Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #1

1995 Jayco Eagle 10

I may buy a 1995 Jayco Eagle 10 that seems to be in good shape. It does not have AC or a fridge which is fine as I doubt they would work anyway.

Anyone have an older Jayco popup? My wife is concerned buying a 20 year old popup, but having rented a new popup last summer I can not see what would be a whole lot different about a new one.

Also if I want to add AC do I need to add roof supports or is the roof strong enough?
mattlreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #2

If you want to add AC at a later date look into if the unit was built for AC. If it is it has reinforcement in the ceiling to hold the weight. If not, then I would move on and shop some more.

I had two older popups and the roof ACs never gave me any trouble. If it works when you buy it then it should last.

When looking at an old popup look at the seams for canvas giving way, zippers that don't work, underneath for the cables, pulleys and winder for rust and corrosion. Tires may look good but if over 4 years than consider them an immediate replacement item. Check foam in the beds for mold and old rubber giving out. Look at the ceiling for leaks. Under seats and in cabinets for mouse droppings.

Good Luck!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you want to add AC at a later date look into if the unit was built for AC. If it is it has reinforcement in the ceiling to hold the weight. If not, then I would move on and shop some more.

Good Luck!
Tires wheels were replaced in 2016 and the bearings were rebuilt at that time as well so I think I am ok.

It has a roof vent, but not sure on the ceiling supports. On some pop-ups they can be added later, is that not the case for the Jayco?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Hi. I recently purchased a 1992 jayco 1006. Other than what RogerR said, there's not much more to add except maybe make sure there are no glaring holes or rips in the canvas. You might want to ask how often the owner used it and where he stored it in the winter. (indoors or out). If it has a heater, see if it works and how it works. Check the vinyl floor for "softness" to make sure the plywood underneath is good and not rotting. Check the trailer lights, too. In short have him or her demonstrate everything about it, if possible. Does it come with a canopy? A bottle jack or lug nut wrench to remove tires? Can it handle electric? If so, check the interior lights, etc. Battery hookup? A good, used pop up can be bought at a pretty reasonable price compared to new. It depends on how long you expect to use the camper and whether or not you plan on making it a family vacation, or just for two.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

Ad wizard, can you add a roof mount ac unit to your popup or does the roof not support it.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Although my pop up does not have an AC, I'm pretty sure you could add one as an option back then but I'm also pretty sure the roof had to be reinforced as well. I believe my roof is not reinforced. Nor would I go through the hassle of trying get an AC into the camper. Not worth the cost or hassle. If you or your wife want AC...then don't settle for any pop up that doesn't have it. Trust me, ACs are nice and pop ups can sure get hot in the summer. Also, not entirely sure, but I think in the later model years they offered a roof vent with an automatic fan. Not as sweet as AC but I'm sure it helped to cool down the camper.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

I just rebuilt the roof of my Jayco 1995 Eagle. It is literally styrofoam sandwhiched between two layers of aluminum skin, with some 1x2’s running the length in the mddle and on the sides, plus a 14” square 1x2 frame on one side. It is opposite the door(driver side) a little to the rear of middle. This was intended for roof vents or ac.
Adding a/c would require locationg this square frame, otherwise I don’t think theceiling would hold.
zanede is offline   Reply With Quote