Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

1971 pop up parts.

I am looking at buying a 1971 Jayco pop up frame. (at least that is what it says on the title)

its just a bare frame and no popup.

I'm looking for an online store for the surge brake parts on it but can't fine anything for that older style. All newer surge brake systems look different from this one.

Looks like this

[ATTACH]http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/resources/img/surge2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
surge2.jpg  
lt1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

If I had a nice big open garage to work with that might be a neat project. In my case however this would not be a good idea haha...

Starting with just the frame would be very extreme for me... All depends on what you want to do i reckon...

I would probably want to find a newer trailer with more of the basic electrical things added. used POPUP trailers seem to be pretty cheap around here. Most of the time all you would have to do to them is replace the fabric tops, awnings, tires, and batteries.

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Sorry I should have said.

Not converting it back to an actual popup, just decking it to use to haul a few things across the country with me, so i'm looking at places that would sell brake parts for the older style surge brake systems.

I have a small Jayco back home in LA that I will be converting for offroad use but that is for another thread.
lt1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #4

If you're turning it into a utility trailer for relatively "light" hauling, save yourself some $$ and tear the surge brakes off completely. Most small trailers sold nowdays for light hauling don't have brakes on them at all and most are hauling a rather large zero turn lawnmower. Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

Try etrailer.com for parts
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

I concur, don't bother with brakes if your load is going to be under 4000 lbs or so, assuming you're not towing with a sedan or minivan.

Two supporting anecdotes: I owned a ramp gate 6 X 10 trailer, single axle, no brakes. Towed just fine with 4 (smaller) motorcycles on it plus other stuff with a uhaul 26 footer. Also towed that trailer with my 4runner for various things..

My current pop up does not have the brakes wired, so I've been going without. Figure fully loaded for camping with beer, ice, and the family we're around 3500 pounds gross weight, haven't had any problems. Towed twice with my 4Runner, once with my friend's lifted silverado 1500.

(This is advice given freely, as such it is worth nothing...)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

A word of caution. Look carefully at the frame on the side where the camper door would have been. Many of the old Jayco frames cracked just behind the door and/or wheel because there was no support. It may have been welded at one point. I had this problem on a '72 Jayco PUP. You could always spot one with a cracked frame because the door wouldn't stay closed and top of it had a gap. Some people put a latch on it to keep the door closed while traveling.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote