Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

2017 Jay Sport 12UD Spare Tire Mount Broke

I took a trip from Ohio to South Carolina last week and somewhere close to our destination I had a car pull up next to me and tell me my spare tire was dragging. I pulled over and got to the back of the trailer to see this. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I'm assuming this will be covered under warranty.

ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

Yes that should be a warranty item. Take another closeup where it attaches to the bumper and forward both pictures to your dealer. This is what I did to save making an appointment and hauling to the dealer. My dealer just ordered the part and sent it to me.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Yes that should be a warranty item. Take another closeup where it attaches to the bumper and forward both pictures to your dealer. This is what I did to save making an appointment and hauling to the dealer. My dealer just ordered the part and sent it to me.
Gotcha. Thanks! I'll have to contact them then. I'm not sure what caused it to fail though. it appears that the screw holding on the top of the bracket to the back of the trailer pulled out. Not sure if they just weren't the right screws or what. So I didn't know if they'd have to go in and see if that mounting location needed to be modified to support the bracket. Here are a few more pictures of it.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #4

To me it looks like something or someone had to have grabbed the spare tire and gave it a good yank, to break the screws loose. It does not help the steel does not have a crease in it to give it some extra rigidity.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGTI View Post
I took a trip from Ohio to South Carolina last week and somewhere close to our destination I had a car pull up next to me and tell me my spare tire was dragging. I pulled over and got to the back of the trailer to see this. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I'm assuming this will be covered under warranty.

We had the same thing happen on our 2017 12SC. The bad part about the situation is my wife was traveling by herself because I was trapped south due to severe weather. It was not until she pulled into the campsite that she was notified. Having referenced a good tool list from the forums prior to departing on our first trip, it enabled my wife to remove the bracket on her own.

My dealer handled the repair under warranty but refused to replace my tire due to the flat spot not being large enough. I will be handling the matter directly with Jayco when get back from our two week Utah trip. The dealer said it was a problem they have frequently seen and they say it is due to no bracing being applied to the backside of the bracket from the factory. It is a QC problem on the Jayco side but something that the dealer should look for since it is known problem.
AW.Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

I ended up getting this fixed at my local Jayco dealer. They covered it under warranty. It looks like it's a lot more sturdy, and hopefully won't happen again.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

I like what they did there ( nuts & bolts instead if lag screws) Did they add the wood or was that there already?
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
I like what they did there ( nuts & bolts instead if lag screws) Did they add the wood or was that there already?
Yeah, it seems a lot more sturdy now. I believe that wood was already there. I think it is part of the "box" that forums the seat base of the dinette.