Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

A/C on a pop up

How do they work, wiring wise? Do they have a separate plug? Do they wire into the trailers existing wiring and work though the 15A line into a serviced site? What is the line for BTU where they stop being able to use 15A and what is the minimum BTU that tends to be effective for a pop up tent?

I had some advice from grumpy to go 13500 but wouldn't that require 30A power?

I'm a little at sea about the power requirements of tent AC roof mounted units and how they plug in.

Cheers

AC
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

30 amp was supposed to be standard on that year. There would be a single outlet near the dinette that is set up for the a/c, at least that is how they used to do it.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

When you say a single outlet near the dinette, do you mean there is already a place for the AC to plug into the trailer, or there should be?
Old 07-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
When you say a single outlet near the dinette, do you mean there is already a place for the AC to plug into the trailer, or there should be?
Yes. When you install the a/c the cord runs along/thru the roof support and then hangs down by the curtains/window and just plugs in.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #5

Great! That makes sense. Hey speaking of power, 30A etc. Checking the manual it does seem to be 30A. I have it plugged thru an adapter into a GFCI plugin my garage currently. My questions are

a) what amperage does a standard north american house have and
b) is it safe using the adapter pictured?
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20200704_150359.jpg  
Old 07-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #6

Most have 15 amp circuits with some 20's mixed in. I had my garage wired with 2 separate 20 amp circuits (3 duplex outlets each) and a 30 amp RV line. That adapter is OK. If you use it with the a/c it will probably get warm.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Thank you.

With rooftop AC units, what all do you need? It seems there is both the rooftop unit and then a control panel or some such that is separate? Is that right? How many components do you need to assemble to have a functioning unit?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

The a/c and the ceiling assembly are sold separately. You want the "NON DUCTED" ceiling assembly since it has the controls built in instead of a wall thermostat.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The a/c and the ceiling assembly are sold separately. You want the "NON DUCTED" ceiling assembly since it has the controls built in instead of a wall thermostat.
That makes sense!

So the trailer already has a vent there between the supports. Will any rv AC unit do and fit to that precut hole? Or are there ones that are "the right size"
Old 07-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
That makes sense!

So the trailer already has a vent there between the supports. Will any rv AC unit do and fit to that precut hole? Or are there ones that are "the right size"
Any brand will work since the vent is 14X14
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #11

Assuming I am able to get both the AC unit and the ceiling unit, is it pretty plug and play to install, where the trailer is already ac ready? Do you happen to know of a detailed step by step guide?

I have managed to find a brand new 2020 dometic brisk air 2 with heat strip for 650, probably about 750 CAD shipped. Does that seem like a good deal?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Assuming I am able to get both the AC unit and the ceiling unit, is it pretty plug and play to install, where the trailer is already ac ready? Do you happen to know of a detailed step by step guide?

I have managed to find a brand new 2020 dometic brisk air 2 with heat strip for 650, probably about 750 CAD shipped. Does that seem like a good deal?
Manuals are available on the internet. Price sounds about right.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
30 amp was supposed to be standard on that year. There would be a single outlet near the dinette that is set up for the a/c, at least that is how they used to do it.
As I look for these items I think I've found what I need.

Ceiling control unit is https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HJQ86UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jFHaFb0S5ST3Q

Roof unit is the Dometic Brisk II Polar white air 13,500 BTU. It is new but taken off a new RV and replaced with a lower profile one for storage space (short garage). So I want to make sure it comes with everything.

I have a couple questions:

Should these be compatible with each other and the standard vent hole?

Would the roof unit or the ceiling controls be what should have the wiring to plug into the trailer? Ie if I am trying to make sure it comes with everything i need, if the wiring is normally with the roof unit maybe I need to get it, the ceiling unit being new from Amazon will have everything, and

What is required for a gasket/seal, and is this usually included with either part? If so, with the roof AC unit or the ceiling control unit?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I made this mod on our previous pop-up. I got a used 13500 BTU Coleman Mach and it fit right into the opening where the vent was. Make sure you buy a new seal.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I made this mod on our previous pop-up. I got a used 13500 BTU Coleman Mach and it fit right into the opening where the vent was. Make sure you buy a new seal.

Must have been the Mach 3? I'm looking at a Mach 3 plus right now, how do you like it? Still holding up?
Old 07-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes. When you install the a/c the cord runs along/thru the roof support and then hangs down by the curtains/window and just plugs in.
I see the wire sleeve that runs down the wall (see pics 1 and 2) and understand the wiring from the AC would run along a wire cover to the wall, behind the valance, and then down this sleeve.

I am a little confused at this part. I just watched a video of a fellow wiring in a dometic into a FR pop up.

He had to directly wire it to the junction box (through a GFCI outlet which he wired) into the 20A breaker, which was empty. When I went into my junction box, I found that the 20A breaker has a hot wire already wired in. However, when I trace it back it seems to go to a large gauge yellow cord (see pics, arrow indicates wire traced back from 20A breaker), which goes I'm not sure where? The 20A breaker is labeled as being for AC.

I'm a bit confused as to where the air conditioner is meant to plug in, and what that yellow wire is?

I can't be supposed to use the GFCI plug under the dinette, right? It's on a separate breaker and there is the 20A expressly labeled as AC.

Wisdom appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
sleeve 1.jpg   sleeve 2.jpg   breaker.jpg   top box 1.jpg   top box 2.jpg  

top box 3.jpg   top box 4.jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #17

The yellow wire is #12 and is for the air conditioner. Does it just end under the dinette? The air conditioner plug was usually a 20 amp that had one spade vertical and one horizontal and the ground pin. The receptacle would look the same.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #18

Could you not just have a separate wire for the A/C that would plug into your shore power. Maybe fix it to have a shore power plug on the outside wall of the camper.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
The yellow wire is #12 and is for the air conditioner. Does it just end under the dinette? The air conditioner plug was usually a 20 amp that had one spade vertical and one horizontal and the ground pin. The receptacle would look the same.
The one end of it goes to the 20A breaker, the other end just disappears behind the sink cabinet as per the photos... I don't know maybe it is just loose and capped inside there and tucked away waiting to be wired to the AC distribution box?

Would AC ever be wired directly into the breaker without a plug in?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Cancel my last. Bingo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200707_153911.jpg