Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #41

I bought an Igloo table top ice maker last week. We are now at the campsite and have already used ice from the maker, but there are only two of us. We already have extra ice, because it makes cubes about every 8 minutes. It works for us. We are not in a pop-up, though.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #42

I have a YETI,I keep it WELL packed with water ,beer ,cokes,etc. I find if I stock cooler with COLD products, then Ice down,keep in shade,I can go days with the drinks still cold ,.Trick is to not let it get warm. I stay at Lake Norman N.C. IN THE SUN,and as long as the cooler is outa direct sunlight,it works great. I have a Jayco FQSW ,and its high enough to let me slike the cooler under. I also,take a few drinks out at a time,put in smaller cooler while were sitting out,out put in frige. Also, I try and find the large quantity ice machines,cheaper by far .
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #43

If hot air travels up, where should ice packs be placed, top or bottom of the cooler ?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #44

In my Yeti I use the Yeti ice blocks (flat packs) on the bottom of the chest. Pack with food or drinks then add 1 block of ice. Stays good and cold for about a week.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
I bought an Igloo table top ice maker last week. We are now at the campsite and have already used ice from the maker, but there are only two of us. We already have extra ice, because it makes cubes about every 8 minutes. It works for us. We are not in a pop-up, though.
Poppy
Gotta have electric to make that ice maker work right? Most of the places we camp have no hook ups. I do have a small generator I tote along with us I could run. How much ice (in lbs) do you believe you machine makes?
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #46

2 things we do, we always have Frozen water bottles in the cooler. Also, don't drain the water as it melts. As long as you have even a little bit of ice left the cold water will keep you stuff colder than a drained and topped off with ice cooler.
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdman View Post
Just picked up my Lifetime cooler from Walmart yesterday ($97). Heading out next week for 8 days, will be a good test.
Please let me know how it does!
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #48

Igloo "marine" version does as well as a yeti.
I bought an igloo marine years ago.
I received a yeti as a gift a couple of years ago.
Same performance.
Gotta lock the yeti up though.
No worries with the igloo.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Igloo "marine" version does as well as a yeti.
I bought an igloo marine years ago.
I received a yeti as a gift a couple of years ago.
Same performance.
Gotta lock the yeti up though.
No worries with the igloo.
I have not had the same experience. I’ve tried to make them work, who wouldn’t at $40 vs $400 — but there is no comparison to the premium rotomolded coolers...Yeti, RTIC, Grizzly any of them.

All of which you be need to be aware of where you leave them laying around. Rotomolded coolers are hands down better, which is why they all sell for 100’s of $ vs the injection molded coolers for 10’s of $.

I’m not Anti-Igloo at all either, their Sportsman Series are legit coolers. They too are rotomolded premium products that sell for 10X their injection molded counter parts.

Brand is far less critical than the type of plastic molding used.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #50

Bed of my truck is the "test bed".
I'll stand by my west Texas experience.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #51

Electric cooler

We solved this problem a while ago. We bought a Coleman iceless electric cooler. It can plug into a car charger or 110V outlet. So, we load it with drinks and plug into 110V outlet before we leave to cool them, then plug into car charger while driving and then back to the 110V outlet of the camper (assumes you're at an electric site).

We keep it inside the camper on top of our 1007 cabinet. Like having a 2nd refrigerator. I think it has 40 quart capacity. Solves a lot of the ice problem.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #52

I have a Coleman 5 day cooler that works great for me. I typically load it with frozen meat in vacuum sealed bags, beverages and as much ice as will fit in it. I keep it under the trailer so it's always shaded. My ice usually lasts about 4-5 days this way. I will take 3 or 4 cans out at a time and transfer them to the fridge, the more you open it, the faster the ice melts. Another trick I learned is to cut a piece of reflectix insulation (the silver looking bubble wrap stuff) to fit inside the opening so it sits down on top of the ice and food, the added layer of insulation really helps. Always make sure the lid is closed tight and the cooler is opened as little as possible.
The electric coolers are good in moderate temps, they cool to 40 deg. below ambient temp. They will freeze food if it's cold out and if it's 85 deg.+ food will spoil. Good luck.
jack straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #53

I used to have a Coleman 5 day. They are ok.
I don't buy into the whole Yeti due to price.
But the Ozark Trail Coolers are well worth it.
I have 3 of the Ozark Trail and can vouch they are as good at a Yeti or Rtic, for much less money.
26 Quart with the Handle - Its a little small, but holds 2 bags of ice, that I keep for clean drinking ice.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...ooler/49229405
----
52 Quart chest, this is the basic regular size. With wire tray, works like a boss, keeping ice for 7 days in 100 degree weather.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...ooler/49229404
---
They have a larger, less than 73 quart, more than 52 quart with wheels on it. This is my new one, 197.00 and it is much easier to move around.
It is not on their site, but they have them inshore.
---
I also have 2 of the ~30 can soft side a 1 of the larger soft side (48 cans?)
They are also yeti quality and performance.

The Vandwellers on Reddit also swear by them since they are cost effective.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #54

We do a number of extended RV trips of 2 weeks to 2 months. We bought an ice maker on Amazon for about 100 bucks. Since we always stay at sites with electricity, I just make ice cubes and throw them in the cooler. We usually only have one cooler and it holds drinks. We keep the more important stuff like meat in the frig. When we have room in our rv freezer....I supplement my ice production with "blue ice".
soonerduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #55

I keep my drain plug open. The ice lasts longer not floating in water. Using big blocks of ice, freeze up in cool whip type tubs before trip or water bottles like suggested makes a big difference too.
mjbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #56

I use silicone bread molds to make large blocks of ice and use them with coleman 5 day coolers. Works great, just have to remember to start producing the ice before the trip !
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #57

I reuse Tetra Pak Iogo foil aluminum yogurt bags. I fill with water and freeze at home. Since they have a cap, as they melt, they don’t leak. We also have a Coleman electric cooler that plugs in to the car as well as ac current. We pre chill it before heading out.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote