Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Anyone add aftermarket trailer brakes to their PUP

We bought a 2 y/o Jay Series 1007 back in 2009. We're heading into our last, maybe next to last, summer with our TV, a Chrysler T&C minivan with 150,000 miles.

Since our 1007 didn't come with trailer brakes, I bought the dealer's line that "hey, if it needed them, Jayco would've included them." The more I read, especially since the US graduates more lawyers than engineers and doctors, the more nervous I get.

We camp in PA and OH. As I read it, I'm technically legal in OH since OH law only requires trailer brakes if the empty weight is more than 2,000 pounds. Ours empty is around 1,800 pounds. In PA, it appears trailer brakes are not required if the trailer weighs less than 40% of the TV weight. On that, I'm damn close.

Either way, I more about what's safe and morally right than what's legally allowed.

Am I the only Jayco PUP owner contemplating adding my own trailer brakes, or is that commonplace?

At this point, while I wouldn't mind putting money into brakes for the PUP itself, I don't want to spend any more on the aging TV. I'm assuming I'd have to buy a brake controller plus have it installed.....no thanks for one season.

Is it time to bit the bullet and buy a new TV?
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

You'd probably be surprised at how cheaply you can buy a brand new trailer axle complete with hubs and brakes.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

Actually, I'm not that worried about the cost of a new axle w/brakes since that will stay with the camper for a lifetime. Our plan is to give this PUP to our kids (oldest now 20) when we're ready for something bigger, our "retirement camper".

Short run, I just hate the idea of buying and installing (having a mechanic install) a brake controller in my TV which already has 150,000 miles and has 1-2 summers and 3-4short trips left in it. I should've done this back in 2009 when the TV had 80,000 miles.....or, in reality, given what I know now, I should've bought the 14' PUP the dealer had and upgraded my TV then.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

You could I stall the brake controller yourself, kind of a pain working under the dash. You could convince your significant other to get you retirement Tow Vehicle now. Many new trucks have the brake controller built into the dash.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

A brake controller that you install is not a permanent part of the vehicle. It can easily be removed and put into a replacement TV any time you need it. If you give the PUP to your kids, you take out the controller and give that to them as well. So this is definitely not a waste of money. Etrailer.com has videos on how to put them in and properly wire them.

I bought a Prodigy 2 in 2005. I have used it in a '95 Suburban, a 2003 Trailblazer, and its now mounted in my 2008 Sierra. And Prodigy's have a lifetime warranty.

A Prodigy P2 is about $125, a P3 is about $150.

I'm puzzled at your dealer's comment, "hey, if it needed them, Jayco would've included them." Both electric and hydraulic surge brakes are an option. BTW, never get hydraulic surge brakes if you have a choice. I had them on 2 PUPs and frankly they sucked rocks.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

With my Titan I had to add a brake controller below the steering colum, was a pain. I seem to kick it getting in and out till I eventually got used to it. Ford's come with a brake contoller built into the dash, Cleaner and works better. I'm not say you should do this or any brand is better, just glad I did.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #7

Installing a brake controller is a lot easier than it used to be. It's really just a matter of running wires and tying them together.

I can't say enough good things about the Tekonsha P3 that I put in my dually. I don't think I've touched it since my first trip with it, and that covers three different trailers.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

So vehicles are prewired for break controllers. If so it is just a plug and play thing. Call your vehicle manufacture with your vin number and ask. Sometimes you can get the info from a Google search.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
So vehicles are prewired for break controllers. If so it is just a plug and play thing. Call your vehicle manufacture with your vin number and ask. Sometimes you can get the info from a Google search.
This is often true for trucks and large SUVs. Not so much for mini-vans.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnaha.Mansion View Post
With my Titan I had to add a brake controller below the steering colum, was a pain. I seem to kick it getting in and out till I eventually got used to it. Ford's come with a brake contoller built into the dash, Cleaner and works better. I'm not say you should do this or any brand is better, just glad I did.

I found the same thing, so I installed my Tek on my top of my dash using industrial Velcro.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
This is often true for trucks and large SUVs. Not so much for mini-vans.

Very true, but it is always worth asking, verses reinventing the wheel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
BTW, never get hydraulic surge brakes if you have a choice. I had them on 2 PUPs and frankly they sucked rocks.
x2

I couldn't agree more with this statement. My pup came with surge brakes and I hate them. Everytime I want to back up I need to get out of the truck and flip a lever on the hitch to lock out the brakes. Forgetting to do this could cause major damage to the brake system. I also don't like that I don't have control over the brakes.

Get electric brakes, they are so much better.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote