Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

Your Input Requested...Do I or Don't I?

Hello all...throwing this out there knowing that there are a lot of great people with great insight on a lot of subjects so here goes...we bought our trailer new in 2011 and have had some great times in it but now, especially as we inch closer to the end of another rv season in the not so distant future, I find myself wondering if the trailer is worth keeping around? The added monthly payment and extra cost of the suitable TV that we require to tow the trailer all add up to me questioning more and more if the trailer is really a necessity and worth keeping around? I used to post on this forum quite often and really enjoyed the first couple of years of trailer use but now, meh. Is this just a phase that a lot of RV owners go through in justifying expenses on things like an RV or is there more to it?

Come on all you fellow Jayco owners...put on your psychiatrists outfits and share your thoughts with me. I have always welcomed your input.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

"meh" = sell......

That will be $250 please.....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

That's a good question and wish I had a good answer but here goes anyway. I ask my self that question when we were looking for a new trailer would we use it enough to justify the new one. For years with kids in school , sports , and what ever it seemed like we were only gitting out a couple times in the summer and to me that didnt add up to a new trailer. so when we took the plunge we told ourselves we were going to use it. but I already had a tow vehicle that would handle new trailer so ddint have that expense. so I dont know what the answer should be to me its just what is it worth to be out camping with family or friends and leave the job and world behind for a week or just weekends to me it is more than worth it those times can never be replaced we dont have little kids of our own any more but we have Grandkids and they love to as they call it trailer camp.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

We only use our 5er about once a month from April to October, and then it sits till next April. But we wouldn't dream of selling it, because it allows us to get away, even for a weekend, when life gets to be overwhelming. When camping, we spend a lot of our time reading, quilting, model train building, playing games (table and outdoors), and just leisurely walking around the CG with our dog. These times are irreplaceable, and necessary to maintain sanity. There is no other way to get these benefits in our lives, so selling is not an option for us.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Between the cost of a trailer and tow vehicle, maintenance and all the extras involved in owning an RV, I doubt it makes sense from strictly a financial standpoint.

My wife and I went through some of the same thought process last year when we were considering keeping our 23b, buying a new 26rls or getting out of RV ownership completely. We decided even though we "only" get out 3 weeks, we love the lifestyle for those three weeks. And, we've had our 26rls for about a year now.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Between the cost of a trailer and tow vehicle, maintenance and all the extras involved in owning an RV, I doubt it makes sense from strictly a financial standpoint.

My wife and I went through some of the same thought process last year when we were considering keeping our 23b, buying a new 26rls or getting out of RV ownership completely. We decided even though we "only" get out 3 weeks, we love the lifestyle for those three weeks. And, we've had our 26rls for about a year now.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

We make a point of using ours because of the cost of ownership and we find the more we use it the more we want to use it now. I would hate to see you sell it and regret that it was gone.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Kind of reminds me of our boating days. Just when I thought I had enough with them (usually after 6 years)I'd sell it and get the itch after a couple years and buy another one. The good thing was I never lost any money on the sale because I bought them almost new and kept them in good shape. The only time it bugged me was when I toke a loan out to get a bigger one. Thought we would use it more then the smaller ones but never did. You'll never know until you sell how much or if you'll miss it. We bought this (our first) trailer new so we know we wouldn't get our money back on selling but I made sure it wasn't going to be a loan either. Oh and I don't miss boating any more (been there done that long enough and glad I did)
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Camping is what we do. I have never taken a cruise or slept in a motel bed anywhere that gave me the opportunity to do what we love all the time. It is not a financial decision for us. Just the only way to get away.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

As long as we still desire to hike or cycle new trails in different parks camping will be part of our lifestyle. When your at the campsite its right there at your doorstep.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11

Seems to me if you are asking the question you already know the answer. There is no practical reason for me to spend $23k on a trailer. $8.5k on a truck that's mostly only used for towing and today we signed up to spend over $3k to get a seasonal site so we can go camping on the spur of the moment cause the trailer is already here. It doesn't make sense but I'm happier here then anywhere else.

If you lose interest it's time to move on. If you get bored , try sailing. I really miss my Catalina 27.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

You are asking people that care enough to come to a forum and meet with other people of similar interest. Not a great place to seek advice (half joking).

If it isn't your cup of tea... Do you know what is? Is there something else that you'd rather be doing? What kinds of other hobbies would you chase? Does the cost of the camper outweigh the fun you have? Would a smaller camper + tow vehicle combo make you happier? Popup campers can be towed by most non-4cyl cars and are easy to store and still allow you to camp.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvguy68 View Post
The added monthly payment and extra cost of the suitable TV that we require to tow the trailer all add up to me questioning more and more if the trailer is really a necessity and worth keeping around?
Unless you're living in the trailer full-time it's not a necessity it's a luxury. I would recommend not take out a loan to buy luxuries.

My wife and I saved to pay cash for our trailer. We compromised on the size, weight and expense of the trailer in order to avoid an extra payment, avoid having to buy a TV that was major overkill during 90% of the time it was not being used and avoid having to pay for storage (it's kept on our property).

We purchased the trailer facing the reality that since we both work and have a limited amount of vacation time the trailer was going to be parked a majority of the time. Having to make payments every month regardless of whether you're using the trailer is just a monthly reminder you're paying for something what sits idle most of the time.

I owned an airplane once (fyi, you paid more for your TV then I did for the plane) but ultimately sold it after a winter where I got to fly about two hours total but still had to pay the monthly expenses of storage, maintenance, insurance, etc. Given our family situation and the sacrifice to keep the plane was outweighed by other things that were higher priorities.

Everyone's situation is different and only you can decide if the reward of ownership (those times you actually get to use the trailer) are worth the sacrifices you have to make (monthly payments, maintenance, etc.) you have to make to keep it.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #14

Most of us don't really NEED a trailer and tow vehicle but we WANT one. If you enjoy using the trailer then keep it. If you would rather leave it in the driveway and do something else then sell it. Good luck with your decision.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #15

Lots of good advice and input from everyone so thank you. There's no doubt that once I'm at the campground and relaxing, there's no place I'd rather be. I think, looking back at it, that I would have been best to do what a lot of people here have done and that's save up before buying. Thanks again all.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #16

Why I bought a pre-owned unit and paid cash for it. Matched it up to my TV (which is almost paid off) so when its all said and done we will own both free and clear. Had a boat before the TT and paid cash for it, used it for 4 yrs then sold it (actually got back what I put into it believe it or not) to buy the TT. Everyones financial situation is different aswell as needs but for us right now I couldnt justify buying a new TV to pull a TT and carry pmts on both. Now If I was a full timer...might be a bit of a different story. Sell it to free up your $ for more importiant things.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #17

The question is what is it worth to you? No one else can answer that.. if you dont enjoy it then sell it personally I would rather sell my house than my RV..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #18

I own an antique fire truck, how do you think I feel? :-)
Tniss54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #19

There is no way to justify the cost of RV ownership. If its causing you strain financially or if you simply aren't happy owning an RV there is only 1 answer, sell it.

Just because you don't own an RV doesnt mean you can't still camp either. That's what tents are for. Plus the cost of RV ownership + cost of using the RV will certainly pay for some nice hotel vacations.

If you don't love the lifestyle then you need to sell and move on.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #20

Do u have kids?
Florida Camper is offline   Reply With Quote