Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Ceiling Kill Switch? Inline fuses?

Hi guys... I'm a new to me with a 2004 10Z. Jayco sent me the electrical schematic and it shows a, "Ceiling Kill Switch", does this shut down the whole electrical system? And where is it located? I looked near the ceiling where the wire bundle is located and didn't see anything. Also, I don't see any inline fuses
where might they hide them? Thanks, Bill
six5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

The kill switch should be easy to find. It is located on the roof top edge, outside of the canvas, making contact with the box edge as the top is lowered. For our 1007 it was located back left (road side) near the post.

With our 1007 it shut off pretty much everything including our fridge, although may have told me that it should not cut out the fridge on 12v. The emergency brakes should always work of course.

Om most Jayco TT's , the inline fuse will be located in a rubber weather resistant holder a few inches from the battery box. Follow your main feed back from the battery box and you should find it quickly. A few TT's (but haven't of this in pup's) you will find the main inline just inside the front wall of the trailer; again follow the positive wire through the front wall to find the location.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

On my 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T model the ceiling kill switch is a plunger switch in the top of the cabinet that houses the fold over Stove Top and Sink portion when you fold over to get ready for transport. This is a safety feature for making sure the 12VDC Light Fixtures will not come 'ON' when the top is lowered for transport. This only shuts off the ceiling lights in my trailer.

Mine looks something like this one from Google Images

Google Image

This was designed for the ceiling lights that uses the very hot 12VDC incandescent automotive bulbs. Since everyone is beginning to change out all of these older very hot bulbs for cool to touch LED panels this feature may not be necessary to have anymore...

My original battery battery setup had an in-line fuse holder just inches away formthe battery to protect the battery cables in case of a short to frame ground. A standard Battery can produce 100s of DC AMPS if it sees a a frame ground short. Could start a fire burning up the battery battery cable...

My original IN-LINE FUSE looked something like this... Mounted within inches of the Positive Battery Terminal..

Google Image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the great info!

Regards, Six5
six5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

You may also have a Battery Disconnect switch that some may call a KILL SWITCH...

The Battery Disconnect switch will shut off every thing going to the 12V Power Distribution Panel but there may still be a few things connected directly to the battery terminal still hot. Most of these items will have a ON-OFF type switch to use so it won't run down the battery on its own...

Some of the motorhome units have this switch located in a good accessible spot.

I have such a switch but it is one of those BLUE SEA ROTARY switches that has an OFF position...

I had to learn ways to keep the batteries in good performance state at all times. These are your life line items when camping haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote