Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

Awning Fix

The awning bag on our trailer is starting to rip at both ends. Before we got it, it sat outside exposed to snow, sun and rain without being used for 14+ years. When we first took it out last year it worked, but its not great. I was thinking about removing the awning bag and using a plain tarp to make an awning.

My problem is attaching the tarp itself to the top of the trailer. Im not sure of what to use to get the job done. I've been looking at the Camco Party Light Holders that can be picked up in Walmart, etc. I figure if they fit into the existing C-channel without falling out, I can then hook the tarp to the hooks, and then use the original poles.

I realize that there will be a small gap between the trailer and the tarp, but its better than nothing at this point.

Anyone ever use these clips for this purpose? Do they work? Anyone have any other ideas?
firewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

I just purchased a 2000 jayco eagle 12lso pop up and the awning bag was ripping on it. i took it to a local amish tarp shop to have them re-sew it. cost 15.00.
If you don't live near amish country they call around to truck cap, boat cap/tarp shops, etc... anyone who makes custom covers for cars/trucks/boats should be able to re-sew the bag.

if the bag is just flat falling apart i would see how much they would charge to make a new bag.
wolderiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

When ours started to go on our Starcraft Galaxy, we took it to a boat canvas shop, and they resewed ALL of the seams for us, and added reinforcement where it was needed. Don't recall how much it was, but I do know that it was less than 100.00 dollars.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

I bought a used trailer and the lip on the awning bag had come unsewed. I took it to the local shoe repair. It was about $90, but way cheaper than buying a new one. It works great now.
Grammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

My dad had a new cover made for his. I think he got it done for less than $100. Look for a custom tent shop in your area.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

We had ours fixed after 9 yrs at a local upholstery shop. That did an amazing job. Looked like it came with the unit.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote