Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #1

2009 Jayco 1206 Fresh Water Drain.

So Idk if I am just being an idiot or what but this is driving me nuts. I recently purchased a used 2009 Jayco Jay Series 1206 pop-up camper that has a freshwater holding tank. I see where the drain valve is located but it makes zero sense because you can't actually drain all the water out due to its location.

As you can see in the picture, there ends up being 2 inches of water left at the bottom of the tank because the drain valve is above the waterline. Does anybody have any advice? I can not understand why Jayco would do this unless I am missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
photo_2021-03-30_14-18-28.jpg  
CZill84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #2

It's really just the nature of the tank. That is about as close to the edge as you can place those spin in connectors. I suppose they could have put the connectors through the bottom of the tank, but that would make it much more susceptible to road damage. Your connection is beefier than the one on our old 1007, but pretty similar.

That inch or so of water left in the tank shouldn't be an issue for frost. As the top surface is open, and the tank is heavy plastic, a bit of expansion in the ice can be handled. The same thing happens in the water heater tank as well; the drain is not at absolute bottom and a bit of water is left behind.

If you are trying for a more complete drain out, put the opposite wheel of the trailer up on blocks to angle the tank toward the drain plug.
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

I suspect that is not what Jayco provided, they probably just had a plastic screw in drain plug there and this valve was add by the previous owner. I will also add that I wouldn't be all that comfortable with the way it is now as it appears a rock or some road debris could hit it and break it off which could possibly ruin the tank. I would consider going back with a drain plug or tightening this another ~90 degrees to help prevent damage due to its low clearance. I agree with bankr63 that an inch or two of water shouldn't be an issue, just like a plastic ice cube tray the ice expands upward when able to do so, but... I would likely pour about a 1/2 gallon of rv antifreeze in the water tank just to be completely sure. ~CA
Old 03-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
but... I would likely pour about a 1/2 gallon of rv antifreeze in the water tank just to be completely sure. ~CA
TBH, I wouldn't. That stuff tastes horrible, and as you noted, you will never completely empty that tank, so getting rid of it completely will be tough.

I was okay adding bleach to sanitize. A couple of fill/empty cycles and any residual chlorine is likely no more than what is naturally in your tap water, it will also dissipate pretty quickly if just left sitting and escape out the overflow tube.

ETA - you probably also have a water filter located under the kitchen sink. Don't forget to remove and bypass it before winterizing or sanitizing the water system.
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
TBH, I wouldn't. That stuff tastes horrible, and as you noted, you will never completely empty that tank, so getting rid of it completely will be tough.

I was okay adding bleach to sanitize. A couple of fill/empty cycles and any residual chlorine is likely no more than what is naturally in your tap water, it will also dissipate pretty quickly if just left sitting and escape out the overflow tube.

ETA - you probably also have a water filter located under the kitchen sink. Don't forget to remove and bypass it before winterizing or sanitizing the water system.
Good point, I wouldn't want to drink any of the antifreeze even if it is safe to do so.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
X-2 As was mentioned just raise the opposite side to drain as much as possible and then leave the valve open. I'm even wondering if that is the original tank. I have never seen one with paint/glue on the connections they are usually molded into the tank.