Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

2012 Jayco Sport 8 Awning Wanted

Greetings and Salutations! We recently purchased a 2012 Jayco Sport 8 Pop Up and we are looking to find an awning for it. I have search online and can't seem to find any info on which one we need, etc. I have seen a screened room option as well, but it says it attaches to the awning that I can not find...

There appears to already be a rail on the door side that it would attach too.

Anyone know where these are sold and do I need the 7' or 8' size (or should I go by the length of the rail (if that's what it's for)?

Any help would be appreciated!

FinsUp!
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Other than waiting to hear from someone here than can help, my suggestions would be to call Jayco customer service with the VIN# or try RV surplus companies.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Carefree of colorado awnings

If am not a fan of the awning that Jayco uses. I would strongly recommend considering a carefree of colorado awning. The supports attach to the side of the camper making it much easier to put up, store and sturdier in the wind.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Other than waiting to hear from someone here than can help, my suggestions would be to call Jayco customer service with the VIN# or try RV surplus companies.
Thanks for the response. I have explored Jayco pretty extensively already but those item don't appear to be something the sell after market. It's not even included in their parts catalog that has a specific section for awnings... just have awning parts such as clips, etc...
Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
If am not a fan of the awning that Jayco uses. I would strongly recommend considering a carefree of colorado awning. The supports attach to the side of the camper making it much easier to put up, store and sturdier in the wind.
Thanks for the info. This is our first pop up, heard a lot of good things about Jayco, so I assumed the awning would be good to go as well. I will look into Carefree of Colorado. I assume by the comment that the Jayco ones are hard to put up and flimsy?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
Thanks for the response. I have explored Jayco pretty extensively already but those item don't appear to be something the sell after market. It's not even included in their parts catalog that has a specific section for awnings... just have awning parts such as clips, etc...
Have you called Jayco? It is my understanding they have records of what was installed when the unit was built. As long as you call with a VIN#, they will happily tell you what they find. It's not clear how far back they keep that kind of information, but 2012 does't seem unreasonable.

Jayco may not have the part (or may not sell it to you if they did), but they might be able to tell you the vendor and the vendor's product number for that awning.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

The awning on our Eagle 12 UDK had seen better days so I ordered a replacement from RVWorkshop. Ordering Information RVWorkShop | RV Workshop

They also have the matching screen rooms.

I'm very happy with it. It was easy to install and easy to set up.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #8

Jayco awning

No I am not suggesting that Jayco Awnings are flimsy but they are complicated to put up and have a lot of loose parts. Take a look at this video?

All parts for the Carefree of Colorado awning are attached to the awnings. The legs attach to the side of the camper rather than sitting on the ground. It does not require ropes to anchor it to the ground.

We traded up to a carefree awning when we bought our camper and had the dealer install it. We also had radial tires put on since we did not feel comfortable with the original equipment bias ply tires for interstate highway driving.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
No I am not suggesting that Jayco Awnings are flimsy but they are complicated to put up and have a lot of loose parts. Take a look at this video?

All parts for the Carefree of Colorado awning are attached to the awnings. The legs attach to the side of the camper rather than sitting on the ground. It does not require ropes to anchor it to the ground.

We traded up to a carefree awning when we bought our camper and had the dealer install it. We also had radial tires put on since we did not feel comfortable with the original equipment bias ply tires for interstate highway driving.
Whew! That wore me out just watching and I gave up after a minute-30.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #10

WOW... I can see why the Jayco setup is.... umm... complicated to say the least.... we went with a pop-up to avoid the pain-in-the-a$$ setup of a nice tent... Think I will go with the Carefree of Colorado Awning or similar route... Thanks for all your input on my question!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #11

It certainly seems like that video is for the Jayco Australia model (Flamingo Outback). Although the Jayco America bag awnings aren't the easiest thing to install, they are nowhere near as difficult as that would have you believe.

The awning on ours, and most others I have seen, has the front pole integrated into the awning fabric. You roll the awning into the bag around the pole. There are 3 rafter poles and 3 riser poles only. There is a pin at the end of each rafter pole that goes through a loop fitting at the top of the riser pole, and into a hole in the header pole. The rafter poles are spring loaded to keep the awning fabric under tension; no adjustment necessary. The riser poles do have an adjustment to account for uneven ground.

Having used ours for 8 years, I would say it really wasn't that difficult to do, and generally took only 5 minutes. The screen room was a pain in the A55 and we only used it about 3 times. Sure, I like the electric awning on our HTT now; who wouldn't like just pressing a button? But the bag awning is much sturdier, and ours provided a lot of extra shelter space on the stormy days when our Carefree has to be pulled in now.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote