Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Considering New Popup

All:

Been looking at the Sport Series 8 and 10 for our family of 3. I am impressed with the quality and appearance. However, never owning a popup (had a class B), I have some questions that this forum could possibly help with.

With the furnace, does the trailer really stay warm on colder nights (don't plan on winter camping)?

Does the trailer hold up well over the long run. It looks fairly well made ...

How easy/hard is it to get warranty work done as needed? I like the 2 year warranty.

Also looking at the 8 vs the 10, other than size, any real big differences. They both seem to have the same options.

Thanks!
Wannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

"How easy/hard is it to get warranty work done as needed? I like the 2 year warranty."

That depends on your dealer/or dealers in your area more than anything else. I have no problem getting warranty work done on my 5er at the dealer I purchased it from. Could be a different story if I tried to get work done at another dealer. Customers usually have first priority.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Wannacamp! Keep in mind I have never owned a popup, but I`ll give it a try. I do own and use several tents though.

1. Furnace should do a decent job, you can also add a small ceramic electric heater when electric hookups are available. There are things called "PopupGizmos" you can put over the tent ends to help retain heat in Winter and cool in Summer. I have friends who use a hybrid and have camped in the 20`s at night in comfort. Sleeping bags can also add comfort on chilly nights.

2. I have seen popups well over 20 years old in good shape. As with anything they need proper maintanance and TLC. One big thing is to make sure the tentage is always stored dry. If you break camp in the rain, open it up when you get home and dry it out.

3. Warranty work should be fairly easy, provided you have a decent Jayco dealer/authorized service center to deal with. Dealers can vary greatly in their after the sale service. One way or another though, you will find someone to do warranty work if necessary.

4. I Can`t help you with the question about the 8 or 10.

Best of luck!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

2X on the ceramic heater. I set it on the floor and set it to a pretty low temperature then set the furnace to a little lower temp. Furnace never comes on. Keep in mind that I have a hybrid. About a half-hour before we get up I will bump up the temp a bit to warm things up a little.

2X on pop-up-gizmos (got 'em). Some folks have cut reflectix to fit in the zip-up windows on the tent ends (that's on my DO list). All these should keep the insides a little warmer.

The coolest we've experienced so far was around 29F with about 10-15mph wind. We were comfy.

What part of the world does Wannacamp wannacamp in?

WARNING! We (the bride and I) were first interested in a PUP and we chanced to look at a hybrid. Well, the rest is history.........

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #5

Insight from an "8-er"...

Heater...works well for the size of our pup...."toasty" comes to mind. Actually, it could heat a camper twice the size easily.

8 ft floor space...hmmmm...with me, the DW, and the wienerdog, its cozy. We can move around, with minimal problems. With three adults, there might be some elbow-clonking in there, but if at least one person were seated at the table or on a bed, all is well.
On your next trip to the dealer, all three of you need to be in both campers at the same time to get the best judgement of space. Granted, most the time, you all won't be trying to occupy the main floor area of the camper anyway.

Bonus on the 8 footer- no trailer brakes to deal with, and a lighter, easier towing camper.
(Easily moved under people-power too in the driveway)

Our pup is far out of warranty, but it is easy to work on/maintain, easy to get parts for, and make simple repairs.

Hope this helps!

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

I would suggest the 10 foot box. My wife and 2 girls and I had a 1007. Perfect size for a young family
Jayko 141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

Heater: yes will keep nice and warm, however the colder it gets the faster the heat escapes and the more propane you'll burn through. At 29 deg. last fall the heater in our 1007 ran probably 90% of the time at night. You'll also feel "cold spots," e.g near floor, bunk ends. Small fan to circulate warm air helps. I plan to invest in popup gizmos for this fall.

Re: box size, depends on how much you plan to be in it. We (fam. of 4) spend as much time as possible outside and use ours only for sleeping and eating if inclement (we cook and wash outside regardless). I'd think an 8 ft. would be good for an outdoors-minded family of 3. Significant pluses on towing and parking it, as noted earlier.

Warranty work: depends much on the dealer, ours is great.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #8

no info about the popup but welcome from northern california, happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #9

As far as the furnace, we have camped in 20 and 30 degrees, it is toasty and cozy knowing it's so cold outside, and our little home away from home is so warm. We also use mattress pad heaters, we found them at the local thrift shop, I.e. Good Will, they cost us $5, much cheeper than the manufacturers version, they run about 80$ at Target. Between the furnace, the mattress heaters and a typical bed comfortor, a guy can sleep in just his boxers
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #10

All options

I would decide on a style, then explore all makes. I personally would buy a Rockwood product over Jayco. You pay a bit more, however the quality is much higher in my opinion. Would also look for something 2-3 years old as opposed to buying new.... Just my oppinion. Did the new thing and way overpayed, shabby quality and subpar local dealer.. Will never make those mistakes again.
Dee5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #11

I had a popup years ago... July 1st long weekend (Canada) it SNOWED ... (so much that the highways were closed) stayed warm in the RV but it did use a lot of propane...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

Take a look at the resale on jayco versus rockwood, a true measure of quality. jaycos resale is superior
2005 Jayco 1007 - 2007 - 2012
2010 Jayko 141J - 2012 -
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

We ended up with the Starcraft 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with a 12-foot box including a five-foot front deck that is suppose to be used for a ATV but we just use it for camping supplies. I can carry some serious camping supplies with the front deck and the back of the truck. Our camper being the OFF-ROAD type sits high off the ground.

There is only two of us and I would imagine adding a couple of kids would really get a bit crowded inside. There just isnt much floor space in a POPUP.

Ours came with the cassett potti and sit down shower and has all the modern appliances. The furnace is way too hot for us. Very seldom turn it on. The blower sounds like you are setting in the back roll of seats in a MD80 passenger jet if you have ever sit back there before. We use the oil-filled radiator looking type electric heaters in ours when at electric sites. When camping off the power grid use the Mr Buddy heater with the furnace being the absolute backup. We normally use out electric blanket when camping off the power grid. Cant stand it being super hot inside the trailer. Our trailer is beefed-up with more batteries and setup to run all of our appliances we want to use when camping off the power grid and then we have to re-charge our battery bank the next morning by connecting the 30a shore power cable to our 2KW generator using a RV30A-15A adapeter. Usually every where we go has generator use restrictions so we came up with this good plane to run off the batteries for the one day/night camping and then re-charge the batteries the next morning in the short time we are allowed to run our generator.

We have been camping this way for over three years now and it works just fine for us camping off the power grid.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #14

We are new owners of a 2012 Jayco Sport 8. The primary reason we chose the 8 was first for our tow vehicle (2010 Jeep Compass) and secondly for the room that is available in our yard/driveway to park it.

Once we got it home, I was slightly disappointed in the amount of storage. I guess that I had initially planned to pack more in it than needed. After camping out last weekend, I found that we had adequate storage. It thunderstormed both evenings/nights that we camped, so no campfire. Instead we played cards and watched dvd's. We found that it had more than enough room for the two of us.

It did get cool in the evening, and the propane heater worked very well. It heated up very quickly, and we found that we needed to turn the temperature control during the night. We are very pleased with our purchase.

We looked at all makes of used before purchasing new. We chose Jayco because of the price (there was a good sale), and that our dealer sells only new Jayco's. After researching Jayco, we were pleased to learn that they have the best resale value.