Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #1

Battery

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and new to camping. I just purchased a used 1207 popup. Rookie questions I'm sure. When the camper is folded down and not in use, Should the battery be disconnected? If I don't will the converter pull the battery down?
Western NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. As you suspect, the battery should be disconnected when the trailer is not in use. Control systems for the refrigerator, water heater, and propane detector would run down the battery otherwise. Be sure to hook the battery back up before towing the trailer again.

You could install a battery disconnect switch, if you want, which makes disconnecting the battery somewhat more convenient.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn but looking forward to it.
Western NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #4

Or you can simply pull out the inline fuse
Old 09-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

Do you use the battery?

Be bought a used 1007 back in 2009 and the battery was DOA.

We only go to campgrounds with electric (preferably with electric and water), so we haven't replaced the battery. I've had some tell me we need one, but the folks at Jayco say we don't need one.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #6

[QUOTE=raising4daughters;343582]Be bought a used 1007 back in 2009 and the battery was DOA.

We only go to campgrounds with electric (preferably with electric and water), so we haven't replaced the battery. I've had some tell me we need one, but the folks at Jayco say we don't need one.[/QUOTE

So how do you keep the refrigerator cooling and all of detectors operational when you are traveling to the campground? Its my understanding that all components of the unit except the your stove top require dc power.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
Be bought a used 1007 back in 2009 and the battery was DOA.

We only go to campgrounds with electric (preferably with electric and water), so we haven't replaced the battery. I've had some tell me we need one, but the folks at Jayco say we don't need one.
As Ela1948 stated, you need the battery to run your refrigerator (even on propane) and also to power your emergency brakes should your trailer become detached from the tow vehicle.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post

So how do you keep the refrigerator cooling and all of detectors operational when you are traveling to the campground? Its my understanding that all components of the unit except the your stove top require dc power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
As Ela1948 stated, you need the battery to run your refrigerator (even on propane) and also to power your emergency brakes should your trailer become detached from the tow vehicle.
Most pop-ups do not have electronic controls for the appliances (refrigerator, water heater, etc). About the only thing on a pop-up has that will use DC power while traveling is the CO/Propane detector and maybe the radio if it has one. And as long as you are connected to the TV all 12V systems will be powered. The only real need for the battery would be to power the brakes in the event the trailer were to get separated from the TV. Not all pop-ups have brakes.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

Why no battery follow-up

Good questions above on why we've opted for no battery (and I mean this to be helpful to the OP, not hijack the thread).

We do not have trailer brakes and, therefore, do not need a battery for that purpose. We are, however, contemplating adding trailer brakes (see another thread I started) and I realize that step could necessitate replacing the original battery.

In terms of keeping the refrigerator running when driving, we have a 3-way refrigerator. I simply turn it from 110V to 12V and, I believe, the car battery charges the refrigerator. If that's not correct, I'm all ears, but that's how it was explained to me. If the car battery is NOT running the refrigerator as I assume, I'd then just switch over to propane operation. I understand many do this while driving.

Lastly, I'm not THAT concerned about the refrig not running while driving. For a variety of reasons, we camp within a 2-3 hour radius of home. We plug in and load the refrig a day or two before leaving and unplug from 110V just as we're leaving. The 2-3 hour trip with the refrig sealed shut doesn't allow the temperatures to rise too much.

I'd switch to propane or switch to buying our refrigerable goods at our destination before dropping $75-$100 for another battery if I learn that a separate battery is required to run the refrig while driving.

But, for us, this all may be moot if I add trailer brakes.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
Good questions above on why we've opted for no battery (and I mean this to be helpful to the OP, not hijack the thread).

We do not have trailer brakes and, therefore, do not need a battery for that purpose. We are, however, contemplating adding trailer brakes (see another thread I started) and I realize that step could necessitate replacing the original battery.

In terms of keeping the refrigerator running when driving, we have a 3-way refrigerator. I simply turn it from 110V to 12V and, I believe, the car battery charges the refrigerator. If that's not correct, I'm all ears, but that's how it was explained to me. If the car battery is NOT running the refrigerator as I assume, I'd then just switch over to propane operation. I understand many do this while driving.

Lastly, I'm not THAT concerned about the refrig not running while driving. For a variety of reasons, we camp within a 2-3 hour radius of home. We plug in and load the refrig a day or two before leaving and unplug from 110V just as we're leaving. The 2-3 hour trip with the refrig sealed shut doesn't allow the temperatures to rise too much.

I'd switch to propane or switch to buying our refrigerable goods at our destination before dropping $75-$100 for another battery if I learn that a separate battery is required to run the refrig while driving.

But, for us, this all may be moot if I add trailer brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Most pop-ups do not have electronic controls for the appliances (refrigerator, water heater, etc). About the only thing on a pop-up has that will use DC power while traveling is the CO/Propane detector and maybe the radio if it has one. And as long as you are connected to the TV all 12V systems will be powered. The only real need for the battery would be to power the brakes in the event the trailer were to get separated from the TV. Not all pop-ups have brakes.
See highlighted.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Thanks

Thanks Chuck. Sounds like I'm good unless I add brakes.