Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Battery and Canvas question

Just purchased a 1993 Jayco Cardinal SD p/u. First camper purchase. I bought it fully aware that the battery was dead and needed to be replaced. Does anyone recommend a particular battery?

A few small marble sized holes in the canvas exist (its in great shape otherwise). Currently they are patched with Gorilla tape on each side. The canvas is white and the tape is black, so I planned on using some white Gorilla tape. Does anyone recommend a better and not t0o expensive fix that would work better?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT-Do I HAVE to replace the battery before I use it at a campground or can I just plug it in?
Futrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrman View Post
Just purchased a 1993 Jayco Cardinal SD p/u. First camper purchase. I bought it fully aware that the battery was dead and needed to be replaced. Does anyone recommend a particular battery?

A few small marble sized holes in the canvas exist (its in great shape otherwise). Currently they are patched with Gorilla tape on each side. The canvas is white and the tape is black, so I planned on using some white Gorilla tape. Does anyone recommend a better and not t0o expensive fix that would work better?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT-Do I HAVE to replace the battery before I use it at a campground or can I just plug it in?
You can just plug in. Try it at home first. You may need to also buy the $10-$12 pigtail to take what is probably a triangular 3-prong 30 amp plug down to a 15 amp plug (see Ebay pic) so you CAN plug it in at home.

The battery is for those campgrounds where you don't have electricity available.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks. It has a 15 amp standard plug built in. It came with a pigtail that allows it to be plugged into a 30 amp, Im guessing some campgrounds may only have 30 amp.
Happy Times
Futrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #4

if the trailer has electric brakes, it should have a good battery to be towed. if there are no brakes, you don't need the battery, but some things like the fridge might not work until it's plugged into shore power.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

You can buy clear Gorilla tape that is meant for canopy repairs. I found it at Home Depot or Lowes. Might work OK for you.

The previous owner of mine had patched a couple holes using adhesive canvas repair swatches. Most of them were loose or started falling off by the end of last year. That and the severe degradation of the stitching that kept shearing led me to replace the whole canvas this month.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

I bought a patch kit that had small pieces of canvas and a glue tube, Worked great for several years. Had to re-glue it a couple times. Put the patches on the inside so were not so obvious.

On the battery. Nice to have as it allows you to use lights and propane furnace if you have one when power goes out or you camp where there is no electricity to plug into.

Lots of suggestions on brands and sizes and types. Basic questions include how often and long you will camp without AC.

Don't over look that you must have a battery (law) if you have electric brakes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, canvas