Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #1

2011 Jayco 1006 bike rack suggestions

Hello everyone,

I am really new to the camping adventure. I am trying to figure out how to get four bikes onto the top of the pop up. I thought about using my existing bike rack between the car and trailer, but I am really leaning towards the top of pop up.
There are bars on the top of the pop up and I assume I would need cross bars and then bike holders. I would rather NOT take the front tires off when transporting.
Does anyone have comments, suggestions, anything?????

As of now, it will cost me about $400 for the set up. Even if there is a higher cost with a better solution, I am all for it.

Thanks in advance for this newbie,

David
david0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

I just built mine using a 2x4, eye-bolts, Sunlite Bike block (google them or look on certain online auction site) and some web straps. I will try and post pics when I get home. Everything came from the HW store except the bike blocks which I bought online.

Cut the 2x4 to length across the camper (mine was just under 7'), I cut the ends at a miter angle of 45 so the straps were not going over a 90 deg corner. With the left over cutoff (10' long board) I cut three spacer "legs". These were about 1' long and attached to the main board at perpendicular angles, two at end end and one in the middle. The end boards needed additional 1/2" spacers to make everything sit flat on the top of the camper. I glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the underside of these legs to protect the top of the camper. (the carpet was available as free samples at one of the local big box stores, just took half a dozen of them and some trimming).

Spaced the 4 bike blocks equally across the board and bolted them to it with 1/4" bolts and nylok nuts. Also spaced the 4 eye bolts equally over the board (use machine bolts through the board, not lag). Drilled and put eye bolts in the camper frame, on the door side I put it so it would be between the door and the front storage access door, then the other one I measured and duplicated the location on the other side of the camper. A strap goes from the eyebolt in the camper frame to the eye bolt on the end of the board. I use 14' straps and the leftover strap I wrap around the rear wheels of the bikes to keep them from sliding around, the loose ends get tied together in the middle. A strap goes from one of the middle eye bolts, down and around the tongue and back up to the other middle eye bolt, this prevents the bike rack from sliding rear-ward. Might switch this to rope so that in the event the bike rack slid forward the strap wouldn't fall out of the eye bolt.

The eye bolts in the frame double as my dog's leash holder so she is leashed when in the camp ground...

Oh sorry, just saw your comment about not removing front tires...
2015 Jay Series 1207UD - Current

TV: 2008 E350 15-passenger traded for 2014 Honda Odyssey (current)
NY_Rocking_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Not sure where my quick reply went...

...so you may already have this, but I loved this purchase. Worked great from Missouri to Colorado and back. Bikes rode secure.

ProRac Proformance Bike Rack | Tent Trailer Bike Rack |
Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #4

David,
We have had our a-frame 1 1/2 years. We have used our Swagman tow rack for out-of-state trips with no problems. Plan to use a rack on our camper for our kayaks! We love adventure.
http://http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n...man+tow+bike+4
Aframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Thank You everyone for the replies. I do like the one Aframer listed, but have concerns over the chains and clearance. We will be taking our first trip within the week and I may pass on the bikes for our first time.

David
david0619 is offline   Reply With Quote