Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #1

Couple of questions about a 09 2009 jayco 1206

Hello all. I have a couple of questions about my 09 1206 with slide out. First one is when I raise the roof it pops almost when it seems to hit the next stage (about 2ft ish up). The original owner had told me that it has done that since new, and he had contacted Jayco and then told him it was a normal condition. I have only had it since April, so I have raised it around ten times, and each time it does pop..sometimes it is hardly noticeable..sometimes it pops pretty good. I can feel it in the crank..and have tried to slow down when I think it's coming. Any thoughts? Next question is about my bed slides...my queen end seems to go in and out ok..but my king end is a bit tough?!? It seems like I have to lift it a bit on the pull out..and push downward on the push in. I am always a nervous nelly about the slide out canvas ( had a close call on my third driveway set up) so I don't know if its a mental thing or if just because the king is huge its just tough to get where you want it.
Hammer0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Hi Hammer, my 1995 Jayco 1206 (no slide out) also does that same "pop" noise you mentioned as I crank to the top up. It does it every time too. I don't think it's an issue. Also my king side bunk is a little harder to pull out, I have to kind of lift it upwards near full extension since the bed is heavier and kind of is flexing on the rails prior to installing the support bars underneath. Just go slow pulling those out or sliding back in, and don't force anything.
Webcompanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

We had 2 Jayco Pop-ups. The lift design hasn't change significantly since Jayco got patents on this design back in the '60s. The "pop" is caused by the cable sliding sideways over itself on the main pulley by the crank handle. Nothing to be concerned about. If you've ever used a weed whacker and had the line get stuck because it wrapped on top of itself, that's essentially what's happening here. But because the cable winds back up smoothly it doesn't get tangled like the weed whacker. I know this because our first PUP needed a lot of work and I had all the cabinets out to replace rotted flooring. I was able to watch the entire crank system and see how it worked. I hope that helps!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

our king bed in our 1007 will tweak the rails really bad. did not know why it was so difficult to pull out and push in all the time. on inspecting the rails they had actually gotten deformed from the king hanging out there until the bed supports were installed. what we do now is pull it out and with the wife supporting the end ever so slightly , I install the supports. that takes the pressure off the rails and helps them not to get tweaked. so maybe look at your rails and see if they are deformed at all. ours slides significantly better now. lubrication from time to time also helps on the rails and the roof supports. we do need to lift up a bit so it doesn't catch on the weatherstrip on the camper body. hope that helps.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for the input. I just returned from a long weekend and feel much better with everything. Set up and take down went super smooth, and the in between time was fantastic. The only bummer was I picked up a pea size gouge in my roof, which I have no real idea what happened. I was not directly under any trees, so I think it might have been self inflected while parked in my garage...which makes me want to cry..but I will get over it. Little caulk fill should be ok I assume?
Hammer0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

A small square of Eternabond would probably be better than caulk. The caulk will work but likely break down and leak again more quickly than Eternabond. They sell the stuff in big rolls for doing seam repair jobs... much, much more than you need for this. If you PM me your address I can throw a square in the mail and you can use that. I bought the roll for a repair last year and have a bunch left over.
http://www.eternabond.com/rv-leak-re...ducts-s/22.htm
Webcompanion is offline   Reply With Quote