Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

Your experiences with Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw??

Hello,

Well after a summer and fall of using my 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175RD Baja edition we have decided we would like a larger unit with a slide for our style of camping.

We are thinking of going with a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw with the Rocky Mountain Edition, thermal, and roof ladder options.

Questions:

Is the 15k btu A/C option something we should also get?? It does get into the 80s and 90s in Oregon in the summer.

Any of the other options we should get excluding the Baja option which we don't need??

What has the tongue weight been once the unit is loaded for about a 4 day trip without water?? Is it front or rear heavy when you carry about 30 gallons fresh water??

Any trouble towing it with a 2016 F150 Super Crew 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow or equivalent 1/2 ton??

Please feel free to offer any comments about your experience with the 245rlsw

Thanks in advance.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Towing

I have a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RKS and tow it with a 2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 with the Max Trailering package and it does fine for me.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #3

Towing, nothing to worry about.
15AC, prob not necessary, then again better to have and not need it then need it and not have it. If you find a unit you like and it has a 13.5 on it you'll prob be just fine. If it gets sooo hot that a 13.5 can't put out cold air, then chances are that a 15 would struggle just the same.
Weight and packing, unless you're doing something radically different then the rest of us I wouldn't wouldn't even be concerned.
Good luck in your quest for that more spacious camper, then enjoy.
Keep us posted.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
Hello,

Well after a summer and fall of using my 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175RD Baja edition we have decided we would like a larger unit with a slide for our style of camping.

We are thinking of going with a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw with the Rocky Mountain Edition, thermal, and roof ladder options.

Questions:

Is the 15k btu A/C option something we should also get?? It does get into the 80s and 90s in Oregon in the summer.

Any of the other options we should get excluding the Baja option which we don't need??

What has the tongue weight been once the unit is loaded for about a 4 day trip without water?? Is it front or rear heavy when you carry about 30 gallons fresh water??

Any trouble towing it with a 2016 F150 Super Crew 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow or equivalent 1/2 ton??

Please feel free to offer any comments about your experience with the 245rlsw

Thanks in advance.

We love our 2017 245RLSW it’s just the base unit but here in Western New York we have had temperatures in the 80’s and 90’s and the 13.5 AC does just fine.

If you towing with a lot of water just make sure you have good sway control. I haven’t weighed the hitch yet but it’s on the list to do.

I tow with a 2013 F150 Extended cab with the 3.5 Ecco Boost and it has no issues pulling or stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
GaryMaryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on the purchase of a unit in dealers inventory.

It is a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245 RLSW with the following options:

-Customer Value Package (seems to be mandatory option on all the units)
-Rocky Mountain Edition (has extra fresh water tank, porcelain toilet, power jack, medicine cabinet, pull out faucet for double sink, 8 cubic foot refrigerator, 6 gallon gas/electric DSI water heater, and some other interior things)
-32 inch Television
-Aluminum Rims for the Goodyear Endurance tires
-Bedspread

The downside for me is that it has the chocolate maple cabinets and darker upholstery and doesn't list an enclosed underbelly since it doesn't have the thermal package.

The price out the door is $21,995 with supposedly a MSRP of $30,015.00 according to the build sheet.

If it doesn't have an enclosed underbelly should I pass??
Does the $21,995 dollars for a 2018 Rocky Mountain edition seem like a decent price for this time of the year??

I contacted RVDirect and I can order a 2018 non-Rocky Mountain Edition unit with options I want for about $18,000 but because they don't have any dealerships farther west than Iowa, they can't get the Rocky Mountain Editions. I would have to wait about 12 weeks for the build.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Posting to sub. My Wife and I are also starting to gain an interest in the 245RLSW as well. It's a nice rig but I'll have to upgrade to a larger TV from my Tacoma for this puppy. It may seem odd, but the MSRP and your pricing is not much different than what I'm seeing here in Canada. I wonder why.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Posting to sub. My Wife and I are also starting to gain an interest in the 245RLSW as well. It's a nice rig but I'll have to upgrade to a larger TV from my Tacoma for this puppy. It may seem odd, but the MSRP and your pricing is not much different than what I'm seeing here in Canada. I wonder why.
Not able to edit but came back to change the Dollar figures. A 2018 245RLSW is showing here locally as MSRP $32,346 On sale for $27,900 Canadian $$.

I love the unit, but will wait for the price to come down and still look for deals elsewhere using this one as a baseline.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote