Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Extra storage underneath??

Has anyone made or bought any way to add some more storage underneath their pop up? I've seen some companies that sell drawer systems that bolt up to the frame and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this. I have a 2017 12SC and am thinking of somewhere to put small things like folding camping chairs and tools and stuff like that so that I can keep them out of the inside of the camper while traveling.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Basement storage

I have similar thoughts, a few concerns I have:
1. Adding too much weight
2. Keeping items clean and secure
3. Sufficient ground clearance especially some driveways

Keep us posted on your progress, good luck.
NickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I have similar thoughts, a few concerns I have:
1. Adding too much weight
2. Keeping items clean and secure
3. Sufficient ground clearance especially some driveways

Keep us posted on your progress, good luck.
Concerns? All of the above but primarily 2 and 3. Had a pup many years ago and added a canvas roof enclosed tote. Light weight and could handle a lot of stuff up there. Kept the weight down but filled it with folding chairs, sleeping bags, etc. back then there wasn't much ground clearance underneath and trying something like that seems like more trouble than its worth.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Thumbs up Extra storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Concerns? All of the above but primarily 2 and 3. Had a pup many years ago and added a canvas roof enclosed tote. Light weight and could handle a lot of stuff up there. Kept the weight down but filled it with folding chairs, sleeping bags, etc. back then there wasn't much ground clearance underneath and trying something like that seems like more trouble than its worth.
I agree, I have used those waterproof totes and hauled multiple items on top of my SUV with much success on a number of trips from NC to the midwest.
NickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

I built a plywood box out of 1/4" plywood that I mounted on the top of our popup. Unloaded I didn't have a problem raising the popup. About 18" wide, 18" tall and around 6 ft. long. The leading edge was at an angle to cut down on wind resistance.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #6

The light weight roof top tote secured on top of the pup can be loaded [top down] and quickly unloaded [before raising the roof] and mounted there wind is blocked by the Suv. At the site you can set it aside and use it to pack away outside stuff at night or when not needed. Out of site things are safer.

Under the frame is just not a good plan. You'll arrive with stuff covered in mud and road grime or missing all together.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #7

what i was thinking is something made out of aluminum that is no more than 5-6" in height that has a lockable door on it. essentially it would be a sealed box. I don't want it to go any lower than what my lowest point is now because of ground clearance. I'm thinking of putting a bike rack on the top and so I think the tote idea won't work for me.
I'm thinking of things like camping chairs, maybe fold up table. hoses, extension cords that I can just store with the camper and not have to store in the shed in a tote.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalspectical View Post
what i was thinking is something made out of aluminum that is no more than 5-6" in height that has a lockable door on it. essentially it would be a sealed box. I don't want it to go any lower than what my lowest point is now because of ground clearance. I'm thinking of putting a bike rack on the top and so I think the tote idea won't work for me.
I'm thinking of things like camping chairs, maybe fold up table. hoses, extension cords that I can just store with the camper and not have to store in the shed in a tote.
Go for it, I want to see pics of the chairs and table that will fit in a 5 or 6" tall box. Why are you asking for our opinion if you already have your mind made up. I think we have made our thoughts known. Good luck!!

Tags
storage space, under frame