Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Smile Year one done, lucky or typical for Jayco

We purchased out 24FBS in mid May and wrapped up the first camping year Sunday January 3rd. We made 9 trips for a total of 38 nights give or take. We have had zero major issues, only minor fix it yourself things like antenna crank falling off, strip of trim between slide out dinette and wall coming loose, things like that. I've read lots of posts with people having major issues, which are hopefully a low percentage of total owners.
I sure hope our experience is more typical of Jayco quality because it could make me a loyal customer for life. Love to hear your thoughts.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Took my 23rb 3 places before I decided it wasn't big enough. Probably 900 miles total. Now for sale.
Antenna crank fell off, fixed it.
Bathroom drain leaked, fixed it.
Bathroom sink faucet leaked, fixed it.
Kitchen faucet leaked, fixed it.
Toilet leaking around floor, haven't fixed it because I'm not using it and not sure why it's leaking. Possible warranty claim.
Stabilizer jack broke, waiting on dealer to contact me about a new one.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
We purchased out 24FBS in mid May and wrapped up the first camping year Sunday January 3rd. We made 9 trips for a total of 38 nights give or take. We have had zero major issues, only minor fix it yourself things like antenna crank falling off, strip of trim between slide out dinette and wall coming loose, things like that. I've read lots of posts with people having major issues, which are hopefully a low percentage of total owners.
I sure hope our experience is more typical of Jayco quality because it could make me a loyal customer for life. Love to hear your thoughts.
I've had pretty much the same pleasant experience as you (after 3 years). I think most satisfied customers are rarely heard from. So, count yourself in the majority

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

It would be fair to say I've had better luck than that FishAr.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Team

2-6 year report, very satisfied:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...port-4767.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Our present rig has been one of the better ones. It has had some issues, but all were fixed in my own shop. I don't consider any of them major, but to some it would've been back at the dealer. Overall I found me a brand I like since Mobile Scout is no longer a contender, at least like they were back when.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

I just finished up my second year in October. Only one problem so far, and it was handled promptly and completely by the dealer and covered under warranty.

We didn't even have the fit/finish/trim issues many have experienced. We DID have a piece of trim come off, but that was because DW didn't move the water jug before running the slide out and a piece of trim popped off. Got the finishing nails to fix that last week. And put a sticker on the switch to remind her to move it before she runs the slide out; she wouldn't let me put in an active deterrent (like one of those red switch covers you see in planes and such).

I'm a VERY happy user, especially considering the stories I've read from owners of other manufacturers' trailers, and even some pretty horrifying Jayco stories. Sometimes I think I might be lucky, but then I do keep a VERY close eye on my trailer, and I don't let issues slide, and I keep up with maintenance. I learn how to fix them, (assuming I don't already know) and fix them immediately.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

I think the majority of people are satisfied enough with their units. We used our current entry level fifth wheel pretty hard for 9 years. It had it's share of issues, but none that were serious, left us stranded, or ruined any trips. We just took the issues in stride and got them taken care of, most of them I fixed. I'll be glad that it is gone and we will have a new rig, but I also think of all the places we have been and things we have seen because we purchased that camper.

There are people who have very high expectations (near perfection) and will allow the list of typical problems (fit and finish stuff) to ruin their experience with their rig. Also for people that are not able to fix any issues or will not fix any issues will get bitter with the manufacturer. These experiences usually make their rounds on the forums.

There are going to be some units that are just plain lemons, and that is going to suck. Hopefully with a bit of education and a good inspection, one can find it and walk away before they buy. I think the percentage of these is fairly low overall, but if you have one, you are going to want to scream it everywhere out of frustration.

It sucks that we (all of us) accept the problems, since the manufacturers will never see the need to reach higher, and those that do, get bought by the big dogs. We either buy a rig and just fix stuff instead of getting worked up over it so we can enjoy our trips, or we fight to try to get things changed and end up ticked off and hating the rig. Not a very good choice for us! Maybe someday things will change....
Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
There are people who have very high expectations (near perfection) and will allow the list of typical problems (fit and finish stuff) to ruin their experience with their rig. Also for people that are not able to fix any issues or will not fix any issues will get bitter with the manufacturer. These experiences usually make their rounds on the forums.

There are going to be some units that are just plain lemons, and that is going to suck. Hopefully with a bit of education and a good inspection, one can find it and walk away before they buy. I think the percentage of these is fairly low overall, but if you have one, you are going to want to scream it everywhere out of frustration.
I agree 100% and if a manufacturer could build a PERFECT unit most of us "THE END USER" could not afford to purchase one.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I just finished up my second year in October. Only one problem so far, and it was handled promptly and completely by the dealer and covered under warranty.

We didn't even have the fit/finish/trim issues many have experienced. We DID have a piece of trim come off, but that was because DW didn't move the water jug before running the slide out and a piece of trim popped off. Got the finishing nails to fix that last week. And put a sticker on the switch to remind her to move it before she runs the slide out; she wouldn't let me put in an active deterrent (like one of those red switch covers you see in planes and such).

I'm a VERY happy user, especially considering the stories I've read from owners of other manufacturers' trailers, and even some pretty horrifying Jayco stories. Sometimes I think I might be lucky, but then I do keep a VERY close eye on my trailer, and I don't let issues slide, and I keep up with maintenance. I learn how to fix them, (assuming I don't already know) and fix them immediately.
LOL- to be honest a case of coke got ours, so I shouldn't have even mentioned that, it kind of slipped my mind, but definitely is on the check list now!!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I agree 100% and if a manufacturer could build a PERFECT unit most of us "THE END USER" could not afford to purchase one.
Great point, haven't moved into a perfect apartment or home in my lifetime either!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
LOL- to be honest a case of coke got ours, so I shouldn't have even mentioned that, it kind of slipped my mind, but definitely is on the check list now!!
Sad part is she did it TWICE! Luckily I hadn't fixed the trim from the FIRST time. When we got home after the second time I went looking for solutions. I thought about putting a warning on a string and attaching it to one of the screws on the switch. I thought about getting a piece of flexible plastic and fixing it over the switch so you would have to physically move it to operate the switch. Like I said before, I even thought about putting one of those switches with a cover on it in place of the original rocker switch. In the end a blue smiley face sticker won out.

And honestly, the blue smiley has already saved ME from making the same mistake once! DW doesn't know that though! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #13

I think you are among the majority. Very few people talk about the good, they only complain about the bad.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think you are among the majority. Very few people talk about the good, they only complain about the bad.
X2

Our experience with the White Hawk was similar to yours. So far so good with the Eagle, but it's probably too early to tell as, other than setting her up in the driveway, we haven't used her yet. Can't wait for spring!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #15

We have had no major issues with our 24FSB purchased in August. Only 3 outings 10 nights. No major issues. Slide window was missing the rivet on the arm, small bolt fixed that. The Velcro in the dinette seat doesn't match the Velcro on the back and bottom, also easy fix.otherwise, we love it.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #16

You can count me among those who are extremely happy with their Jayco. I bought my Eagle TT 2 years ago, and have been full timing in it for 1-1/2 years. In all that time, I've had a few things come loose, fall off, or break: FW overflow tubes siphoned 1/3 of the water from my tanks, so I added some barbed hose fittings & shut-off valves; the tie-down straps kept coming loose from the skirting, so I replaced the self-tapping screws with stainless steel bolts & lock nuts; the bathroom sink drain came loose, so I re-tightened it; the shower head broke, so I replaced it; the center pin came out of the RCA plug on my TV Video IN cord, so I picked up a non-solder plug at Radio Shack and replaced it; my CO/Propane detector kept going off, one of the elect. ignition wires on my cook top had a break in it, and the cords on 2 of my window shades broke - dealer took care of these three items under warranty. THAT'S IT! No leaks; no slide problems; no electrical problems; no appliance problems; not even any paint fading on my front cap!
Of course, I've had my bone-head moments like everybody else, and frankly, they've cost me more money than any manufacturer's problems. But that's the price of admission to this wonderful life-style. (And, hopefully, I've learned something along the way.)

As a full timer, I'd say my trailer gets 3-10 times the use of the average "recreational" RV. So after the equivalent of 5 - 10 years of normal RV use, I'm sold on Jayco!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #17

Just 3 months short of five years and I can only recall 3 minor issues and three slightly larger issues. Sadly, the three larger ones were of my own doing.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

We are 1.5 yrs into our TT and other than some fit & finish issues at the beginning, nothing significant to report. The typical FW siphon was cured. Mouse intrusion was also minor. Dealer gave me a pair of low point drains as they would leak periodically. I replaced the shower head with one that has a shutoff valve. i found a sloppy connection on the slide motor and had to add some insulation/stuffy around the fresh water tanks when i had the underbelly down to seal up mouse entry. Overall, minor issues and very happy with out TT.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

We had a very good first season and I would have to say that our smaller, entry-level unit appears to have done fairly well. No major problems just a few minor issues - a small leak in a line for the hot water tank, a burned out LED fixture, a sticky valve/regulator for the fridge propane and some water in the enclosed underbelly when it rained. All taken care of promptly and under warranty with no hassle. None caused us any issue on the road.

Other minor items that I've just fixed myself included replacing the hinges at the head of the bed and replacing the stripped wood screws on the plumbing access panel with blind nuts. I've also added a fridge vent fan, gas struts for the underbed storage, better support for the propane tank and a MaxxAir vent cover. Being new to trailer camping this forum has been an invaluable resource so thanks to all who've contributed to our success

We put almost 4000 miles on the trailer and have close to 6000 miles planned for the upcoming season. Overall we are quite happy with Jayco and how our unit is doing.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #20

Add me to the list of satisfied owners. Have had 2 Jayco's for a total of 4+ years. Each has had some very minor finish items that I fixed myself, the first had the Jensen DVD/CD replaced. But other than that it has been available and ready for all that we can throw at it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote