Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Bed rails question

Hi, I'm a 1st time pop up owner and have just brought my 2012 jayco home. I was setting it up yesterday and had a hard time pulling out the beds, they started out good but halfway out the got stubborn, I checked around inside and out to make sure that nothing was caught on them and couldn't see anything. I guess my question is is this normal? It did come out but took a while and I didn't want to use to much force, is there something I should do to make it easier?
Popupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

When I had my pop up, I would lift up on the bed as I pulled it out or pushed it in in order to remove the weight. I also was generous with the silicone spray. The aluminum tracks would "shed" dust from friction and make the movement a bit sluggish. The silicone helped to minimize that.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I was afraid something might be bent. The other thing was the bar that pushes up at the front end looks different than at the back end. I didn't notice it until we got home. I've attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20190430_154844.jpg   20190430_154919.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

The bent one looks to be a purposeful bend from the factory. I guess it depends on how loose the bar that locks in perpendicular to it fits. I would say if it was a purposeful bend in the bar, that you must have two different size beds at each end of your pop up. Hence, the different bars.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

That trailer was packed up wet at one time and not dried out thoroughly. Lots of mold spots in the tent ends.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

The bed ends are 2 different sizes, so that must be why there's a bend. There is quite a bit of mildew, when we looked at it in their warehouse, the lighting wasn't the greatest, we could tell there was some but it didn't look like a lot until we got it home and set it up outside. The dealer pointed out one spot that was noticeable, it doesn't smell musty or moldy at all. I'm hoping to find a safe way to clean it good. I've seen different people on other forums suggest bass pro shop mildew and stain remover, I just want to be sure it's safe to use. I'm rather disappointed with how everything seems to be going now that we've brought it home.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popupnewbie View Post
The bed ends are 2 different sizes, so that must be why there's a bend. There is quite a bit of mildew, when we looked at it in their warehouse, the lighting wasn't the greatest, we could tell there was some but it didn't look like a lot until we got it home and set it up outside. The dealer pointed out one spot that was noticeable, it doesn't smell musty or moldy at all. I'm hoping to find a safe way to clean it good. I've seen different people on other forums suggest bass pro shop mildew and stain remover, I just want to be sure it's safe to use. I'm rather disappointed with how everything seems to be going now that we've brought it home.

Was this purchased from a dealer? I would bring it back if so. It's unacceptable to purchase something moldy.
erich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

If you are lubricating the bed rails use paraffin wax. It is the best and comes in a block. Using a spray can attract more dirt causing more issues in the end then you want.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich82 View Post
Was this purchased from a dealer? I would bring it back if so. It's unacceptable to purchase something moldy.
It was. We knew that there was one small patch stained but in warehouses lighting we didn't notice the rest, not until we got home and put it up. I love the layout it was just what I was looking for but I'm terribly disappointed with what the ends look like. We'll be calling them.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoChix89 View Post
If you are lubricating the bed rails use paraffin wax. It is the best and comes in a block. Using a spray can attract more dirt causing more issues in the end then you want.
Thanks for the tip!