Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Convertor problem?

Hi Everybody,
First post here. New to Pop up ownership. Just bought a 2001 Jayco Qwest 10v. Everything works when working off battery. When I plug it in to the house nothing works at all no interior lights, outlets, porch light, outside outlet. I had disconnected the batteries negative terminal to check if I was getting any power. I replaced the 4 fuses from the convertor, flipped the two breaker switches, and still nothing. Any help and anything else I could do to be sure.
My wife wants to run a pedestal fan when camping. So I imagine that would kill the battery quick. I also bought a new battery because it was dying super fast and not holding a charge.
Thanks and totally looking forward to taking this bad boy out.
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ed-as-To-Cause

Here's a thread on troubleshooting my 12V converter.
I may be confused, but I only thought you had 120V when plugged into shore power.
When running only off the battery, I thought only 12V items were powered.

Check the terminals on your converter output plugged into 120V and battery disconnected.
You should be getting about 13V. If not, the converter is bad.

Read my thread, it has a lot of pictures and where to check your converter.

As far as not having 120V outlets plugged into shore power, that's a different problem.
Check for a GFCI outlet somewhere and see if it trips/resets.

Even if your 12V converter is bad, you should have 120V outlets when plugged into shore power.

May also check voltage at outlet you are plugged into shore power and make sure the breaker isn't tripped on that circuit.

Let us know what you find.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ed-as-To-Cause

I may be confused, but I only thought you had 120V when plugged into shore power.
When running only off the battery, I thought only 12V items were powered.

Check the terminals on your converter output plugged into 120V and battery disconnected.
You should be getting about 13V. If not, the converter is bad.

As far as not having 120V outlets plugged into shore power, that's a different problem.
Check for a GFCI outlet somewhere and see if it trips/resets.

Even if your 12V converter is bad, you should have 120V outlets when plugged into shore power.
Doug is right except it is probably the SAME problem and that is a 120VAC supply problem. The converter that produces 12VDC runs from 120VAC so if there is a problem with the AC power the converter will not operate and then none of the 12V stuff works either. The converter is normally on the 15A circuit breaker and it may also be protected by the GFI. I would solve the AC problem and make sure the converter is being powered before troubleshooting the DC side.

Good Luck!!
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote