Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #1

2008 Jay series 1007 tire rub

I have a 2008 Jay series 1007 popup that I purchased used. It came with new tires that I believe are the right size. They are ST145R12. I have only hauled it once but had the right tire rub a hole in the plastic fender.
I am pretty sure that I did not have it overloaded. At the most I had maybe 300 pounds of cargo. Cargo consisted of a small folding table, 4 camp chairs, an empty cooler, 2 burner Coleman stove, 18" Weber grill and a tote with our dishes. I did not have the propane tank installed on the tongue or the propane stove.
I do have a Carrier roof top air conditioning unit, but that's on the left side that did not rub.
I am thinking about either adding a set of bump stops above the springs or making longer links for the leaf springs. Has anyone done this?
Kneab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

If it isn't overloaded it sounds like the leaf springs need to be replaced. They are not expensive to replace and any local spring shop can do the job.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #3

So I talked to a few local trailer shops and got prices on new springs and ¾" longer shackles. I ended up gaining about 1½ inches of height for about$60
Kneab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #4

I rubbed a hole through a plastic wheel tub on mine, but it was because I placed something heavy on top of the tub. The plastic is more flexible than you think and can deflect enough to touch the wheel if you put something heavy directly on top.

I just used aluminum tape both sides to patch it, and it lasted for several years until we traded.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote