Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #1

Bypass HWT failed

You all were so very helpful the other day when I couldn't find my HWT bypass valve. As you showed me, I didn't have one. I bought one and installed it, but a small amount of water is still going into the hw tank and leaking out the open plug outside. We tried switching the valves, but they are interchangeable and the hot water tank continued to get water in it.

Also, with the bypass in pace, no cold water will come out of the faucet. I have no explanation for any of it.

Thanks, folks. I'm so frustrated and hate feeling dumb.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201004_202730243.jpg   PXL_20201004_202737722.jpg  
LauraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Okay, these valves are not really interchangeable, and they are directional. Are you sure that both are installed so that the water is routed away from the HWT on both? If installed backwards, you could be redirecting water back into the HWT on one or both.

You might try the "old fashioned" bypass that requires 3 of the standard on/off valves instead of 2 of the diverter valves.

ETA: Also looking at the design online, did you buy L port or T port valves? The L-hole is 1 in to 2 out, the T hole is intended for 2 in to 1 out. They would have to be installed correctly, and facing in the correct orientation.

If you have L-port valves then one would have the inlet to the cold water in, and the other would have the "inlet" facing the outlet (hot water plumbing) line. Generally the inlet side should be the bottom of the T with an L-port valve, if this is the case with your valves, then both are installed incorrectly. The middle port should be on the cold line and the hot line for each respectively, with the T-arms going one to the tank, and one to the bypass line. Looks like you would need a longer bypass tube, but swapping the supply lines with the bypasses should do the trick.

If you have T port valves, then it is a matter of adjusting the handle to divert the T in the correct direction, but in this case the bypass should be attached to the center port (which yours is).

Easy way to tell which you have, if the valve only turns 90 degrees, it is an L-port. A T-port valve should turn a full 360 degrees allowing any port to divert to any other, or to combine all 3.

If you are a visual learner, watch this video that explains the operation of both T and L valves.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

This is what you want
Attached Thumbnails
A187864A-5A93-48B1-AA1B-6C8DDA398614.jpg  
Old 10-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

I thought I had it on correctly but now I may need to triple check. Naturally, it's pouring and the popup is closed. We have an L, to answer your question. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your advice and that video.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

One other thought for winterizing. My '08 had a water filter mounted under the sink as a standard feature (but then it also had HWT bypass valves, so...) There was also a bypass hose provided for the filter. Not sure what year either became standard, yours is only 2 years older.

If your filter is in place, make sure it is bypassed before winterizing. You do not want to try to run antifreeze through the filter, and it may not blow out properly if you are using that method.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #6

Now that is an interesting point. I noticed the filter but didn't disconnect it. I will try that!

Tags
hot water tank bypass