Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Adjustable ball mount question

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to having a truck and trying to get used to towing a few things, but had a question on adjustable ball mounts. I imagine they are useful but there seems to be so many brands and configurations it's hard to say what I might need, or what styles to stay away from. I will be towing my 2000 Jayco Qwest camper, a smaller utility trailer, possibly a larger one and maybe a fishing boat down the road, nothing huge.

I was looking at the following for example and while it seems ok, i'm concerned that the drop/rise is in 2" increments. Is that likely to limit what I can tow or is it really a non issue? Not sure if I should get one that does 1" just in case. I do like that it has the 1-7/8 and 2" balls already so it would match what I need, just not sure if there's better out there for the buck (while realizing we aren't talking about heavy loads or big bucks here).

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nt/A-p8683021e

Any thoughts? I drive a 2018 GMC Sierra SLE stock, so not lifted or anything.

Thank you
Kravan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

The item you show seems a bit overkill. I had an '02 GMC, stock like yours, and the 2" drop was perfect. It's available at Wal-Mart.

Level your trailer(s) and measure your coupler height at the top. Measure the bottom edge of your truck's receiver height. If they are similar, a 2" offset will be close. Your link to the $90 hitch does, however, offer more adjustment and both popular ball sizes.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Forgot to mention I already have a hitch with 2" drop and it seemed to be a bit high still. It's likely fine but do plan to do what you suggested when I get it back from getting some maintenance done. My smaller utility trailer has the smaller ball so this would be for convenience.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Something to consider is a cushioned adjustable ball receiver. I have 2, one 4” drop and one 2 3/4 drop both rated for 14K and run a 2” ball rated at 12K. Yeah. Weight ratings are overkill but I worked too hard for my money to risk it I’m going cheap. Even towing with the crew cab long bed Dually, you can feel the difference that the cushion receiver provides

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...all/AMSC4.html
Old 06-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Something to consider is a cushioned adjustable ball receiver. I have 2, one 4” drop and one 2 3/4 drop both rated for 14K and run a 2” ball rated at 12K. Yeah. Weight ratings are overkill but I worked too hard for my money to risk it I’m going cheap. Even towing with the crew cab long bed Dually, you can feel the difference that the cushion receiver provides

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...all/AMSC4.html
I never knew that existed, can't say i've seen any in local stores. I'll check into it but might be an online order. I'll do the proper measurements when I get my pop up back and confirm the drop I need.

Thanks