Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

battery

I bought a used pop-up and want to charge the battery. My charger has a setting for either standard battery or "deep-cycle". Does anybody know what a "deep-cycle" batery looks like or what makes it different from standard? Is the battery in a pop-up commonly a deep-cycle or standard?

Also, the battery is housed in a plastic case that doesn't look like any rain could get into it and it's been dry here lately. But, when I opened up the case, there was about three inches of water in it. Is there any possible reason that the base of a battery would need to set in a pool of water?

Briar32 in Kentucky
briar32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #2

Your plastic battery box probably has vent holes within its lid. These vent holes are letting rain in. As a suggestion, block these air vent holes with silicone, gorilla tape or construction glue. To drain the water, simply drill 1/8" size holes in the bottom of your battery box. re: 1 small hole in each corner. Works for me.

Please provide us the exact name on your existing battery. Some are deep cycle (used in RVs / Boats) and others are normal vehicle batteries. If you provide us the exact name and code of your existing battery, we can cross-reference it using google.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Briar32! We have a couple of holes drilled out on the bottom of our plastic battery case. Congrats on your "new" pop-up!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
Please provide us the exact name on your existing battery. Some are deep cycle (used in RVs / Boats) and others are normal vehicle batteries. If you provide us the exact name and code of your existing battery, we can cross-reference it using google.
Spike: The battery is made by American Sales & Service of Louisville. The number on the back is: TA4APF 2600. There is also a sticker on top that says G-O. Thanks, Briar.
briar32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Usually all campers batteries are deep cycle.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #6

A 12V battery within a trailer "should be" Deep Cycle. However... When a factory battery is replaced, some folks install the less costly normal "non-deep cycle" battery. No worries... A non-deep cycle battery will work. It simply won't last as long (as a deep cycle).

I'm unable to cross reference "TA4APF 2600" with a google search. Before connecting a battery charger, I would call American Sales & Service of Louisville or drop them an email. Simply provide the battery model number and ask them if this specific model is deep cycle. For contact details, surf:

http://americansalesandserviceky.com...isville-ky.htm
http://americansalesandserviceky.com...ery-repair.htm

Note: Selecting the incorrect setting on a battery charge can seriously damage a charger or the battery. I would call or email them - before connecting.

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar32 View Post
I bought a used pop-up and want to charge the battery. My charger has a setting for either standard battery or "deep-cycle". Does anybody know what a "deep-cycle" batery looks like or what makes it different from standard? Is the battery in a pop-up commonly a deep-cycle or standard?........snip
The majority of RV manufactures ship there new TT's, FW's, PUP's, etc., without batteries to the RV dealerships. The RV dealerships supply/install a standard 12V (or two 6V) Marine/RV battery which isn't considered a true deep cycle battery. There is an additional cost for a true deep cycle battery if a customer wants one in lieu of a Marine/RV battery.

A standard 12V Marine/RV battery will weigh approximately 40lbs, where a true 12V deep cycle battery will weigh 85lbs.. A deep cycle battery will also have a notable AMP capacity increase as well.

As mentioned, it's possible that your used PUP could have a true deep cycle battery if it was upgraded.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

It should say on the battery case what type of battery it is without having to try to cross numbers with Google and all that stuff.

There are three types of batteries.

Automotive Starting Batteries - Just what it says. Built for short heavy discharge, (engine starting) and quick recharge via austomotive regulator. They are not suitable for any deep cycle application.

Dual Purpose/Marine Starting Batteries - These have a little heavier plates and will hold up reasonably well to light "deep cycle" type use, lights, stereo, water pump, etc. They are basically starting batteries with a little heavier plates and not suited for continued deep discharging.

Deep Cycle - RV/Trailer batteries, house batteries for marine use, and any application where there is a long, slow discharge cycle and maintained by a charging device such as a charger or converter.

There is a lot of mis-information on the Internet about Deep Cycle batteries. They come in sizes ranging from a Group 24 to the big 8D batteries used in marine applications. A battery doesn't have to weigh 100 lbs to be a deep cycle. If it says deep cycle on the case, that's what it is and it's intended to be discharged down to 50% max and recharged. They are rated by the number of charge/discharge cycle they are usually good for, but they are still deep cycle. The only difference is in amp/hr capacity and that is determined by the construction and size of the plates. If your battery was installed by a dealer, it's going to be a deep cycle. The starting batteries would only be used as start batteries for motorhomes. If your battery case references CCA(COld Cranking Amps) it's more than likely a starting battery. Deep Cycle batteries are usually rated by Reserve Capacity.

Reserve capacity is the number of minutes a battery can maintain a useful voltage under a 25 ampere discharge. The higher the minute rating, the greater the battery's ability to run lights, pumps, inverters, and electronics for a longer period before recharging is necessary. The 25 Amp. Reserve Capacity Rating is more realistic than Amp-Hour or CCA as a measurement of capacity for deep cycle service. Batteries promoted on their high Cold Cranking Ratings are easy and inexpensive to build. The market is flooded with them, however their Reserve Capacity, Cycle Life (the number of discharges and charges the battery can deliver) and Service life are poor. Reserve Capacity is difficult and costly to engineer into a battery and requires higher quality cell materials.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
snip......If your battery was installed by a dealer, it's going to be a deep cycle......snip
Bob,

As I mentioned in my post, many of the batteries that I have seen put in TT's, HTT's, PUP's, etc., by RV dealers are what you defined as "Dual Purpose/Marine Starting Batteries ", or a Marine/RV battery as I referenced in my post (couple area RV dealerships and TT's that I have worked on). For example, I have seen a lot of 12V DEKA DP24 Marine Master batteries installed which is a dual purpose starting/deep cycle service battery. I'm not familiar with the house batteries in MH's, so they may be handled differently.

"Deep Cycle" batteries as you define them (True Deep Cycle in my post), I was told by three different dealerships that it was considered an upgrade ($$) when I was shopping for a new TT a short time ago..., so you have my curiosity peaked. I have some business with some RV dealerships over the next few weeks so I may take a peak to see what they are installing..... I may learn something here.

I just seem to run across numerous posts of folks upgrading to Deep Cycle batteries over their original Dual Purpose/Marine Starting Batteries.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

My 2011 Jayco didn't have a deep cycle battery installed, but rather a Marine battery. I added a second one soon after buying the TT, but when they crap out, I'm going for true deep cycle golf cart batteries. Longer life, greater capacity than Marine batteries.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote