Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

door gap?

Hi Everyone, I just picked up a 2007 1008 pop up and i have a concern about this door gap pictured below. I didnt notice it when i picked up the camper, but i did after my first weekend out. When i install the door there was a very tiny gap that on both sides of the door. It almost seems like the trailer is sagging. Underneath and inside the trailer i see no signs of damage, everything actually looks immaculate, with no signs of any water on any of the wood in the area. When i close the top and fasten the latch i do notice a little movement to the back right corner of the trailer and that gap closes up about 1/8 " up top. Could this gap just be poor craftsmanship or something broken/bent? Thanks.

bhom920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

Unless the gap is pronounced it is normal. The door frame has a slight flare to the top so that the full-size drop in door does not bind when dropping into place especially when the stabilizer jacks are tight (flexes the opening closed a bit at the top).

Hard to tell from that picture, but it does not appear to be unusually large from this vantage.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Unless the gap is pronounced it is normal. The door frame has a slight flare to the top so that the full-size drop in door does not bind when dropping into place especially when the stabilizer jacks are tight (flexes the opening closed a bit at the top).

Hard to tell from that picture, but it does not appear to be unusually large from this vantage.
Thanks. It's a large enough gap to leave about 1/16 of space between the door frame (the large one) about 1-2" down from the top edges of the walls. I ended up buying 1/2" weather stripping to fill that void. I did not notice this when i googled photos of the 1008 model with the door behind the axle, and i also noticed not many campers with the door behind the axle.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

With your weather strip in place and all closed up spray some water from a strong hose at it to act like driving in the rain. If no water inside, all is good.

These popups flex a lot while driving, setting up, etc.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
With your weather strip in place and all closed up spray some water from a strong hose at it to act like driving in the rain. If no water inside, all is good.

These popups flex a lot while driving, setting up, etc.
thanks!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Looks like the frame is out of square.

Check the side with a square with the door opened and then see if it moves more with the door closed.

To fix you would have to remove the door ,plug the screw holes then attach the frame checking with a square.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Looks like the frame is out of square.

Check the side with a square with the door opened and then see if it moves more with the door closed.

To fix you would have to remove the door ,plug the screw holes then attach the frame checking with a square.
Except that on a popup the door frame is not supposed to be square. They should flare slightly to the top so that the main door does not bind when installed and the trailer is leveled.

If worried about a bent frame, just put a long (6' or so) level or straight edge against the main frame members lefty and right. If there is a large gap in the middle, or wildly different gaps between sides, then it may be bent. But again, these are designed for some flex, so a bit of gap would generally be okay. I would suggest checking both in transport mode and in level and stabilized mode to be more certain.

IMO anything that would bend the frame like that would probably badly deform the axle tube first.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Except that on a popup the door frame is not supposed to be square. They should flare slightly to the top so that the main door does not bind when installed and the trailer is leveled.
Thanks for the info.
So his is normal?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:

If worried about a bent frame, just put a long (6' or so) level or straight edge against the main frame members lefty and right. If there is a large gap in the middle, or wildly different gaps between sides, then it may be bent. But again, these are designed for some flex, so a bit of gap would generally be okay. I would suggest checking both in transport mode and in level and stabilized mode to be more certain.

IMO anything that would bend the frame like that would probably badly deform the axle tube first.

good call on the level, i will try that when i get the chance. Thanks