Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #1

Question Baja Popup Sink Drain Issue

I bought a 2014 Baja popup toy hauler last fall and am now getting around to figuring everything out on it. One thing I'm having trouble with is getting the sink to drain properly. I put some water in it, and it just sets there - does not drain at all. I finally found a drain on the bottom of the camper that when I open (it just unscrews), all the water in the sink drains out onto the ground.

What am I missing here? Shouldn't it drain into the gray water tank?

I tried it a few times, and the sink will never drain until I open that bottom drain, and then it all comes pouring out, quite quickly too!
GRJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

I'm not familiar with that exact pop up, but we've had two with the similar set up. Since there's no inside shower or toilet plumbed in, I think the sink is intended to drain into a jug or bucket from the outlet you describe. It has a fresh water tank, but no gray or black tank, unless I'm missing something.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #3

Hi, and thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned in my post that it does have a gray water tank - and a shower. The shower drains into the gray water tank, no problems.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

That's interesting, thanks for the info on that. They must have decided to leave the sink out of the loop, perhaps because of the tank capacity(?). We didn't have a wet bath or tanks until our third pop up. I learn something every day here!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

My 2013 Jayco 1206 did not have a shower/toilet, and did not have a gray tank. I believe when they do have that feature, the gray tank is just for the shower as it is on the other end of the trailer. My sink drained out a hose connection on the side of the trailer. I had to connect it using a 6' garden hose (I bought a gray one for this purpose) to a external holding tank on wheels.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #6

OK, thanks, good to know!. In this RV, the sink is almost right next to the shower and the drain in the bottom is right next to the gray tank - I never thought that it would NOT drain into there...learn something new every day I guess!
Old 03-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #7

I'm unfamiliar with your unit, but if you look under the sink and see a P-trap, then it's supposed to drain into the gray tank. No P-trap and it's not.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Oh, interesting - there is a P-Trap under the sink, which would make sense if it's draining into a tank.

Also the manual says "Water from the sinks and shower flow into the gray water (or waste water) holding tank."

I have followed the drain hose from the sink as far as I can but can't see where it ends up. Really hoping I don't have to either tear it apart or take it to a dealer.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRJoe View Post
Also the manual says "Water from the sinks and shower flow into the gray water (or waste water) holding tank."
I would not put too much stock in the manuals. They are generic and not written for just your popup. There is a lot in there that is geared toward a travel trailer that has nothing to do with your popup.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Right! The manual has been either wrong, misleading, or has missing information in a few different areas. Something they can definitely improve on.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #11

Contact Jayco with your vin number and ask for the plumbing diagram.

This will tell you exactly how it left the plant. However the previous owner, might have modified it to drain like a typical PU sink.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:31 PM   #12

Most pup's don't have a grey water tank or a black water tank either. The ones that have a so called wet bath have a cassette toilet (fancy high capacity port-a-pottie and a grey water drain. Most have a separate drain for the shower and the sink. Those can be tied together with a Y. You still need a vent on the hose to help them drain quick. There are many fixes on the internet about this.

Does anyone actually read this stuff down here?
https://www.popupportal.com/threads/...-shower.76527/
FishNFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:23 AM   #13

Thanks! That sounds exactly like what I have. I'll look around to see if I can find more information on connecting them. Part of my concern was just that it was not working they way it's supposed to. From the looks of it, it probably is.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #14

Sink Drain

My 2010 Baja sink only drains directly outside. The grey water tank is for the shower only. I just put a 5 gallon bucke under the sink drain and deal with it that way.
Red Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #15

Thanks, looks like that's probably what I'll be doing as well, at least in the short term. Hoping to maybe get it draining into the gray tank at some point in the future if it's not too much work.