods of time on the road. I know now that when we trade we will have tons of fond memories, have a bunch now! I know I've met a lot of people in my life that act like once they've bought something new like a car or house, that they should stay like new forever and never have things wear out or break down, even if they put no effort into their investments to keep the in the best condition possible.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #27

Two camping years with my trailer. Radio quit working - dealer took care of quickly under warranty.Have had minor items that I took care of myself.

I have purchased a new house, new vehicles, a new boat, and a new travel trailer. Had some minor fixes that I did myself on all of them. Perfection is pretty elusive - I don't expect it.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #28

Our X23B served us almost 2 years during which we made 20 trips covering about 8200 miles. Apart from the stereo which was defective from the start (and replaced under warranty) I would say it was completely trouble-free except for cosmetic things that were easily repaired.
We sold it to move up is size (I'm sure you've heard of the "two foot-itis" common to many trailer folk).
Our 5th has been relatively trouble-free as well after almost 2 years with 16 outings covering 9100 miles. We have had our tire problems (thank you Tow Max) but I don't consider that a "trailer issue". We had the front cap repainted under warranty at the beginning of the year and it's in the shop as we speak for our first real issue. We developed a nasty leak in the back window which went unnoticed and the water has damaged some of the woodwork. The current report is that Jayco will re-bed the leaky window and repair the interior damage under warranty. There are a few other things that have been damaged or broken that are "cockpit error" so Jayco gets no blame for those.
The things I've asked to be fixed under warranty have been (or are being) and at the end of the day I'm a very happy camper and can't envision ever buying non-Jayco.

P.S.-The thin foam that seals the windows is not very effective. After we get the 5th back I plan to remove and re-bed all of the remaining windows (there are lots) using butyl tape.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #29

Our trailer was small, but adequate. She just turned 50. We had her for 27 years. One nice Summer evening while camping I said to the wife - since we're retiring next year, why don't we buy a new trailer - you know, one that has hot water and a shower, a microwave, air conditioning, and all the neat stuff we really don't need, but would be nice. She said go for it.

We did a lot of research on floor plans, looking at web sites. We decided that a Jayco was what we wanted and found that the right model was in inventory at a dealer only 20 miles away.

The deal went awesome. They delivered it and set it up on our permanent site no charge. The PDI ws awesome - the sales and service were awesome. My wife kept saying "I love it and I'm so happy" the whole first week we camped out. When we got home I found this site and joined.

I guess my research was inadequate. Now I learned that trailer quality is iffy and there are problems everywhere and to make matters worse - my dealer was kicked out of the BBB and they have serious PR issues everywhere (they are a national dealer).

We had a sticky bathroom door, but it has since worked itself loose after being used. We had a ......well, I can't think of another problem. I guess I'm a satisfied customer and now you heard from me.....
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #30

Another happy 1 year owner here. The few issues we've had with it were the type that we could fix ourselves. The dealer is 3+ hours away, so taking it in for minor things just isn't going to happen; although, they do have roadside assistance and a service truck that will come out to do the repairs where ever you are.

The one major problem we did have was when the slide was all the way in, the dinette table was rubbing against the side of the kitchen cabinet, damaging both the edge trim on the table and the side of the cabinet. We called the dealer and they sent their service truck around to evaluate, and the service guy said he would have to order a new table top. He did and came back to install it in a slightly different position so it doesn't hit the cabinet when the slide is retracted, and repaired the cosmetic damage to the cabinet. My guess was that they might have used the wrong template when attaching the table mounts during manufacturing, but since it was solved to our satisfaction by the dealer, it's not a problem.

We also had the common problem of blowing the tongue jack fuses whenever it was extended or retracted to its limits, but naturally as soon as I stocked up on replacement fuses, the problem went away. Figures.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Another happy 1 year owner here. The few issues we've had with it were the type that we could fix ourselves. The dealer is 3+ hours away, so taking it in for minor things just isn't going to happen; although, they do have roadside assistance and a service truck that will come out to do the repairs where ever you are.

The one major problem we did have was when the slide was all the way in, the dinette table was rubbing against the side of the kitchen cabinet, damaging both the edge trim on the table and the side of the cabinet. We called the dealer and they sent their service truck around to evaluate, and the service guy said he would have to order a new table top. He did and came back to install it in a slightly different position so it doesn't hit the cabinet when the slide is retracted, and repaired the cosmetic damage to the cabinet. My guess was that they might have used the wrong template when attaching the table mounts during manufacturing, but since it was solved to our satisfaction by the dealer, it's not a problem.

We also had the common problem of blowing the tongue jack fuses whenever it was extended or retracted to its limits, but naturally as soon as I stocked up on replacement fuses, the problem went away. Figures.
Had the same table issue, maybe they came off the assembly line the same day! We caught it very early so now I just stow the table top when were traveling and that was that.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Had the same table issue, maybe they came off the assembly line the same day! We caught it very early so now I just stow the table top when were traveling and that was that.
That's what the dealer suggested we do, but instead I had some of those felt stick-on circles that you put on the bottoms of chair legs that I stuck on the cabinet side where the table was hitting it. That cushioned it enough until the new table top was installed. Draping a dish towel over the edge of the table would work too.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #33

One year Done

6 years done!!! Hate to rain on anyone's parade but, I'm basically keeping mine to see what will go wrong next. Have had at least 5 major problems and numerous minors ones. Jacyo stood behind a major out of warranty front end replacement Jun/13 due to excessive water damage. Kicker was I had to deliver and pick it up in IN. $1500. travel cost. Not complaining as it would have cost me much more to pay out of pocket and the repair would not have been as professional and at that time Jayco replaced my rear slide motor
free. My wife and I have both passed the 3/4 Century mark and will probably only be RV traveling for 5 or so more years. Hopefully our unit will carry us that far. Don't see any reason to trade it in for one that will be an unknown.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
That's what the dealer suggested we do, but instead I had some of those felt stick-on circles that you put on the bottoms of chair legs that I stuck on the cabinet side where the table was hitting it. That cushioned it enough until the new table top was installed. Draping a dish towel over the edge of the table would work too.
That would be less work, I'll give it a try. On a personal note, having grown up so far north (in the states) that the closest city to us was Montreal I just want to say thanks a lot for taking our Hockey team, between the
Thrashers and the Flames it's like Atlanta is a place where future Canadian teams go to start LOL. I do miss theNHL, at least we have a minor league team in metro ATL!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
That would be less work, I'll give it a try. On a personal note, having grown up so far north (in the states) that the closest city to us was Montreal I just want to say thanks a lot for taking our Hockey team, between the
Thrashers and the Flames it's like Atlanta is a place where future Canadian teams go to start LOL. I do miss theNHL, at least we have a minor league team in metro ATL!
Yeah, I didn't want to assemble and disassemble stuff every time we went camping; that's why we got away from a hybrid.

Sorry about the hockey thing.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #36

1st post here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. My wife and I have a ton of experience in boating, which I consider to be similar to an RV on water-at least the housing part of it. We are considering an RV to see the country now that the nest is empty and have begun doing our research into getting some sort of RV/travel trailer. I have a friend who swears by the Jayco line, and quite honestly, I am attracted to the layout and interiors of several of the models I have looked at. We are looking at models a few years old to get in at a decent price knowing that the 1st one usually shows us what we like and don't like and we move up from there (again, boating experience over the years). I know from boating for decades that their is always something to tinker with on a boat, which is fine because I am someone who likes to tinker and am very handy. So, what I think I am seeing on this thread, if you subtract a couple of posts with what seem to be unusual big issues, and some with no issues, everyone seems to fall into the category of loving their Jayco trailer, they just need attention here and there, which I am fine with. Am I reading this correctly?
Sdk8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
1st post here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. My wife and I have a ton of experience in boating, which I consider to be similar to an RV on water-at least the housing part of it. We are considering an RV to see the country now that the nest is empty and have begun doing our research into getting some sort of RV/travel trailer. I have a friend who swears by the Jayco line, and quite honestly, I am attracted to the layout and interiors of several of the models I have looked at. We are looking at models a few years old to get in at a decent price knowing that the 1st one usually shows us what we like and don't like and we move up from there (again, boating experience over the years). I know from boating for decades that their is always something to tinker with on a boat, which is fine because I am someone who likes to tinker and am very handy. So, what I think I am seeing on this thread, if you subtract a couple of posts with what seem to be unusual big issues, and some with no issues, everyone seems to fall into the category of loving their Jayco trailer, they just need attention here and there, which I am fine with. Am I reading this correctly?
Speaking for myself we are very happy. One of the things we researched were on line reviews of all the brands we considered. Jayco seemed have way fewer people regretting their choice. Like many have said perfection is not there but a long history of a majority of satisfied owners speaks loudly. Good luck with your hunting and come back here often. Let us know what you decide.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
Yeah, boats and RVs are quite similar. I'm also a handy tinkerer and have owned a boat for almost 50 years and a camper for almost 30.

In the case of boats I feel that maintenance, or lack thereof, is the key. I love to tinker, but most of my efforts are confined to normal maintenance and constant polishing. Things like tune-ups, oil and grease. I'm a trailer boater, so my boats don't see the elements like those that are slipped all year long. One of my boats is 54 years old, and our family "daily driver" is 32 years old (bought new). A garage kept boat, with normal engine maintenance, will last almost forever.

RVs, on the other hand, see much more severe service. They keep making them lighter and lighter and that's fine for towing ability. But it doesn't do much for structural integrity. Every RV we ever owned was permanently set up on our own camping property, so they never saw the stresses of bouncing down the highway. I have maintained all systems properly and most of all kept a close eye on the roof. I have never had a roof leak. We still have a 1964 TT on our son's site, and it is still quite servicable.

I have been a supplier to the manufactured housing industry for over 40 years. "Trailer houses" are built under the same conditions and speed as an RV. Normally, they only have to travel on the highway once. In actuality most mobile homes use the cheapest components available - things like furnaces and windows are the bottom of the barrel. In contrast, RVs seem to use top of the line components, like fridges, doors, canopies, etc.

The only RV that I was really impressed with was an Airstream. Their fit and finish seems very good. But I hear complaints about them as well. And at 4x the price they really aren't cost effective.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Hopefully our unit will carry us that far. Don't see any reason to trade it in for one that will be an unknown.
That's just what my attitude is. We'll camp for a few more years, but it will take a BIG problem before we risk a new one.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote