Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Converter Help

I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle 10 UD. Last fall I replaced the OEM converter with a WFCO WF8735P converter. I thought I had everything working properly, until today. When on shore power everything works as it should. When I unplug from shore power the lights go out. I am using an older battery but it shows 13.2 volts when not connected to anything. When I have the battery disconnected I am showing 13.8 volts on the wires that go to the battery. I don't think this is possible but it looks like I have electricity running to the battery but not back to the converter. Any suggestions? Thanks
Bobnrtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

Do you remember if it was working properly after you installed the new converter last fall?
If it was, you have something other than your wiring method causing this problem. If it wasn't, I would go to the installation manual to double check the schematic and also check all terminals for proper torque, etc. It does appear that the new converter is putting out the correct voltage for charging the battery.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Nature 1st, Thank you for your input. Last fall I don't think I tried it without shore power. Unfortunately I've had to take the P/U down as severe weather is predicted for this afternoon here in NC. I think I might have an idea why its not working. I may have the battery negative wire from the converter connected to ground and not the the negative side of the battery. I'll try to get it checked out soon.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnrtp View Post
I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle 10 UD. Last fall I replaced the OEM converter with a WFCO WF8735P converter. I thought I had everything working properly, until today. When on shore power everything works as it should. When I unplug from shore power the lights go out. I am using an older battery but it shows 13.2 volts when not connected to anything. When I have the battery disconnected I am showing 13.8 volts on the wires that go to the battery. I don't think this is possible but it looks like I have electricity running to the battery but not back to the converter. Any suggestions? Thanks
Not familiar with you particular trailer but below is the basic Rv converter operation.

Electricity does not run from the battery to the converter. The converter is powered by 120 volts. The converter supplies 12 volts to the RV 12 volt buss fuse system. The converter also charges the battery when it needs it. 12 volts runs from the battery to the 12 volt fuse buss system. The 13.8 is the charging voltage to the battery. The 13.2 is the battery voltage.

When you unplug from shore power you turn off the converter. No 12 volt supply from the converter to the 12 volt buss bar. At this point the battery should be providing the voltage.

There are 2 "reverse polarity" 30/40 amp fuses between the battery and the converter. There is also a resetable main fuse inline within 6' of the battery. You need a volt meter or probe light tester.

Since the lights go out when you unplug the shore power there is a fuse out between the battery and the converter.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Found a loose ground wire on the converter. Fixed that and all works now.