Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

Can anyone identify these things?

Totally new to pop up camping, but I'm wondering what these two things on my camper are for. 1992 Jayco 1006 Pop Up. First photo is some type of metal / aluminum connection with the word "HOT" written on it. Also, is it missing a cover or something? The second item is some kind of plastic drain pipe? But a cap screws on it as well. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Outlet.jpg   Plastic outlet open.jpg   Plastic outlet closed.jpg  
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Team

The top picture is you furnace exhaust and the bottom to are you fresh water fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Can anyone identify these things?

Top picture is a furnace vent, and bottom is fresh water fill.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
The top picture is you furnace exhaust and the bottom to are you fresh water fill.

x2
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Exhaust gasses will come out of the metal furnace vent, so keep stuff away that could melt or burn. You may consider adding a screen over it that camping stores sell to keep out wasps, mice, etc. if they get in, furnace will likely not start, or stop because it can't vent.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Top picture is a furnace vent, and bottom is fresh water fill.

Does the furnace vent suppose to have a hose coming out of it or a cover when not in use? And what does fresh water fill mean? Thanks for our super fast response!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

furnace vent is just as it states. All it does is vent out the hot exhaust. Some people purchase a stainless steel wire mesh to keep critters and bugs out. This is not required.

The fresh water fill; there is an onboard water tank, shove a garden hose, into the port and fill until it starts to over fill. Some popup's have an electric water pump, that will pump water out of the tank to the sink. Some popup's have a manual hand pump at the sink. Also note; many popups have what is called a city water connect. This is where you connect your garden hose right to the camper, and it pressurizes the plumbing so it works like when you are at home.

Now that I have that written, I wonder if that is not your waste water drain, as you say do you connect a hose to it? The straight on view makes it look like the fresh water fill. But if it has male hose threads on it, it will be your sink drain. Easy way to test; remove the cover, pour a couple cups of water down the kitchen sink drain and see if it comes out that port. if it does, it is your sink drain. If it is the drain, most people take an old garden hose cut off a 3 to 5 foot piece from the female end of the hose. This way you do not accidently use it for drinking water. Then they put the cut end into a 5 gallon bucket or a waste tank tote, for disposal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

Umm, parts on the side of a trailer?

I really good at this, give me another one!

lmao -- j/k.

What has already been stated by others are the correct answers.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Now that I have that written, I wonder if that is not your waste water drain, as you say do you connect a hose to it? The straight on view makes it look like the fresh water fill. But if it has male hose threads on it, it will be your sink drain. Easy way to test; remove the cover, pour a couple cups of water down the kitchen sink drain and see if it comes out that port. if it does, it is your sink drain. If it is the drain, most people take an old garden hose cut off a 3 to 5 foot piece from the female end of the hose. This way you do not accidently use it for drinking water. Then they put the cut end into a 5 gallon bucket or a waste tank tote, for disposal.
That's not a fresh water fill, it's a sink drain. Our old pop-up was like that. If you look at it carefully, the threads are wrong to be a fresh waster hook-up; it's the male thread on it, not female, as you would expect for a fresh water fill. What we did was connect a 3' length of garden hose to it with a female end and run it into a 5 gallon bucket.

If you do find a way to use it as a fresh water fill, you'll find a heck of a mess in your trailer. The salesman told it was a fresh water fill, but I didn't believe him, fortunately. What made me question him was where was the sink supposed to drain to?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
That's not a fresh water fill, it's a sink drain. Our old pop-up was like that. If you look at it carefully, the threads are wrong to be a fresh waster hook-up; it's the male thread on it, not female, as you would expect for a fresh water fill. What we did was connect a 3' length of garden hose to it with a female end and run it into a 5 gallon bucket.

If you do find a way to use it as a fresh water fill, you'll find a heck of a mess in your trailer. The salesman told it was a fresh water fill, but I didn't believe him, fortunately. What made me question him was where was the sink supposed to drain to?
Thanks for all your responses. I will test it to see if it's a sink drain. I do have a different connection on the same side of my camper that's labeled "city water" connection. I will assume that this is for hooking up pressurized "city water." However, if city water isn't available, how does one go about using the sink?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwizard View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I will test it to see if it's a sink drain. I do have a different connection on the same side of my camper that's labeled "city water" connection. I will assume that this is for hooking up pressurized "city water." However, if city water isn't available, how does one go about using the sink?
Like was mentioned above, your pop up will have a fresh water tank onboard somewhere. Hidden under a cabinet or a seat or the bed? You use the fresh water fill (not sink drain, and not city water connect) which is on side of trailer as well. It will fill until water pukes out the fill hole and you know it's full.

Now either you have a 12v water pump onboard in the plumbing system somewhere or you have a manual pump faucet on your sink. Your pump will run off the car battery on your trailer if you have one installed. If you have a pump there will be a switch to turn it on somewhere. When you flip the switch you'll hear the pump kick on for 10 seconds or so and then stop. If it doesn't stop you have a problem, shut it back off and troubleshoot.

Either way this is all going to be a good time to check for leaks in tanks, lines and faucets. Don't blindly assume something somewhere isn't leaking because it probably is. A little preventative maintenance and investigation can stop a flooded trailer.

Don't forget to sanitize your fresh water tank, who knows how dirty it is. Google fresh water tank sanitation for RVs, this is very important so you don't get sick.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #12

That's a sink drain for sure. The fresh water fill looked like a little cup on the outside of the trailer. In '92 you flipped the top up and filled the tank. Later they changed to a slide-out cup.

It is easy enough to tell. With the camper set up look inside. If the sink is right there, it's the drain.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

That's one high mounted sink drain. Mine was no where near that high on my Coleman. My drain was a lot lower. Weird. Pic is too small to see threads..using a cell.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's one high mounted sink drain. Mine was no where near that high on my Coleman. My drain was a lot lower. Weird. Pic is too small to see threads..using a cell.
Your right, that is my water fill on my Coleman (don't know about Jayco). It's a pain filling it without a hose though. The sink drain on mine is low as you say and you connect to it with a female hose end from the camper out into a tank or pail. I wish the one pictured was my sink drain though, the drain hole on the molded drain fixture is quite smaller than that which makes for a slow drain.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's what I was thinking. That hole is right beneath the roof latches. I had a Jayco 2005 12hw and the gray water drain was underneath the back bumper on the right side. His popup is a lot older than mine was, but that's mighty high.

I love popups.
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #16

The top one thats silver is your furnace/heater exhaust
other tow have to do with draining water from your sink .
Tango 1 is offline   Reply With Quote