Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

97 Jayco Popup wheel troubles

I have a 97 Jayco Popup camper, don't remember the model off the top of my head. I went to pick it up from storage the other day and the right side wheel would only turn a small amount. I am not mechanically inclined and the little I do know I know even less about campers. I assumed it was the surge brakes locked up but again I don't know much about campers. I loosened up the tire bolts in an effort to remove the tire and got more rotation out of the wheel but it would still catch on occasion. I pulled the tire completely off and spun just the hub and it again would hang up occasionally. I sprayed a large amount of lubricant onto the back portion of the hub and it seemed to free up the wheel. I put the tire back on and was able to pull the camper back to my home, about 4 miles. I obviously need to fix whatever the issue is but I don't know where to start. There was fluid in the brake line reservoir and it pulled fine when i pulled it. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I also forgot to mention when I spun just the hub it made a grinding noise. I am sure the bearings need to be replaced as well but I don't know why the wheel would hang up like that and then move after it was lubricated. Thanks in advance for any help.
cscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Team

From your description, here's a few possible reasons for your trouble:
1) some rust formed inside the brake drum when in storage, and the brake shoes are scrubbing on the rust.

2) the brake shoe material came loose from the shoe frame.

3) the hydraulic brake cylinder is frozen up, and the shoes aren't retracting.

4) one or both of the wheel bearings are bad.

5) the brake master cylinder is bad.

Either way, if you sprayed lubricant into the drum, the brake shoes inside are contaminated, and WILL need replacing at a minimum.

My best guess, based on your description, is a rusty drum. On the chance that the wheel cylinder has leaked a little, brake fluid attracts moisture from the air, and rust forms from it. It's not a disaster, but definitely needs some attention.

And welcome to the forum from Western NYS!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

Okay, the first question is "how handy are you?"

The hubs and brakes on a pup aren't particularly complex, and if you are comfortable with mechanical work, then the work is pretty easy to DIY. However, based on your story, I suspect you aren't too comfortable with this. If you think you are capable, lots of good YouTube videos go over the process.

When was the last time you had the bearings repacked? Manufacturers recommend this maintenance annually, although I usually do mine EOY because we don't travel a lot. If you have not been servicing the bearings regularly, they could have dried out and seized, and that is my guess of cause.

The other option is as @JFlightRisk points out. Either way the hubs and brakes will need full disassembly and rebuilding, especially as the lube you sprayed in hasn't helped either system. You may need brake parts, bearings, seals, and possibly even spindles. Parts are pretty easy to obtain and not too expensive.

If the thought of doing that yourself made you cringe, find a reputable local mechanic or dealer who will do the work for you. No specialized skills are required, so many mechanical shops can do it. The trailer is over 20 years old, so it doesn't need to be an RV shop (no warranty concerns).

And welcome to JOF. With a '97 pup, what took you so long to find us?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote