Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #1

Brake Adjustment

Just bought a 2010 Jayco series 1007, what is the proper way to adjust the brakes. It has a Atwood Hyda Surge brake. Seems when I go to stop, the brakes lock up and it jumps....Thanks
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #2

Try this it seems to make sense and good luck!!! http://www.ehow.com/how_7588777_adju...ge-brakes.html
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Can't get that link to open. But I'm really curious, as I just brought our 1007 back from the dealer this evening for the same dang thing. Is your emergency brake perhaps partially engaged? Last time we used the trailer it I forgot to unhook the safety lanyard before unhitching and moving the car away; I heard a twang and realized I'd popped the emergency brake. Couldn't find any info in the manuals about resetting it. The trailer jumped when stopping all the way home and then to the dealer. The brakes must have been only partially engaged because they wouldn't grab til the last part of the stop. The dealer adjusted the brakes but I don't know how.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
Just bought a 2010 Jayco series 1007, what is the proper way to adjust the brakes. It has a Atwood Hyda Surge brake. Seems when I go to stop, the brakes lock up and it jumps....Thanks
Adjusted brakes, turned wheel till brakes dragged, backed off 5 clicks, took it for a ride, driver side very hot to touch.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Did you discover a solution yet?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
Did you discover a solution yet?
I readjusted brakes, seem to be ok, went on a trip, on the way back, made a turn and the brakes started to act up. Well on the way home I snaped a brake line on the trailer. Dont know what happened. Got another line, installed, Bleed, tested, seems OK..
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Exact same thing here! Dealer adjusted brakes after last trip, we took it out this past weekend and everything was fine, but on the way home after one middling-hard stop, the brakes started grabbing and jumping again, and did so all the rest of the way home. Now I've got to take it back to the dealer again! This has really got me steamed.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

After three trips to the dealer to get this fixed they finally figured it was a contaminated brake shoe -- impregnated with oil or brake fluid so that apparently when the shoe heated up it would grab. Replaced all shoes and drums and finally it's over. No charge for the three trips to the shop and extra work, thank gawd...