Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

AC to DC

My family recently purchased a 2013 Jay Series Sport 12BS. This past weekend we took it camping for the first time without full hookups.

We could not get any appliances to run on 12v while we were there. Is there a switch somewhere to switch from AC to DC power or does it automatically run on DC if it’s not plugged in? I read through the owner’s manual, but couldn’t find anything. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s the battery that needs to be replaced or if it’s just me not knowing what I’m doing.

Thanks!
NorCalKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Only thing that will work on 12v is fridge, with propane, and furnace.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Only thing that will work on 12v is fridge, with propane, and furnace.
I couldn’t get the fridge or furnace to work. I assume they both require a small amount of electricity from the battery to light the propane. I just don’t know if my battery needs to be replaced or if there’s a switch I don’t know about to switch from AC to DC.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

Probably one on the front of the converter which may be on the front of a dinette seat.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The Furnace and Fridge controls works on 12 volt and also all lighting works on 12 volt from the battery or converter when you are plugged to shore-power (110 Volt).
The Furnace (for heat) and Fridge (for cooling system) are supplied with propane.
The Fridge can also run on 110 Volts. Maybe some reading in the manuals might be some help.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #6

There is a switch on the dinette. I assumed it was the water pump. I’ll have to check it tomorrow it more closely.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The Furnace and Fridge controls works on 12 volt and also all lighting works on 12 volt from the battery or converter when you are plugged to shore-power (110 Volt).
The Furnace (for heat) and Fridge (for cooling system) are supplied with propane.
The Fridge can also run on 110 Volts. Maybe some reading in the manuals might be some help.
I read through the manuals. Don’t you need a small amount of electricity to get the fridge and furnace running on propane? I know what the appliances run on. My question is simple. Do you need to manually switch to DC or does the trailer automatically run on DC if not plugged into 110.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

If not plugged to shore-power 12 volt is drawn from the battery. The furnace when run uses the most (fan and controls). The Fridge only for the controls. So watch the battery you go not below 11.9 volt. Say if you would use an DC volt meter and it shows 12.3 Volt the Furnace will bring it down to 11.9 Volt. The power-converter will charge the battery when on shore-power (or generator).
Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #9

Sorry to ask the obvious, but since you only mentioned the frig and furnace not working, are you sure they are getting propane? Does the kitchen stove light?
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
If not plugged to shore-power 12 volt is drawn from the battery. The furnace when run uses the most (fan and controls). The Fridge only for the controls. So watch the battery you go not below 11.9 volt. Say if you would use an DC volt meter and it shows 12.3 Volt the Furnace will bring it down to 11.9 Volt. The power-converter will charge the battery when on shore-power (or generator).
Thanks for the info. I think my battery must be bad. Am I correct in my assumption that you need to either be plugged in or running DC to get the fridge started while running it on propane?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcoder View Post
Sorry to ask the obvious, but since you only mentioned the frig and furnace not working, are you sure they are getting propane? Does the kitchen stove light?
Good question. Yes, the propane works. The stove works inside and outside and I successfully lit he pilot on the water heater.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKing View Post
Thanks for the info. I think my battery must be bad. Am I correct in my assumption that you need to either be plugged in or running DC to get the fridge started while running it on propane?
Yes, the electronic controls on both the frig and furnace require 12 volts from either your battery or your converter. If you have the typical WFCO converter, it switches automatically. The WFCO will also work without a battery.

If you can't get either the frig or furnace to work on battery or converter, then I would be looking for a propane issue. Both of them use so little propane, that it takes quite awhile to get the air out of the lines. It's also quite possible spiders have built tiny webs near the orfices. They love propane. The webs (hard to see) disrupt the air/gas mixture.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 AM   #13
Site Team

Take the battery to a auto parts shop and have it tested. Take your checkbook with you!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKing View Post
Good question. Yes, the propane works. The stove works inside and outside and I successfully lit he pilot on the water heater.
NorCal,

On my old popup the fridge was a a three-way, meaning it ran on 110ac, 12dc, or propane. With mine, it didn’t require battery power to start or to run. You had to light the pilot manually. Underway, you had to switch to 12v as the pilot would blow out in the wind.

The same for the water heater, I had to light it manually as there was no electronic start.

PS: If you do need a new battery, be sure and get the right one as a standard car battery won’t work well

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #15

There is no switch. The furnace and lights get their power from the battery or converter.

Your fridge probably requires no 12V and will have a button similar to a gas grill that you push to light it. These things can be a real pain in the butt to light because as was mentioned you need to purge the air from the line before it will light. There will be a button that you have to hold down to run the propane while you're hitting the spark button and you'll hear a "pop" when you're successful, though sometimes it will pop and blow itself out. Mine had a little tiny door you could hold open to look inside the chimney to see if it was lit which was difficult on a sunny day.

Do your lights work when plugged in? What happens to them when you unplug? If they get dim or go out I would say your battery is toast. Most batteries will not tolerate several prolonged discharges.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #16

I dont think its a propane issue because I suvvessfully lit the stove and water heater. Maybe i just need to turn on the furnace and let it sit for a while to see if it start.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #17

On the Furnace itself is a service switch, which has to be on. On the TH is also a little switch.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #18

Be sure TH is on high when testing.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
There is no switch. The furnace and lights get their power from the battery or converter.

Your fridge probably requires no 12V and will have a button similar to a gas grill that you push to light it. These things can be a real pain in the butt to light because as was mentioned you need to purge the air from the line before it will light. There will be a button that you have to hold down to run the propane while you're hitting the spark button and you'll hear a "pop" when you're successful, though sometimes it will pop and blow itself out. Mine had a little tiny door you could hold open to look inside the chimney to see if it was lit which was difficult on a sunny day.

Do your lights work when plugged in? What happens to them when you unplug? If they get dim or go out I would say your battery is toast. Most batteries will not tolerate several prolonged discharges.
I purged the propane system by burning the stove for a few minutes. Maybe I just need more patience with the fridge.

When we unplug, the lights will go super dim just for a minute, then go out completely. Sounds like I need a new battery.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
NorCal,

On my old popup the fridge was a a three-way, meaning it ran on 110ac, 12dc, or propane. With mine, it didn’t require battery power to start or to run. You had to light the pilot manually. Underway, you had to switch to 12v as the pilot would blow out in the wind.

The same for the water heater, I had to light it manually as there was no electronic start.

PS: If you do need a new battery, be sure and get the right one as a standard car battery won’t work well
My fridge is a 3 way also, but I don’t see a spot to light the pilot manually. The water heater has to be manually lit and it works, so I know my propane system works.