Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

2001 Jayco Eagle 12UDST

We have been on the prowl for a pop up, and there is a 2001 Jayco Eagle 12UDST that we are interested in. It has new tires and the owner says it's in excellent condition. It has the shower/toilet option. He is asking right at $4,000. It seems a bit high to me - a dealer about 5 hours away from me has the same model also listed at $4,000, so it seems that a private seller should be a bit less. It's tough to find many of these for sale with the shower/toilet option, so it's hard to come up with an appropriate offer. Is the $4,000 a good price? NADA indicates the value of the trailer at more like $2,000, depending on which options it has. But I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Also, if we do decide to go check it out in person, are there anythings in particular we should look for?

TIA,
Mcwick
mcwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF.

We recommend using the PDI found here and approach it as if you are going to buy it but walk away if everything is not what you are looking for;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ted-36094.html
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

Welcome to JOF.

That price sounds pretty high for a 16 year old pup to me too, unless it is in pristine condition.

@abarkl's list is a good place to start, but is more suited to hardside trailers and RV's. A couple of different things to look for on pop up.

1. Make sure that the seller opens the unit up with you present. You want to ensure that the lift mechanism works smoothly and correctly.
2. Use a tape measure to measure the from the roof corners back down to the box at all four corners. The measures should be pretty close (+-1/4"), or there may be problems with the lift mechanism.
3.. Examine the tenting from the outside next. This is the best chance to see tears or other issues on the top of the canvas.
4. Extend the bed slides. Do they operate smoothly? All supports present?
5. Install the shepherd poles and inspect the canvas again both in and out. Does it fit well? Any cuts or holes? Check carefully inside for mold spots. Also let your nose be your guide for musty odors. I would be especially careful with this one because a shower and canvas don't generally play well together without a lot of care.
6. Check the axle camber. With the trailer unloaded the tires should actually toe in a little at the bottom. Once loaded, the axle will generally compress to neutral. If the trailer is empty and the wheels flare out at the bottom, then the axle is bent. Note that you should sometimes be a little suspicious of new tires, old tires can tell you alot about how the trailer suspension is performing. Putting new tires on sometimes covers a problem.

Those are the main pup points I can think of. All of the other stuff is in the "big list", but be sure that everything is shown to work. The water heater heats, the propane actually works, the fridge works on propane/12V/120V, the water pump works etc.

Personally I would run from mold or axle issues. Everything else would be starting point for negotiating down. If it turns out that it passes every test with flying colors, maybe $4k isn't so bad.
Good luck!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Welcome to JOF.

That price sounds pretty high for a 16 year old pup to me too, unless it is in pristine condition.

@abarkl's list is a good place to start, but is more suited to hardside trailers and RV's. A couple of different things to look for on pop up.

1. Make sure that the seller opens the unit up with you present. You want to ensure that the lift mechanism works smoothly and correctly.
2. Use a tape measure to measure the from the roof corners back down to the box at all four corners. The measures should be pretty close (+-1/4"), or there may be problems with the lift mechanism.
3.. Examine the tenting from the outside next. This is the best chance to see tears or other issues on the top of the canvas.
4. Extend the bed slides. Do they operate smoothly? All supports present?
5. Install the shepherd poles and inspect the canvas again both in and out. Does it fit well? Any cuts or holes? Check carefully inside for mold spots. Also let your nose be your guide for musty odors. I would be especially careful with this one because a shower and canvas don't generally play well together without a lot of care.
6. Check the axle camber. With the trailer unloaded the tires should actually toe in a little at the bottom. Once loaded, the axle will generally compress to neutral. If the trailer is empty and the wheels flare out at the bottom, then the axle is bent. Note that you should sometimes be a little suspicious of new tires, old tires can tell you alot about how the trailer suspension is performing. Putting new tires on sometimes covers a problem.

Those are the main pup points I can think of. All of the other stuff is in the "big list", but be sure that everything is shown to work. The water heater heats, the propane actually works, the fridge works on propane/12V/120V, the water pump works etc.

Personally I would run from mold or axle issues. Everything else would be starting point for negotiating down. If it turns out that it passes every test with flying colors, maybe $4k isn't so bad.
Good luck!
Thanks for this info! I told him what the NADA price was, and he said he wouldn't go that low, but he agreed to $3k. If it's in as excellent condition as he says it is, I think we'll probably get it. We go this Saturday to look at it, and I will definitely be going over every inch of it looking for issues. Our friend who has owned several TT is going with us, too, so he can help us look.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
Thanks for this info! I told him what the NADA price was, and he said he wouldn't go that low, but he agreed to $3k. If it's in as excellent condition as he says it is, I think we'll probably get it. We go this Saturday to look at it, and I will definitely be going over every inch of it looking for issues. Our friend who has owned several TT is going with us, too, so he can help us look.
Let us know how you make out.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Well, I texted the owner to get his address so we could drive down yesterday and look at it and buy it. He responded that he thought it was sold. The people were supposed to come back at 4 to pay. (We were going to look at 2). He never replied back one way or the other, but even if it didn't sell, we've decided not to mess with this seller anymore. So, back to the hunt! Thanks for all your helpful advice on here.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #7

Bankr63 gave you a great list but I would also add check the floor for soft spots. Thats another sign that there's been a leak.

Also, remember that NADA and Kelly's Blue Book are just guides. Fold-downs are strange in that they are worth whatever you can get out of them. Often you will see a good, clean, old fold-down go for way more than the guidebooks tell you. The banks use them for loans and the dealers use them for trade-in value but if an owner is selling on their own, they are worth whatever they can get. Around here a good, clean, older fold-down is hard to come by as they go as quickly as they are put on the market or sold to friends or family and never really make it on the market.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
Bankr63 gave you a great list but I would also add check the floor for soft spots. Thats another sign that there's been a leak.

Also, remember that NADA and Kelly's Blue Book are just guides. Fold-downs are strange in that they are worth whatever you can get out of them. Often you will see a good, clean, old fold-down go for way more than the guidebooks tell you. The banks use them for loans and the dealers use them for trade-in value but if an owner is selling on their own, they are worth whatever they can get. Around here a good, clean, older fold-down is hard to come by as they go as quickly as they are put on the market or sold to friends or family and never really make it on the market.
I am definitely learning this lesson. Half the stuff I bookmark to show my husband is gone within a day or two - or at least the stuff that is reasonably priced is. Most of the ads are ones that have been on there forever because they want too much for the camper. My husband is more of a cautious sort and even he is starting to realize that we are gonna have to act quickly (but not stupidly) when we find one we like. After making a list of MUST haves and LIKES he agreed to increase our budget when he saw how few of them were out there and how quickly there were gone. In the meantime, I check craigslist for 250 miles around several times a day . . .