Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

Bed Bows/Shepherd's hook

I tried to order a shepherd's hook for the rear bunk (Queen) of our 'new' 2000 Jayco Eagle 12SO tent trailer. The local Jayco dealer just called saying it would be around $75 plus shipping, which doubled it to a whooping $150.

Anyone else carry these things or has anyone had any luck fabricating one for use?

With the other work this trailer needs to be camp-worthy, I'm finding it hard to justify $150 for a couple aluminium poles.
fyrftr422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #2

If you have one, take it to a sheet metal shop. They should be able to make one up for you fairly cheap.
george taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

X2 on making one up. I was able to cut off the sheppard hook side which was in good shape and adapt to a new aluminum pole from LOWES. Mine got bent in the middle and broke in two when I tried to straighten it out...

Actually I ran over it with the truck but had a different story to tell momabear...hehe

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

both ideas sound better than spending $150 from Jayco for it, robbing me for shipping, same price as the damn bow.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #5

If you don't have one to duplicate is there any other place to get them?
Scioneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

Actually I ran over it with the truck but had a different story to tell momabear...hehe

Roy Ken
How in the hell did you get that big ass truck in the trailer in the 1st place! No No don't tell me I haven't had my 3rd beer yet.
I don't even know your wife and I wouldn't tell her either.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Well I didn't have to go far or pay too much. I was about to try and get one fabricated by a local metal worker, but decided on a whim, to call a couple other Jayco places. Found one an hour away (OWASCO in Oshawa, ON), says they do not have any in stock, but can get them. The cost, about $20, plus shipping. I told him my other quote and he said ridiculous and wouldn't charge more than $20 for shipping whatever it actually came out to be.
Sure enough I picked it up this week, total, less than $50 after taxes, shipping, etc. (and included a $3 cabinet latch I had also ordered)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrftr422 View Post
Well I didn't have to go far or pay too much. I was about to try and get one fabricated by a local metal worker, but decided on a whim, to call a couple other Jayco places. Found one an hour away (OWASCO in Oshawa, ON), says they do not have any in stock, but can get them. The cost, about $20, plus shipping. I told him my other quote and he said ridiculous and wouldn't charge more than $20 for shipping whatever it actually came out to be.
Sure enough I picked it up this week, total, less than $50 after taxes, shipping, etc. (and included a $3 cabinet latch I had also ordered)
anyone I the states?
Scioneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Best bet, start calling Jayco dealers in your area, that's what worked for me
Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #10

Isn't the bow simply made of 1/2" or 3/4" thinwall conduit? The ones in my 23B are and if anything happens just get a stick of thinwall and bend one up. If you don't have a conduit bender get one of your electrician buddies to do it for you.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

You know it's funny. Camper parts online are quite often more than my local dealer. I didn't get my front corner all the way unlatched last weekend and pulled an eyebolt straight and bent my tract and pulley. I fixed it when I bought it as that same corner had gotten broken when the lady went to show it to us. This time it was going to be a lot of beating to get fixed so I called dealer, had one in stock for 20 bucks. I walked around the parts dept. and nothing there was over priced.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote