Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

easy way to secure propane tanks on tongue?

The stock setup for the 20# propane tank on our Jayco 1007 is kind of a pain. The tank(s) sit on two parallel angle brackets that have holes drilled to mate with the holes in the collar around the base of the tank. The tanks are secured with short bolts and nuts or wing nuts. But it's not easy to get at those bolts, and it's especially hard to get a wrench on the inboard one as it's right up against the bulge of the tank bottom and you practically have to lie on your back to see it. Having to remove two of 'em to refill the tank, and then put thread lock on 'em each time to prevent their vibrating off in transit, can get pretty tiresome. Does anyone have a better way? The dealer told me about something Coleman made called tank hangers, which was kind of a tensioning rod that hooked over the top of the tank, but apparently they're not made anymore.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #2

I picked up a set of coleman J hooks on ebay. There might still be some there. It was still a pain to take the tanks on and off, so I picked up a double tank base with bracket from a localRV dealer and just bolted it on just behind the tongue jack. I like having the double tanks, and its a breeze to attach an d unattached the tanks when needed.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

Same issue for me Rapidly.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
The stock setup for the 20# propane tank on our Jayco 1007 is kind of a pain. The tank(s) sit on two parallel angle brackets that have holes drilled to mate with the holes in the collar around the base of the tank. The tanks are secured with short bolts and nuts or wing nuts. But it's not easy to get at those bolts, and it's especially hard to get a wrench on the inboard one as it's right up against the bulge of the tank bottom and you practically have to lie on your back to see it. Having to remove two of 'em to refill the tank, and then put thread lock on 'em each time to prevent their vibrating off in transit, can get pretty tiresome. Does anyone have a better way? The dealer told me about something Coleman made called tank hangers, which was kind of a tensioning rod that hooked over the top of the tank, but apparently they're not made anymore.
Yep,
I struggle with the same thing.
I have replaced the nuts with wing nuts and lock washers so I don't need to use any tools. Haven't had any issue with loosening in transit.

I was thinking of going with the dual tank T-bracket. Just haven't looked at it yet. Also, could look at threaded rod on each side of tank with a bracket across the top. Kind of like the dual tank bracket, but modified for a single tank.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

When you are retired you have time to work on these things..... you guys got me thinking again about this. As Doug says .. is sure is a struggle when you want to top off the propane tank.

I found a site where a "lad" suggested using ratchet straps. I'm going to try it.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelldawg View Post
I found a site where a "lad" suggested using ratchet straps. I'm going to try it.
Now that sounds like an easy and good thing to do. I'm gonna try it too, thanks muelldawg. Thanks to all others for input too!
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

This is what I have for my setup... Works good.

My two propane tanks look like this under the pull over cover

I just drilled a hole down thru the wing nut and the frame and used a long shank lock...

Of course there is nothing you can save from thief if they have bolt cutters or dremel tools... All you can do is slow them down and maybe they will go after your neighbor camper instead of yours...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
This is what I have for my setup... Works good.

My two propane tanks look like this under the pull over cover

I just drilled a hole down thru the wing nut and the frame and used a long shank lock...

Of course there is nothing you can save from thief if they have bolt cutters or dremel tools... All you can do is slow them down and maybe they will go after your neighbor camper instead of yours...

Roy Ken
Great idea drilling a hole for a lock. I love these forums.
2005 Jayco 1007 - 2007 - 2012
2010 Jayko 141J - 2012 -
Jayko 141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #9

Everything has a bad side however - The more locks you have the more keys you have to keep track of. I finally came up with keeping my spare keys for everything in my truck glove box. All the spares are all together on a key ring. My truck has the pushbutton key access ... I had to resort to a hacksaw myself on a couple of occasions...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Update on ratchet straps: not so good; I was not able to get our single 20 pound tank as tight with ratchet straps as it is with the present 2 bolts on bottom of tank - It would wobble

I did find the "J hooks" arrangement on E-Bay for $29. It does not look that much quicker to unhook than the 2 bolts we have. And it seemed to be less secure. Their are plenty of other products but the additional weight, price, and exercise to fit them to our TT frame, make our 2 bolts seem less troublesome.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Team

As I look closely at the LP tanks and how that hold down bar goes from one tank to the other, with only a little grove that rests on the tanks lip, I think that all you would have to do is stick a solid 1/2" steel rod under the end of the "U" shaped bracket and with a little pressure/leverage pop it off the lip of the LP tank and remove it. I would think that the best place would be to lock the tanks down using the base of the tank to the TT's frame
Just a thought. Re thinking the lock I put on mine.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #12

The key issue is real. I recently had my batteries stolen off the trailer. In the process I added a cable lock on the propane tanks - simple and probably not real secure master lock similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-84...rds=cable+lock

I keep the keys to this and my batteries in the front storage compartment of the trailer. Just put a screw in at an angle so the key's don't fall off the screw. To me it is more about the visual deterrent than anything else...

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
:lightbulb:

Also got tired of the acrobatics (skinned knuckles, finger cramps, etc.) needed to R&R my LP tank. Pix of my solution (around 10 bucks at the hardware store) is attached [those are 1/8" cable, eye bolts, turnbuckle, S-hook & 6" cuts from an old garden hose]. Two minutes to take off, two minutes to reinstall. No wrist braces or bandaids!
Attached Thumbnails
tank tie-down.jpg  

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

The first accessory I added to my 1007 was a proper dual tank propane rack like most other TT's have.
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT...ck+for+trailer

$31 on Amazon. Fits right between the existing rails. Secure with a couple of self-tap screws and you are set.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote