Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

2003 Qwest Roof Issue

Hi all! I To be quick, I have a 2003 Qwest with some rot where the lift mechanism is secured to the roof of the camper at the front. I started this repair almost two years ago by removing all of the trim and started removing all of the rotten wood inside around the lift mechanism. I was preparing to remove the metal roof skin from the wood so that we could replace the pieces of what looks to be plywood on the ceiling and interior parts of the roof. Then cancer happened and my significant other died in December.

It's time for me to put this back together so I can use it. I honestly have no idea what I'm about to have to do. Any advice? Has anyone else had to replace this part of the interior part of a similar camper? We did figure out that the AC unit was leaking and that moisture was what caused the rot issue.

I don't think anything else is damaged. Any helpful words of advice are welcome!!! Thank you all for being so welcoming. I'm looking forward to learning many new things and sharing my new adventures with yall!

Laurie
LaurieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieW View Post
Hi all! I To be quick, I have a 2003 Qwest with some rot where the lift mechanism is secured to the roof of the camper at the front. I started this repair almost two years ago by removing all of the trim and started removing all of the rotten wood inside around the lift mechanism. I was preparing to remove the metal roof skin from the wood so that we could replace the pieces of what looks to be plywood on the ceiling and interior parts of the roof. Then cancer happened and my significant other died in December.

It's time for me to put this back together so I can use it. I honestly have no idea what I'm about to have to do. Any advice? Has anyone else had to replace this part of the interior part of a similar camper? We did figure out that the AC unit was leaking and that moisture was what caused the rot issue.

I don't think anything else is damaged. Any helpful words of advice are welcome!!! Thank you all for being so welcoming. I'm looking forward to learning many new things and sharing my new adventures with yall!

Laurie
Sorry to hear about your loss. I too had a lot of rot in my class c above the driver in the overhead cab. I sent pics and people helped. Maybe if you shared a pic of the damage some of us could get a better idea what your dealing with and maybe point you in the right direction.
S.H.M.I.L.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #3

rot

With it rotting under a lifter post you will most likely need to weld on a metal plate to help reinforce this area.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote