Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Bent push rod on lift system for 2013 1007

I've had this camper for two months now--I hate the electric lift system with a passion and wish I had a good old-fashioned crank instead. I tried to pop it up tonight to get some stuff out of the camper, and it made some clunking noises, but didn't raise. I removed cushions and covers to get to the lift system, and found that the main push rod is pretty bent. I took a couple of videos of what's going on: https://imgur.com/a/sRMJU42

I'm having a hard time finding good diagrams/info on how the system works and is supposed to look, so I don't really know what went wrong. It looks like there is a site that sells replacement push rods, but I have no idea if it needs to be replaced or if it can be fixed. If it does need to be replaced, I have no idea how to do that (nor what size I would need).

The learning curve on this camper has been steep, to say the least, and I'm looking forward to being able to just enjoy the thing instead of feeling overwhelmed by and resenting it. I would be most grateful for any help or guidance anyone can provide.
popsicleian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately, you'll need to get a good look at the other end. You may get lucky, in that it's come loose because of a broken pin, or it may be more of a repair to whatever holds that end stationary. We've had pop ups before, but never with a power lift, so I'm no expert on that type of lift system.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

I agree with jayflightrisk.
Somehow the far end of the screw is not supported.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

It's a week since. Any new info? I've have never laid eyes on the electric lift system but I doubt it is the source of your issues.

In your video it appear the lift screw is bent? That's not good.

All that slack in the lift cable? That's not good.

Is that grease on the lift spring? I don't think they came that way so I suspect it's had lift issues before.

I am just guessing. The lift encountered binding, at least one lift spring collapsed in the wall. Once that happens the roof isn't going up and down and the power of the motor bent the screw trying to pull that lift block.

I've had my lift system apart in my Jayco a dozen times. It's very light weight in design.
bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #5

@popsicleian I just purchased a 2012 jayco this year and we've been opening it up on our driveway multiple times and finally first day out camping...it didn't lift. Ended up camping in our vehicle.
Turns out, we had the exact same problem. I looked under the seat where the motor and system was and the rod was bent, no longer able to be pushed through.
First of all, double check if you have any outstanding recalls. There's a plate that needs to be replaced that is part of the lift system. However you will also need to have the rod or the whole lift system replaced. I made a huge stink about it with the dealership I bought it from. I believe they should've checked any outstanding recalls before selling it to another customer�� you think that would be a given. Anyways, they met me halfway with the costs so I opted to just get the whole system replaced plus the plate (which is covered by jayco). Replacing the rod would obviously be a cheaper option if nothing else is wrong. I hope this helps.
Popup4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #6

Wowsers, sorry fellas for what you're going through, very frustrating to say the least. Hope jayco can get it all rectified for you.

But, welcome to the site, you guys, and good luck.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote