Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
mothernaturesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cumming GA.
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Another happy 1 year owner here. The few issues we've had with it were the type that we could fix ourselves. The dealer is 3+ hours away, so taking it in for minor things just isn't going to happen; although, they do have roadside assistance and a service truck that will come out to do the repairs where ever you are.

The one major problem we did have was when the slide was all the way in, the dinette table was rubbing against the side of the kitchen cabinet, damaging both the edge trim on the table and the side of the cabinet. We called the dealer and they sent their service truck around to evaluate, and the service guy said he would have to order a new table top. He did and came back to install it in a slightly different position so it doesn't hit the cabinet when the slide is retracted, and repaired the cosmetic damage to the cabinet. My guess was that they might have used the wrong template when attaching the table mounts during manufacturing, but since it was solved to our satisfaction by the dealer, it's not a problem.

We also had the common problem of blowing the tongue jack fuses whenever it was extended or retracted to its limits, but naturally as soon as I stocked up on replacement fuses, the problem went away. Figures.
Had the same table issue, maybe they came off the assembly line the same day! We caught it very early so now I just stow the table top when were traveling and that was that.
__________________

__________________
Tom & Kat 38 Years strong!
2001 Tundra SR5 I Force V-8
2015 Jay Flight 24FBS
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
North of 49°'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Had the same table issue, maybe they came off the assembly line the same day! We caught it very early so now I just stow the table top when were traveling and that was that.
That's what the dealer suggested we do, but instead I had some of those felt stick-on circles that you put on the bottoms of chair legs that I stuck on the cabinet side where the table was hitting it. That cushioned it enough until the new table top was installed. Draping a dish towel over the edge of the table would work too.
__________________

__________________
Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 224
One year Done

6 years done!!! Hate to rain on anyone's parade but, I'm basically keeping mine to see what will go wrong next. Have had at least 5 major problems and numerous minors ones. Jacyo stood behind a major out of warranty front end replacement Jun/13 due to excessive water damage. Kicker was I had to deliver and pick it up in IN. $1500. travel cost. Not complaining as it would have cost me much more to pay out of pocket and the repair would not have been as professional and at that time Jayco replaced my rear slide motor
free. My wife and I have both passed the 3/4 Century mark and will probably only be RV traveling for 5 or so more years. Hopefully our unit will carry us that far. Don't see any reason to trade it in for one that will be an unknown.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
mothernaturesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cumming GA.
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
That's what the dealer suggested we do, but instead I had some of those felt stick-on circles that you put on the bottoms of chair legs that I stuck on the cabinet side where the table was hitting it. That cushioned it enough until the new table top was installed. Draping a dish towel over the edge of the table would work too.
That would be less work, I'll give it a try. On a personal note, having grown up so far north (in the states) that the closest city to us was Montreal I just want to say thanks a lot for taking our Hockey team, between the
Thrashers and the Flames it's like Atlanta is a place where future Canadian teams go to start LOL. I do miss theNHL, at least we have a minor league team in metro ATL!
__________________
Tom & Kat 38 Years strong!
2001 Tundra SR5 I Force V-8
2015 Jay Flight 24FBS
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
North of 49°'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
That would be less work, I'll give it a try. On a personal note, having grown up so far north (in the states) that the closest city to us was Montreal I just want to say thanks a lot for taking our Hockey team, between the
Thrashers and the Flames it's like Atlanta is a place where future Canadian teams go to start LOL. I do miss theNHL, at least we have a minor league team in metro ATL!
Yeah, I didn't want to assemble and disassemble stuff every time we went camping; that's why we got away from a hybrid.

Sorry about the hockey thing.
__________________
Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 3
1st post here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. My wife and I have a ton of experience in boating, which I consider to be similar to an RV on water-at least the housing part of it. We are considering an RV to see the country now that the nest is empty and have begun doing our research into getting some sort of RV/travel trailer. I have a friend who swears by the Jayco line, and quite honestly, I am attracted to the layout and interiors of several of the models I have looked at. We are looking at models a few years old to get in at a decent price knowing that the 1st one usually shows us what we like and don't like and we move up from there (again, boating experience over the years). I know from boating for decades that their is always something to tinker with on a boat, which is fine because I am someone who likes to tinker and am very handy. So, what I think I am seeing on this thread, if you subtract a couple of posts with what seem to be unusual big issues, and some with no issues, everyone seems to fall into the category of loving their Jayco trailer, they just need attention here and there, which I am fine with. Am I reading this correctly?
Sdk8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
mothernaturesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cumming GA.
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
1st post here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. My wife and I have a ton of experience in boating, which I consider to be similar to an RV on water-at least the housing part of it. We are considering an RV to see the country now that the nest is empty and have begun doing our research into getting some sort of RV/travel trailer. I have a friend who swears by the Jayco line, and quite honestly, I am attracted to the layout and interiors of several of the models I have looked at. We are looking at models a few years old to get in at a decent price knowing that the 1st one usually shows us what we like and don't like and we move up from there (again, boating experience over the years). I know from boating for decades that their is always something to tinker with on a boat, which is fine because I am someone who likes to tinker and am very handy. So, what I think I am seeing on this thread, if you subtract a couple of posts with what seem to be unusual big issues, and some with no issues, everyone seems to fall into the category of loving their Jayco trailer, they just need attention here and there, which I am fine with. Am I reading this correctly?
Speaking for myself we are very happy. One of the things we researched were on line reviews of all the brands we considered. Jayco seemed have way fewer people regretting their choice. Like many have said perfection is not there but a long history of a majority of satisfied owners speaks loudly. Good luck with your hunting and come back here often. Let us know what you decide.
__________________
Tom & Kat 38 Years strong!
2001 Tundra SR5 I Force V-8
2015 Jay Flight 24FBS
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
gypsmjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Wheatfield
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
1st post here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. My wife and I have a ton of experience in boating, which I consider to be similar to an RV on water-at least the housing part of it. We are considering an RV to see the country now that the nest is empty and have begun doing our research into getting some sort of RV/travel trailer. I have a friend who swears by the Jayco line, and quite honestly, I am attracted to the layout and interiors of several of the models I have looked at. We are looking at models a few years old to get in at a decent price knowing that the 1st one usually shows us what we like and don't like and we move up from there (again, boating experience over the years). I know from boating for decades that their is always something to tinker with on a boat, which is fine because I am someone who likes to tinker and am very handy. So, what I think I am seeing on this thread, if you subtract a couple of posts with what seem to be unusual big issues, and some with no issues, everyone seems to fall into the category of loving their Jayco trailer, they just need attention here and there, which I am fine with. Am I reading this correctly?
Yeah, boats and RVs are quite similar. I'm also a handy tinkerer and have owned a boat for almost 50 years and a camper for almost 30.

In the case of boats I feel that maintenance, or lack thereof, is the key. I love to tinker, but most of my efforts are confined to normal maintenance and constant polishing. Things like tune-ups, oil and grease. I'm a trailer boater, so my boats don't see the elements like those that are slipped all year long. One of my boats is 54 years old, and our family "daily driver" is 32 years old (bought new). A garage kept boat, with normal engine maintenance, will last almost forever.

RVs, on the other hand, see much more severe service. They keep making them lighter and lighter and that's fine for towing ability. But it doesn't do much for structural integrity. Every RV we ever owned was permanently set up on our own camping property, so they never saw the stresses of bouncing down the highway. I have maintained all systems properly and most of all kept a close eye on the roof. I have never had a roof leak. We still have a 1964 TT on our son's site, and it is still quite servicable.

I have been a supplier to the manufactured housing industry for over 40 years. "Trailer houses" are built under the same conditions and speed as an RV. Normally, they only have to travel on the highway once. In actuality most mobile homes use the cheapest components available - things like furnaces and windows are the bottom of the barrel. In contrast, RVs seem to use top of the line components, like fridges, doors, canopies, etc.

The only RV that I was really impressed with was an Airstream. Their fit and finish seems very good. But I hear complaints about them as well. And at 4x the price they really aren't cost effective.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
cekkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Hopefully our unit will carry us that far. Don't see any reason to trade it in for one that will be an unknown.
That's just what my attitude is. We'll camp for a few more years, but it will take a BIG problem before we risk a new one.
__________________

__________________
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.