Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Battery replacement

OK, for my next newbie question, What sort of battery do you all use and how do you charge it when back home? I would like to replace mine soon. We have hook ups at the next 2 camp sites, but after that it will just be water at the site and I want to be able to turn on the lights.
Jetsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

Before next spring (2018) ends, I hope to have changed out my current new dealer supplied group 24 hybrid battery, for a pair of golf cart batteries. When we leave for Utah, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Black Hills, I want a little more DC juice.

At home, I just keep my trailer plugged into a 30 amp pedestal that I installed.

On the road, where allowed, I'll hook up one of my Honda 2K generators.
Where available, I will hook up to a 30 amp pedestal to recharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsers View Post
OK, for my next newbie question, What sort of battery do you all use and how do you charge it when back home? I would like to replace mine soon. We have hook ups at the next 2 camp sites, but after that it will just be water at the site and I want to be able to turn on the lights.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

What kind of unit do you have? We have a TT and just use an adapter and heavy duty extension cord to plug the 30amp trailer cord into a 15amp outlet. The trailer's converter keeps the trailer's two, 12v batteries (group 24) fully charged.

If you have LED lights and that's all you need the battery for (you're not using a water pump, a fridge or water heater on propane, a radio, etc.) the battery will be good for a few days. Beware that there are also draws on the battery you can't switch off ('parasitic' draws).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

we have a jay series 2008 10 footer. When not plugged in none of the lights turn on, so I am thinking that the battery is dead already. Unless there is a switch I don't know about. It looks to just be a marine batter in the box.
All I want is to be able to turn the lights on, while at that camp spot. I don't need to run anything that isn't propane otherwise.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Unless there is a switch I don't know about. It looks to just be a marine batter in the box.
Look on the front of your converter/ charger. There may be a switch to change from shore power to just battery.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

If the battery is the original, I can almost assure you its dead!! If you rarely ever go without hookups, chances are a group 24 marine deep cycle will be fine for you. If you have intentions of going without hookups in the future, Get the largest deep cycle battery that your battery box will hold. Possibly a group 31 or at least a group 27. If a lot of dry camping is in your future, you might want to consider two 6 volt golf cart batteries if is weight and space allows.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

OK, I am then looking into
24M
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli24mdc

or 27M
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...p-27m/sli27mdc

The price is only about 10$ difference. I don't plan on going without hook ups all that often.

And thank you for all the help so far!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #8

My 16XRB had a Interstate. I personally only buy Walmart Batteries, since I get the best use and the best warranty out of them. They honor a real replacement, and pro-rated as it says on the battery. Not like some other places.
Since the Interstate 2 days after I bought mine (used) was real hot, I opened up the battery box and smelled acid. The charge was boiling it, probably due to low water.
I considered the Walmart Deep Cycle Group 24, for $99, 2 year replacement, but thought I'd bite the bullet and go with the Optima Blue Top of the same.
I have only been on the road for 3 weeks, so I don't have any long term results, but it is working, stays cool, and it's one less thing that is a needle in my brain.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Interstate Marine Batteries

Remove the battery case with battery. Keep in the garage. Put it on the charger once a month for a slow top off.

You should have plenty of power to run your lights all weekend.

I got a power inverter and will hook that up to the battery and hook a shop light up to it with like a 100 watt bulb. You can check on it and see how long that stays lit and calculate your amp hours on an old battery.

Marine batteries die long slow deaths while auto batteries just show up dead one day so you could lose half the battery potential and it might still work good enough for you.

It's good to have a power inverter and a battery around just in case the power goes out...

If you are keeping the camper at home, you already have a trickle charger installed in your camper. If should switch over to trickle charge when your battery is full. So leaving the shore power connected with the battery installed works well. I stored mine at a lot so I pulled the battery mainly so it wouldn't walk off. If I trusted my fellow man and was using the camper on and off during the summer just hooking it up when I prepped the camper would charge the battery fully. I wouldn't leave it installed all winter....
JC_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post
My 16XRB had a Interstate. I personally only buy Walmart Batteries, since I get the best use and the best warranty out of them. They honor a real replacement, and pro-rated as it says on the battery. Not like some other places.
Since the Interstate 2 days after I bought mine (used) was real hot, I opened up the battery box and smelled acid. The charge was boiling it, probably due to low water.
I considered the Walmart Deep Cycle Group 24, for $99, 2 year replacement, but thought I'd bite the bullet and go with the Optima Blue Top of the same.
I have only been on the road for 3 weeks, so I don't have any long term results, but it is working, stays cool, and it's one less thing that is a needle in my brain.
In my experience the Walmart warranty is pretty good but not good enough to justify carrying around a leaky battery to claim the warranty.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
OK, I am then looking into
24M
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli24mdc

or 27M
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...p-27m/sli27mdc

The price is only about 10$ difference. I don't plan on going without hook ups all that often.

And thank you for all the help so far!
Those are basically the same battery, get the 27M as it has more amp hours (longer run time).
Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_MO View Post
In my experience the Walmart warranty is pretty good but not good enough to justify carrying around a leaky battery to claim the warranty.
By leaky, you mean a non-sealed? That is the reason I went with the Optima. But at twice the price...
As for it leaking due to just towing, the same, larger, walmart batteries never leaked in my 27ft Pachanga, and I was in rough water most of the time....doing 70 , but still they never leaked. Also they were on a $15 Harbor Freight charger that kept them tip top....I don't spend money on Battery Tender's since you can get the same thing for much cheaper.

First Optima I have bitten the bullet on...
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

For what all they do, a new battery is a pretty cheap investment. For little more than a couple tanks of gas, a powerful new battery will extend your boondocking outing, power your jacks, lights, fridge brain, etc.

Get the best most powerful [AH rating] deep cycle that will fit on your battery tray. This is not where you want to scrimp.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote