Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Do I have an AC problem?

We recently bought a 2009 jayco pop up with a coleman mach AC and this last weekend was our first time out.

We had some trouble with our AC and I need a level set on whether it was us or the AC.

It was 91-93 degrees all weekend long and we had no shade.

We ran it when we first arrive around 5pm on Friday and it got fridged and was cold all night.

Around 10am the next day it was very cold and we left to go fishing and left it running full blast with the shades open while we were gone. when we got back around 1pm, it was warm in the camper. I shut it off for a couple of hours thinking maybe it was froze outside hoping it would thaw. Later that night we came back and turned it on. IT did cool things down and got cold enough overnight for us.

The next day came around and the heat of the day brought some struggle again for the but with the shades down it was decent until we packed up around noon.

Did we over work this unit or should it keep up? Any thoughts on what the problem may be?
mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

90 + degrees, direct sun, in a pop up with almost zero insulation...sounds like your AC did fantastic.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
90 + degrees, direct sun, in a pop up with almost zero insulation...sounds like your AC did fantastic.
X2.

A/C on a popup won't cool like your house in the conditions you described. All I ever was concerned about with mine (was a Coleman Mach, also) was comfortable sleeping conditions. It did that well.

If you had some shade, it would have made a big difference. But the canvas provides no insulating capability.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

It would be nice to know what the temp was at the discharge vents on the A/C unit

I also agree with the post by wags99.

Next time try to find a shady campsite and also keep the shades closed.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #5

An AC unit will freeze up if left running full blast in high temps. Had this happen one time and n my PU. Talked the the AC guy at work and he said to put it on low cool and turn down the temp ( Let it get a little warmer) Never had that problem again.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Thanks for your help.

Just an update. The dealership checked it out and I have a 31 degree delta which is good. The seal between the roof and the AC was bad allowing it to suck in warm air. I haven't tested it yet but hopefully that helps.
mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote