Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2022, 01:05 AM   #1

Lightbulb Adding air hole for water tank.

Cheers from Cape York, Qld

Does everyone have problems filling the WT on their 2004 Hawk OB (or similar model)? Having no way to help the air from the tank escape means it competes with the water going in and I have to fill it a very low pressure.

Have a similar problem when emptying as well.

I'm thinking of installing some sort of sealable air hole near the top of the tank with a plug that I can just remove when filling up.

Has anyone done something like this and can recommend a method or even parts to use?
Oceanearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:40 AM   #2

Interesting. Most campers/caravans have some type of vent hose, coming from the top of the tank, or very near, to either dribble out underneath, or is run through a tube to the gravity fill port.
At least mine has a small screened hole, (about 10mm), right close to the fill port.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:44 AM   #3

Not sure of your fill type but all of my previous RV's with a open fill had a screened vent right next to the cap.
If yours has no vent, buy a length of 3/8" tubing and see if you can snake it down the fill to allow air to escape. Or, probably better yet, connect your fill hose to a piece 1/2" hose and snake that into your tank which would allow air to escape from the fill tube. If you can't get tubing down the fill and can access the top of the tank it shouldn't be hard to install a vent.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Not sure of your fill type but all of my previous RV's with a open fill had a screened vent right next to the cap.
x2 Both of my USA built trailers worked the same way. I'm not sure how they work is Australia.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #5

I see you are from Australia, and I know your campervans are built a little differently than the US models.

Did you buy this camper van new or used? I suspect used. I would look to see if the previous owner installed a shutoff valve on the OEM overflow/vent line. I would start looking in two locations. Under the rig, right where the overflow pipe discharges, and secondly, at the tank.

Second questions, is your fill port a gravity fill or a wet bay style? Jayco Australia might still be or was still using the small vent hole on the gravity fill port, The hose could be pinched. On the inside of the rig, locate the gravity fill port and follow the line (if there is one) back to the tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 jayco hawk ob, water tank