Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

1992 jayco 1006 keep it quiet

Not the end of the world here but does anyone know of anything that could be applied to the top of my camper to keep the noise down from the rain. Gone are the days of the soft pitter patter of rain on canvas. Instead when the rain hits my camper top it sounds like a thousand Bb's hitting hard plastic. Thought maybe a tarp might muffle the sound or a foam mattress might work. Any suggestions? Silly question but thought I'd try. Thanks.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Anything outside will get soaked, not mention dirty and have to be secured in the wind.

What about sound-absorbing material on the inside, glued under the roof?

Or ear plugs.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

Expensive to do but EPDM rubber roof would seal the roof and offer a bit of dampening to your roof. I’ll be doing mine this Fall to deal with the hail damage.
Make sure you use RV rated rubber roof coating.

Liquid Roof RV Roof Repair Liquid EPDM Coatings - 5 Gallon Pail https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRYN18E..._om0KBbG98J4GY
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

I actually like the sound of the rain hitting the top. It's not quite as loud as the fiberglass now that I have a TPO top, but it can get loud. The most common "fix" I see in the CG's is suspending a tarp about a foot above the top with a good slope. Requires you to be camped on a forested lot with appropriate trees however; not so easy in many CG's.

You might try getting some of those interlocking foam flooring squares (about 3'*3' with the puzzle lock edges) and somehow attaching them temporarily to the roof. They are intended for outdoor use; we used these instead of an outdoor mat for a long time; they just slide into a standard garbage bag for storage.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Camp in Arizona we dream of rain drops on the top of our camper!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote