Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2024, 11:11 PM   #1

Electrical Issue

Hello, I'm new to campers and the Jayco manuals are pretty useless with issues.

I have a 2005 Jayco Jay 1007.

Either my converter is shot or I'm not doing something right.

When plugged into shore power the fridge will cool down and outlets work. However, the furnace, water pump and interior/exterior lights do not work.

When I unplug and just run off battery and propane, everything works as it should.

Does this sound right? If I remember right, last year when I bought the trailer and I was plugged into shore power everything worked.

Thanks for any feedback.
createdtomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:37 AM   #2

No, it is not right. This does not make any sense to me. Just for the heck of it, there are two fuses beside each other and either 30 or 40 amp. See if they are good.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:13 AM   #3

When unplugged, the battery will power all 12 volt devices. All 120 volt devices will be dead.

When plugged in, the battery still powers all 12 volt devices, the converter will charge the battery, and all 120 volt devices will work.

Plugging in should not affect the 12 volt system other than operating at a slightly higher voltage due to the charge voltage of mid 13s to mid 14s coming from the converter.

Can't imagine what might cause your problem. To try to isolate, get a voltmeter and measure across the battery. When unplugged from shore power it should read mid 12s. When plugged in it should read mid 13s to mid 14s. If you get these readings then the converter is working properly.

When the problem occurs I would once again check the battery voltage and then check the voltage at the fuse panel. Should read very close to the same.

Another quick test would be to plug in and then trip the breaker for the converter. This will take the converter out of the equation.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
No, it is not right. This does not make any sense to me. Just for the heck of it, there are two fuses beside each other and either 30 or 40 amp. See if they are good.

Thanks Kevin, I've checked fuses, reset breakers as well as checked all wires and connections. All looks good. One new thing is a powdery substance in the compartment with the converter. Looks like drywall dust, maybe road debris coming through hole, or maybe residue from the converter blowing. We'll see.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
When unplugged, the battery will power all 12 volt devices. All 120 volt devices will be dead.

When plugged in, the battery still powers all 12 volt devices, the converter will charge the battery, and all 120 volt devices will work.

Plugging in should not affect the 12 volt system other than operating at a slightly higher voltage due to the charge voltage of mid 13s to mid 14s coming from the converter.

Can't imagine what might cause your problem. To try to isolate, get a voltmeter and measure across the battery. When unplugged from shore power it should read mid 12s. When plugged in it should read mid 13s to mid 14s. If you get these readings then the converter is working properly.

When the problem occurs I would once again check the battery voltage and then check the voltage at the fuse panel. Should read very close to the same.

Another quick test would be to plug in and then trip the breaker for the converter. This will take the converter out of the equation.
Thanks Jim, I'll give all this a try.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:07 AM   #6

Problem solved. I put it in a new converter and everything works.