Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Back in action!

After selling our 2000 Designer 2730W motorhome and taking last year off, my family is back in (camping) action this year! Some may say we've "stepped down" from the MH to our "new-to-us" 1996 Eagle 10UD pop-up, but I don't think so. We're still in the Jayco family, and this one suits our needs so nicely. We loved the MH, to be sure, but found that for our active bunch (4 kids ranging in age from 16 to 6), it just didn't work because once we were parked at a CG, unless we had friends come along with a separate car, we were stuck in one place and couldn't do any sightseeing outside of said CG!

We did enjoy two great years with it, though, and last I heard the Designer's new owners were loving it as much as we did, maybe more.

So how did we end up with a pop-up?? We saw it on Craigslist about 40 minutes from home in Selvin, Ind. And as good fortune would have it, the seller is acquainted with my uncle, who owns a nearby ATV and tire shop, so there was an instant connection there. From there, the deal was easily made.

Our Eagle is a sharp little guy, clean and well-maintained ... it's got some hail bumps but that is OK, it doesn't leak at all ... it's been a "local" rig all its life, sold new 40 miles from us in Evansville, Ind. and now it's here in the "BBQ Capital of the World," Owensboro, Ky. I posted some pictures in an album and will get more as soon as we can get the snow and slush of the last few days behind us, warm up to March-like temperatures and I can open it up!

I will say it's not a fancy model, no roof air or anything, but once I can get into it and start "molding it in our image," we'll get it gussied up and equipped for our needs. Shouldn't be too tough to do!

Happy camping, everyone!!
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #2

It will almost be a whole new experience. We went from a motorhome to our 17Z and loved it. Be prepared for people to be friendlier to you in the popup. I don't know why that is but we noticed it right away.

Also your maintenance chores will be considerably less! Smaller and simpler is great.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
It will almost be a whole new experience. We went from a motorhome to our 17Z and loved it. Be prepared for people to be friendlier to you in the popup. I don't know why that is but we noticed it right away.

Also your maintenance chores will be considerably less! Smaller and simpler is great.
Well, all of that will be JUST FINE with me!!! I'm kind of a "people person," so the friendlier the better!

I'm already finding that there's little to mess with as far as maintenance goes, which is a VERY welcome change from the MH. It isn't that it was hard to keep up, there was just a LOT to keep up with.

(I had to look up the 17Z because it wasn't familiar to me, and found a video on one ... that's a pretty sweet rig you've got there!)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Thought I would upload a few pictures to show you what I have to work with ... not too bad for its age, if I do say so myself:

http://s1307.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Jayco%2010UD
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Wow, that is 16 years old? Looks brand new, in & out. You guys did well. Have the tires been replaced? That would be something you might look at. Our first RV was a Rockwood popup and we loved it. Easy to maintain & easy to tow. Don't put it away wet, though. Happy Camping from Southern Indiana. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

Terry, it is indeed, but it is amazingly solid for its age. I still need to really clean it well (that's tomorrow's project, supposed to be in the low 60s tomorrow!!), but that's no biggie. My kids are already begging to go camping ... and it's no secret that I'd go in a heartbeat if it were warmer outside!

The tires have been replaced at least once, but I plan to get new ones at some point this year, before the end of the year for sure. I'll keep one as a spare because the spare is original (a Dico ST ... which I don't think are available nowadays) and it is toast. I think they're 7 years old, and that's the recommendation on when to replace, at least as I understand it. They look good, but I don't trust looks alone.

Thanks --- and Happy Camping to you, too!!! :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That's really an exception rig for its age.
Simple is so much better. More time to enjoy and less to maintain.

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
That's really an exception rig for its age.
Simple is so much better. More time to enjoy and less to maintain.

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Doug
Thanks! And I fully agree ... I LOVE simple.