Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #1

Cranking down 12UDK

I have camped for many years starting out with a Starcraft pop-up then to a Jayco 5th wheel... Haven’t been camping for about 10 years now. kids were in activities and sold the 5th wheel. After getting the kids raised and out of the house..I am ready to get back to the camping life and have found a Jayco 12 UDK which I think will be fine for now. Haven’t cranked it up because I am not sure how the crank system works to come back down. The Starcraft that I started with had a ratcheting system that you had to release the lock to lower the top. I did not see this on the Jayco and was just wondering how it comes back down. I do not want to damage anything by just winging it and do not want to crank it up until I know it will come back down... Any help is appreciated!
Memaonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #2

Crank it clockwise to raise and counter clockwise to lower. That's all there is to it. No levers or gears need to be switched. By the way welcome to the forum.
Bobnrtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #3

Thank you...I read the owners manual and I thought that was how it came down..but didn’t want to just assume. I am really excited to get back into the camping world again and excited to get started on making this little camper my home away from home.
Memaonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Yep...just as stated above. I have a 12UD...welcome to the forum.
Mark_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

One thing to watch when you raise and especially lower a popup is that one corner doesn't get "stuck". If your spouse or kids says one side isn't going down stop and raise back up to all equal. Then try lowering it more slowly and possibly with a little help pulling it down or jiggling it. There is slide lube for those arms if it starts happening. One cause of problems is lowering too quickly and the the cable has to much slack so it jumps off pulley. Smooth ups and downs are better on the system. The last couple of inches may need some hands pulling the corners down to compress the canvas. Always a good idea to make sure you don't leave something sticking up and preventing it from closing. Watch that you don't have any canvas sticking out where the shells come together.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
If you raise, or lower the roof, with the jack stands down, u will jamb a corner ..... the body needs to be able to flex!