Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

Baja 14f

Howdy everyone -

First post here. I'm not a Jayco owner yet, but I'm in the market for a Baja 14f. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular trailer? Any thoughts about the good and the bad?

Looking for any feedback ya'll have.

Thanks!!

- Steve
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #2

Hi Steve and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! We owned a pop-up years ago and loved that we could pull it with our mini-van. The 14f would be too heavy for a mini-van though. But, with that model pop up and a good tv, it looks like you are heading for some real fun! What play things would you be hauling? Although we haven't owned a Baja 14F, you can't go wrong with a Jayco product. The two year warranty is one of the best warranties out there for new tt's. Happy shopping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

No minivan's here, so I'm ready to go! I'll be pulling mostly with an F250, but my wife's 4Runner would be up to the task as well if necessary.

I don't have any big toys (yet) that I will be using the deck for, but we usually go camping at the lake so that we can use the boat (not sure how I'll be getting both trailers there yet, but I digress). I really like the 14f because it is built heavier duty than basically all other pop-ups out there. It's tandem axle with brakes on all four wheels, 7500lbs GVWR (almost twice as much as the dry weight!!), and the big platform up front will make it very easy to pack for any trip we take. I also really like the king size beds on both sides, and the wife likes the bathroom/shower.

The one problem I'm having so far is that I can't find a dealer close by that has one of these in stock. I like to look several times before I buy, but that's difficult when the trailer isn't in town. I did finally find one in Houston (I'm in Austin), but it will be a while before we can make it over there. I'm in no huge rush, but I do have a camping trip coming up in September that sure would be more fun if I was sleeping in a trailer, and not in a tent!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

When we upgraded from a tent to a pop-up, I was in 7th Heaven. Before that, I remember watching folks drive into the campground, "pop-up" and starting dinner while our family of four was still putting the food tent up! LOL Hope a can find the one you want before Sept!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

Im just lookin at jayco website, for the money you are wanting to put into a pop up, you could buy an entry Travel Trailer. Im just sayin.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #6

I agree on the money thing... it's a LOT of money (probably too much) for a pop-up, but there are a lot of reasons that I'd rather have a pop-up (and this one in particular).

First is the physical size of the trailer when it is not in use. This is a long pop-up, but it's also short (height), so I can put it in a garage. It also makes pulling easier as it is lighter, and there is less wind resistance.

Second is the sleeping arrangements. What full size travel trailer has two king size beds? This would be used mostly for weekend (or week long) camping at the lake. We'll be doing more sleeping in the trailer than anything else.

Third, this particular pop-up is built much heavier duty than an entry level TT. A lot of full size trailers are within 1,000lbs of their GVWR just by their dry weight. The front deck will make packing for the lake extremely easy (the bed of the truck will no longer be overflowing), and one of these days when we want to take a longer trip, we can throw a four wheeler or two on there to take with us.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #7

No other input???
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #8

Steve,

Before you buy an expensive pop-up, ask yourself if the air conditioner can keep the trailer cool in Texas' hot, hot summers. My wife and I bought a Jayco pop-up in 2006 that we used only one summer before trading up to a Jayco travel trailer (with a slide). We found that we could not keep the pop-up cool even with tarps (with a silver surface facing upward) draped over the sleeping areas. We also did not like the lack of privacy--during cooler weather when the A/C was not running we could hear the private conversations of nearby campers so we assume they could hear our conversations as well. Finally, we did not like the fact that we could not stop along the highway and access the pop-up at lunch time or when we needed a bathroom break.

We did like the fact that we could store the pop-up in our garage. The travel trailer we subsequently bought is costing us about $60 per month for outdoor but fenced and guarded storage.

If you have not had a pop-up before, you might want to rent one and try it out before plunking down a fairly big chunk of money.

If you have not spoken with the folks at Crestview in Buda (or their other location in Georgetown) you might want to see if they would be willing to trade the Houston Jayco dealer for the Baja 14f you are wanting. The Crestview folks have been great to work with. When we traded our pop-up for a travel trailer, Crestview gave us a very generous trade-in allowance.

Best of luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

Good input Sam... I appreciated it. We had a popup when I was growing up so I've had some experience, although it was 15 years ago. We're in a tent now, so I'm not too concerned about the fact that it's not exactly private... The A/C will keep the trailer cool at night, which is all I'm really concerned about. During the middle of the day, it won't be ice cold inside, but it will be a few degrees cooler than it is outside.

I still really like the pop-up because of the two king size beds. That, and the weight carrying capacity of this particular model are the main selling points for me.

I have emailed back and forth with the folks at Crestview. We're heading up to Ft. Worth this weekend and will probably stop by the Georgetown location and check out what they have. The only thing they have in stock is the Coleman E3, which I am not interested in, but it will be worth a stop just to check it out.

They can definitely get the Jayco 14f (once I put down a deposit), but they aren't interested in carrying one in inventory at this point... already tried that one.

I'm in no rush right now, and I'll get to Houston eventually, so as long as they still have one, I can check it out then. I will probably still end up buying through Crestview, but until I see it in person, I won't move forward.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
[IN PART].... If you have not had a pop-up before, you might want to rent one and try it out before plunking down a fairly big chunk of money.
Sam's got a good point there, IMO. If you've never owned or camped in a pop-up rent one and go out for a weekend, not just overnight. If you find there's enough room and you're happy then go for it, if on the other hand you find it's a bit tight you might want to have a family mtg and rehash your priorities. We owned a Coleman pop-up for several years and built some great family memories traveling all over the country but in time we decided to up-size. The good part was I sold it for exactly what I paid for it, just lucky I guess.

OK, that's my 2 cents worth....
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #11

I know you said you were looking at the Baja 14F, but I saw at Crestview in Georgetown, TX they has a used 2005 Baja 10Y. Just thought I would let you know. The pictures on their website look pretty nice.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. I plan on going down to Crestview in Buda sometime over the holiday weekend to just look around and see what they have.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
I know you said you were looking at the Baja 14F, but I saw at Crestview in Georgetown, TX they has a used 2005 Baja 10Y. Just thought I would let you know. The pictures on their website look pretty nice.
(Hi Katherine and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!)
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #14

I going to make one out a standard Jayco Pop Up. I picked up a utility trailer with 15 inch wheels and suspension. The steel should be enough to make the front storage area.

Should be a fun winter project.
Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #15

I have seen the Baja's in person. They are awesome popups! If a guy was wanting a popup I cannot imagine buying anything else. As far as the a/c.......It will keep the temps just fine! Happy shopping!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #16

That is the trailer that I really wanted, but the wife said that she would only use it if we got a full size TT. Ended up getting a 32BHDS! I would still really love to have that Baja though.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #17

As long as it says Jayco you can't go wrong! Enjoy camping!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #18

I have drooled over the Baja, while shopping for our PUP a few years back. It's HUGE. The dealers out here don't normally carry new pups, most folks want a TT I guess. I was just happy to get off the ground!
I really love my 1207, it's pretty big too, but the baja is a cadillac, so to speak.

Good luck finding one and once you do-enjoy!!
Coleman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote