Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #1

1991 Jayco 1208 Popup - Surge Brakes Rebuild

Got a 1991 Jayco Popup. Has Atwood master cylinder, is dry and rusted. I have seen lots of posts stating that replacement parts are not available. I also believe the brake assemblies need replacing as well (they are 7").

I have seen some posts to the effect that etrailer.com sells rebuild kits but I have not found them on their website yet. And, I don't see any way to contact them via phone to ask.

Any pointers appreciated - even if just for brake assemblies (if I cannot find a master cylinder I may just cut off the whole end-of-tongue and add a new one with a bolt-on master cylinder and actuator setup.

Went to local trailer store - they were very familiar with what I was looking for and said that have tried but cannot get any parts for either the master cylinder or the 7" brake assemblies. Curiously, they said they don't source parts from etrailer.com - just the way he said it I think he suspects that parts are out there if I can find them.

Anyone have any links?
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #2

Parts for ETB are pretty cheap, why don't you just convert? Even if you had to replace the whole axle it would just be a few hundred, plus adding a controller to your vehicle if it doesn't already have one. Think of all the things you could do with the tongue space that would free up.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Convert to ebrakes

bankr63 - thanks for the quick reply. I had thought of that based on the various other posts I have seen that suggest it. I really like electric brakes - I have them on my replacement trailer.

I was at a trailer shop this morning and we talked about it and he did not believe it possible given part availability from all the suppliers he uses.

But, I would love to pursue it if I can locate the right parts. My understanding from the conversation is it is a 7" system and the drums from my current setup are not compatible with an ebrake setup and so would need to swap them out too (and he indicated they are not available). And, if I heard right he also suggested trying to swap out for a 5-bolt setup on the axle (I have 4) but also said parts for that were hard to get.

Any pointers/ideas would be appreciated. The trailer is really in excellent condition despite its age and so I am willing to put some $$ into it to get it working for my daughter's family.
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

It really shouldn't be that difficult if you replace the whole thing. I found Dexter 3500lb axles online for around $450 as a complete kit (axle, brakes, bearings, 5 lug). You really just need to get the correct load capacity (I was guessing at 3500), and distance between the spring mounts. You would also need to add a breakaway switch and a battery if your pup doesn't already have one.

I am not endorsing this site, it was the first one that came up on a Google search for a '3500 lb axle with brake': https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/pr...ic-brake-5-lug

With a change of hubs, there's a good chance you might need a change of rims and tires too, make sure you don't go too big so they still fit inside the wheel arches.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote