Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #1

Dual hitch receiver/bike rack/weight distribution

hi all,

Has anyone used a dual hitch receiver for a bike rack and a weight distribution system?

Trying to find a solution to bring along the bikes while not having to purchase another rack to mount onto the tent trailer.

Thanks, Trevor
TeeDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Im not sure if you should imo. I think it would add some length to your hitch and might alter the turning radius and affect backing up. It will also add alot of tongue weight, so depending on what your tv is (if you're towing with a minivan you'll probably be over your tw).
Best bet would probably be a roof mounted rack (tv or camper if it can support the weight).
erich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback.

After looking more closely, I've decided its a bad idea too. Instead I am building an adjustable rack that bolts onto the frame.

will post some pics as progress happens.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDubs View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

After looking more closely, I've decided its a bad idea too. Instead I am building an adjustable rack that bolts onto the frame.

will post some pics as progress happens.
Just keep in mind that anything you install on the front end of the trailer, or behind the TV axle will add to your tongue weight. Again, it all depends on your vehicle. If towing with a minivan or small SUV, you will easily bust your limit. This is why I suggested a roof mounted rack, as it won't add as much weight to your tongue.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

Update: I built my own bike rack based on some photos I saw online. Holds four and lowers to allow the bunks to slide out. ��
Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

Pics of rack

Here are the pics.

Hard to see with the black
Attached Thumbnails
6CAB52DF-A6AF-41AD-9345-79BB28B747B3.jpg   BC859A26-BFCB-4B96-97E7-0CB1B0291EC1.jpg  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Now THAT is a nice piece of work! Really well thought out and simple design. You might want to think about making a drawing that you can share with others. Who's fork mounts did you use?

I assume the eye bolts are for attaching straps?

Would be really nice to see a picture of this with the bikes mounted up!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Agreed. That is very nice work!
X2 on the pic with bikes mounted
Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

thanks for the positive feedback guys. I am quite happy with the result although I have not road tested it yet. Lots of test fits due to the propane tank, and dual batteries on the tongue.

From my static testing, the forks should be close to even with the roof line or higher so the bikes can't rotate forward and slam back into the roof. The eye bolts are for ratchet straps to hook to. I also added one near the ball mount to keep the unit from moving back and forth as there is some play in the vertical metal tubes.

The fork mounts are from Amazon: Delta Cycle BH1002N Bike Hitch Locking Fork Mount. Relatively cheap and seem sturdy enough to do the trick. I like that you can "lock" the mount and if anything to prevent the quick release from opening during a trip out.

I'll post a bike pic soon. I've also decided to strap the loose wheel to the frame and supported by the pedal. Gives me a place to store the wheels and prevents the pedals rotating backwards and potentially causing damage to the roof.

I'll work on the sketch.

Trevor
Old 07-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

Hi all, Just decided to upload a bunch of pics of the progress instead of a sketch

Had the trailer out a few times and the bikes held solid. I ended up putting a velcro strip on the roof to hold the back wheels so they didn't jump around.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0866.jpg   IMG-0100.jpg   IMG-0124.jpg   IMG-9859.jpg   IMG-9860.jpg  

IMG-0274.jpg   rack.jpg